Psp

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
The biggest thing to happen to mobile gaming since the GB.

Apparently, the PSP is going to be region free. Atleast for games, that is. This is quite possibly the most significant thing Sony can do to push their PSP sales through the roof. Of course, other than selling it for a pound, but that'll never happen. :) Though pricing isn't going to be too harsh, as originally feared. It'll go on sale in Japan for the equivelant of just over £130, and i've heard it'll retail for between $150~$180 in the US.

All the PSP needs now is a wide selection of games. That's not to say it's without any good games 'pon release though. :)

Whoa, happy days!

Courtesy of Spong
After yesterday’s announcement of an official Japanese release date, the question of whether or not the PSP will be region-locked has once again surfaced to the fore. And the good news is, as suggested by certain murmurings on the SPOnG forums yesterday evening, it’s not region locked (at least, not for games). Speaking to IGN on behalf of SCEA, Molly Smith stated “For games on PSP there is no region code. However, due to language and system issues, quality assurance procedures are done in each territory. Therefore, we recommend purchasing both the hardware and corresponding software in the same market/territory.”

Clearly, Sony doesn’t want potential PSP owners importing willy-nilly, and they are cautioning people against doing so. But equally clearly, many people aren’t going to be remotely deterred by those slightly vacuous words of warning. Sony has brought up issues of possible regional differences between multiplayer features, and of course, the fairly obvious points that Japanese games are mostly written in Japanese (or even spoken, with regards to certain virtual pet games). But, at the end of the day, the PSP is being released in Japan soon: and that is enough of a reason for many to investigate the possibilites.

So there are potential problems, and there is still no official word on the possibility of universal UMD movies, or rather the issue of regional coding is still “undecided”; but it seems that Sony has followed Nintendo’s suit, and the most determined gamers will be able to select what they want from where they want.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle in acquiring an early import is the simple fact that the initial shipment is for only 200,000 units. Take into account the size of the Japanese gaming public, and the enthusiastic fanboys from everywhere else on the globe, and there probably won’t be enough to go round without paying some sort of ludicrous premium. Not that we're saying we're not tempted.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Battery life per $ony of 4-5 hours.

Real battery life 45mins.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Ono said:
Battery life per $ony of 4-5 hours.

Real battery life 45mins.

If that was the case, Sony would be be up for false advertising. I don't think that its battery life will be that shit.

Courtesy of Spong
Sony has also addressed the crucial battery-life issue, which Nintendo was keen to suggest petered out after a couple of hours. Fortunately, that is not quite the case: according to the official press release the PSP has an “integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing.”

Yaka

Part of the furniture
read on eurgamer that usa is gonna get it first, if true think i shall try an get one from eb.com

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
If that was the case, Sony would be be up for false advertising. I don't think that its battery life will be that shit.

Heh, im gonna sur every company the sells me an item that uses batteries then. 'Optimal condition' life for batteries is what it means. That means youve got to be in a perfectly regulated environment, never turn it on and off more than once, turn the sound off, turn all effects down low, dont use the wireless gaming features, in other words i say 2-3 hrs MAXIMUM for normal every day use. This is the only thing that would hold me back from buying this thing if i wasnt going to go out and buy it regardless. Its not very good really.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
This is the same Sony that suggested 750 million polygons per second on the PS2 (wildly exaggerated as it turned out). Don't expect more than a couple of hours battery life or you're in for a disapointment.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I think I'll wait till the DS methinks, I know officially its not a competitor of the PSP or GB but it looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom