News Public expenditure

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Found this to be a bit of a shocker...

BBC News - Government shines light on spending over £25,000

Prince Charles also got a cheque from the Ministry of Justice for £667,000 - rent for Dartmoor prison, which is on his land. He was also paid £677,000 by the Army for access to Dartmoor.

Fuck me that is a bunch of money for a rental of a 10 acre prison site and he can charge massive money for access to Dartmoor? Surely that is public land and the money should go to the public purse?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if its duchy of cornwall land, its not public land :)

and who gives a shit anyway ?
700k? please, like that would help

/edit
no i know , it would pay for an ENTIRE WHOLE TEN MORE MPs... where do i not sign ?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What this guy said:

"And that's where I think the critical issue is - that what is being released is not in fact information, it is data. And data needs context to become information, and it is provision of that context that will be important."

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Everyone cares when we realise we need money :<

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
if its duchy of cornwall land, its not public land :)

and who gives a shit anyway ?
700k? please, like that would help

/edit
no i know , it would pay for an ENTIRE WHOLE TEN MORE MPs... where do i not sign ?

He inherited that land though, it belongs to the country and yet he can earn a damn fine crust off it. :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would do too in his position.

Anyway, I would rather that than have Dartmoor closed, it is one of the few places left where you can get away with wild camping. A group of us are planning on walking North to South for charity in the summer, carrying our kit and food.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I would do too in his position.

Anyway, I would rather that than have Dartmoor closed, it is one of the few places left where you can get away with wild camping. A group of us are planning on walking North to South for charity in the summer, carrying our kit and food.

I am not condeming to the bloke really, I am just a bit shocked we are renting at the prices we do. After all he earns a whackload from the Dutchy of Cornwall as well (£17 million iirc) and republican or monarchist the land belongs to the country and not the individual surely? He just holds in trust?

Those rent prices are a drop in the ocean with regards to the national budget but in a time of osterity it would be nice to see those prices drop enough to maybe keep maybe 20 police officers on the beat? Small change I know but really, nearly £700k for a ten acre site is fucking huge right?

As for Dartmoor itself, stunning. I envy you your trip bud, hope you have a blast.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Small change I know but really, nearly £700k for a ten acre site is fucking huge right?

not sure about huge, you'd need to look at figures for similar plots of land. Also is it rent for a year period, or longer? If it's rent at market value, then I see no issue.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well you can buy an amazing 4 bedroom house with 6.5 acres of it's own land nearby for £650,000 so £700,000 a year for rent does seem somewhat steep. The prison itself is around 10 acres although it does come with some surrounding land outside the prison which they are also leasing even though it is not in actual use taking it up to 50 acres. Still it seems very steep for an annual rental and yes there is every indication that the payment is annual from the few sites I have read. It seems that parliment wanted this looking into as far back as 2005 as well but it the story never seemed to go anywhere.

It just seems a bit wrong to me that the Duchy of Cornwall can make such huge profits for leasing out land and property that effectively belongs to the state. £37 million is a huge income and far exceeds that of the Queen herself.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Well you can buy an amazing 4 bedroom house with 6.5 acres of it's own land nearby for £650,000 so £700,000 a year for rent does seem somewhat steep.

maybe the rent includes maintenance. pretty damn expensive to keep i believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom