Punkbuster wtf ?!?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I bought Cod4 for a tenner off Steam recently. Blasted through the SP (shortest game ever ?), tried the multiplayer, won't work. Punkbuster kicks me every time. Tried downloading PBSetup.exe. Ran it. No difference. No Punkbuster exes ever start. If I run the seyup prog from desktop it appears to work but nothing ever happens as a result of it. Googled and tried running it from my PB folder in CoD4 in Steam. No option to select which game I want to update. Just a blank list.

This is fucking annoying. I shouldn't have to piss around like this to play a game I fucking paid for :eek:

I never had this promblem with WaW on Steam back on my XP installation. It just worked. Never had to do anything.

psyc1one

Loyal Freddie
can you add CoD4 manually via the "add a game" button in pbsetup?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yes - makes no difference.

The manual doesn't help either.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
you said "back on xp" - you on 7 ? tried running it Admin ?

and made sure you havent got an old version clogging it up ? try to uninstall it

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yes, yes, yes and yes :)

Actually, since I re-installed PB services manually just now I get a different error. After 5 mins I get:

Disallowed Program/Driver (125120)

iirc

Googling...

*sigh*

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It is.

Googled. Disabled Steam Overlay. Re-started game. Worked fine.

Punkbuster == Epic Fail :eek:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Steam puts an overlay on the games. Punkbuster checks for generic overlays as they can be used by cheat programs. Punkbuster is too stupid to understand the Steam overlay is not a cheat program so it bounces you out.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Steam -> Settings -> In Game -> Enable Steam Community In-game (untick)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
More like Steam are so stupid they implement stuff they know causes issues. It's not punkbuster's fault Steam is such horrible bloated shite it has pointless overlays.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
We have a bit of a CSS crisis at the moment, and I've installed every game I can think of to see if I can play something else for a bit.

Out of them all, CoD4 and BC2 are my favourites. Aside from the nade spam , I like CoD4 MP much more than MW2.

And CoH of course, but thats a different sort of game.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
More like Steam are so stupid they implement stuff they know causes issues. It's not punkbuster's fault Steam is such horrible bloated shite it has pointless overlays.

The overlay is far from pointless, in fact it's jolly handy indeed. Plus steam really isn't that bloated at all.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Cha, it must be Wazz says so!! :eek: And you cant get Quakeworld on it, so it's doubly pointless! :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's turrrrrd.

I'm fulling expecting one day to have to use Steam, but I still have no need for it, thankfully. Hoping this can continue for long, sunny days to come.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The only turd is you, for not seeing the light. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Have to say I agree with you there ECA.

Cheer up Wazz. Steam's definately FTW :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
In the system tray, steam takes a whole 15,876k of memory.

It's pretty bloatfree - the discounts are great ( I only buy stuff on discount ) and pickup a bunch of stuff ( very few games I care enough to buy on release anymore ) so I end up with 3-4x as many games for the same price and no worries about losing discs/cdkeys/serials/etc.

You can invite people across games to come play w/ you or when they login they can see where you are, the overlay I don't use much - but that's because I multimonitor - I imagine for single monitor players it's a godsend being able to IM on fullscreen mode.

blahblahblah etc.

Valve are not apple, it's not a douchestore :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Must say, I think Steam is great, the only thing I dont much like about it is the server browser.

Sometimes though people who dont use it, thats all they think it is.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Steam isn't that great and Valve are trying to do an Apple (bring everything under their banner like they came up with it in the first place). Some of the deals are really good though and I don't miss having to manually patch games.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I much prefer manual patching (yes I know you can turn off auto-updates but it's bugged to fuckery).

One thing you have to remember is that working for a games company that deliver their game via Steam I'm privvy to stuff you aren't, hence some of my reasons for not liking it. It's a LOT more trouble than it's worth in most cases.

I also much prefer having physical copies of games. Really dislike buying something and then not actually owning a copy I can hold.

The only thing that will get me on Steam is if there is a game that I HAVE to play that is only through Steam. That hasn't happened yet, and doesn't look too likely to happen. I'm not a massive gamer these days, pretty much all I play is QuakeLive so there's basically no reason for me to have Steam, you don't need to push it to people who don't like it/need it for valid reasons. :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I have, however, become frustrated with the stupid annoying boss fights. Why haven't games progressed past the "avoid boss attacks and then strike only at certain moments to inflict damage" gameplay mechanic yet? This isn't 1994 anymore.

It's a dull, lazy way of making something more 'difficult' and frankly it's not fun. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have, however, become frustrated with the stupid annoying boss fights. Why haven't games progressed past the "avoid boss attacks and then strike only at certain moments to inflict damage" gameplay mechanic yet? This isn't 1994 anymore.

It's a dull, lazy way of making something more 'difficult' and frankly it's not fun. :)

Agreed, although I'd say 1984 ;)

There's a few things that I'd like to see happen in games but nowadays the industry is too proper-business like. And businesses are concerned with the bottom line.

Hence the glut of exactly-the-same-but-not-quite-(but-are) FPS's out there :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom