PSP hits UK shores

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The PlayStationPortable is finally here! For £179 you can get your hands on a portable gamesplaying, DVD playing, and netbrowsing piece of kit.

I've resisted the urge to buy it so far. After using it for a few weeks I'm worried I would put it down and watch it collect dust as the novelty factor wears off...

What do you think of the PSP? Did you import one and are you still using it? Is it worth buying or worth saving £179 for the xbox360?

itcheh

Part of the furniture
As soon as I sort out a replacement card from the bank I will be surely purchasing one ... if for no other reason than to pass the time on my daily 5 hour commute!

Or I could save the money and read a book. I haven't decided.

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
xbox360 > psp. anyone with half a brain will know this! :twak:

itcheh

Part of the furniture
Erm ... except Xbox360 isn't portable is it? Which means you can't really directly copare the two. I do hope you're not confusing the PSP with the PS3?

Aada

Part of the furniture
I've got a psp its portable but would you really want to take £179 worth of kit out in the street?

How many people got mugged for IPODS last year? i heard it was close to 1000s in the uk alone.

Now imagine the average smack head out in town and seeing some goofy kid hey you can even be an adult and they still wouldn't think twice about beating you to the ground and taking your nice shiny new PSP away from you.

That is my only gripe about the psp its too expensive to take the risk of taking it out down town basicly anywhere in public.

It won't take too long before the papers are flooded with people who have been beat to hell for a PSP.

Unfortunatly this is what the world is coming too.... certain people see something they can't afford they will think about taking it off someone, that guy on the dole who can't afford what his kids want for christmas he'll get it one way or another.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Can I be a stick up your arse and say that it doesn't play DVDs :)

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
I agree it is a very valuable item to be flashing around in a public place.

But then again, the day you decide not to buy something incase it gets stolen is the day crime has beaten you.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The PSP does play films...may not be "DVD"'s as such but dvd qlty films nontheless

CrystalFist

Fledgling Freddie
The FFVII prequel comming out on PsP is a reason to buy it for me.
Maby maby not. Might pick one up in China when im over there :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
I didn't say that it doesn't play films. Stop being a stick.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Magicthise said:
Is it VCD compatible? :)

UMD is the format, 1.8gigs iirc, you can 'play' vcds but there is no way to play movies on it unless its on UMD which is very much Sony's own format and wont be releasing drives to burn them for the next say 2 years if ever.

You can however plonk movies onto the memory stick pending on the size of film and stick.

I wont be getting one at release, I have a habit of buying them and using them loads in first month and then never again, the PSP interest me hugely mainly because of the emulation side of things but ill be waiting till I see them second hand.

Mey

Part of the furniture
i've got one, and so has my brother, they are ace, the wireless network is really fun (i play from my room while my brothers in his room).. not tried anything else yet, as im too hooked on beating the crap outa stuff on DW.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I could not resist when my gf dragged me into Dixons. She got one and I pulled out the battered credit card to claim one to...

Wireless networking will be on the cards :)

Was amazed at the number of films for the PSP, but coming in at £15 a pop, would you really pay that when you could get a full size dvd for the same price? I guess if I was going on holiday or communiting I might be tempted to rent a few.

Aada

Part of the furniture
SAS said:
I could not resist when my gf dragged me into Dixons. She got one and I pulled out the battered credit card to claim one to...

Wireless networking will be on the cards :)

Was amazed at the number of films for the PSP, but coming in at £15 a pop, would you really pay that when you could get a full size dvd for the same price? I guess if I was going on holiday or communiting I might be tempted to rent a few.

£15? i saw AvP at £20 in HMV the words ''day light robbery'' sum it up for me.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
At £15 to £20 a film Sony are just begging the public to pirate the films

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Ive had mine since April, imported from HK. I have used mine practically everyday. I put episodes of whatever onto my memory card and watch them over lunch. It was invaluable when I went on hols to france.

Spear

Fledgling Freddie
Sonly UMD - How can this justify using the word Universal when its a sony only format. So you guys gonna buy all your DVDs again on UMD?

No HDD - so not great for moving data around or watching my own movies.

Sony Memory stick - great I can buy a 'sony only' memory stick instead of a cheaper generic sdram.

No applications - No word processor, satnav.

No thanks Ill just wait for a device with a HDD in.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
you can convert your DVD's on your computer using software called "Movies on psp" (or summit like that), infact i think theres a few programs out now that do this have a look on Play.com, they got a couple on there. PSP generally does most video formats that i know of as well. :cheers:

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Spear said:
Sonly UMD - How can this justify using the word Universal when its a sony only format. So you guys gonna buy all your DVDs again on UMD?

No HDD - so not great for moving data around or watching my own movies.

Sony Memory stick - great I can buy a 'sony only' memory stick instead of a cheaper generic sdram.

No applications - No word processor, satnav.

No thanks Ill just wait for a device with a HDD in.

If it's functionality such as sat nav you're after in a console, you might like to look at the gizmondo, it does a good deal of the mojo that the psp does plus some. It's supposed to be released in the UK already, and the rest of Europe atr the end of this month (according to the wikipedia article), but I haven't seen anywhere who sell or have it on preorder.

For a few of your points about the psp, i'd say the 'universal' in the UMD refers the the media types that can be placed on it, just as DVD was digital video disc until it was used for more multimedia storage changing the meaning to versatile (though I think there's no official acronym for it) rather than being the availability of manufacture. The movies though, yes, cost far too much considering what they are imo.

The memory stick, well yes, there's some restriction to it, but it is Sony's device and they can use whatever specifications they like, and it's probably best they use an in house design, they can't have multiple card readers in it unfortunately ;). I think you'd be best in purchasing a PDA rather than a console with some of the functionality that you want/expect out of it.

For what it's worth, I believe the thing's a damn good device, does pretty much what I want (Games, video, music), the only caveat (which some people might agree) is the apparent requirement of a larger memory stick and the cost associated with said stick.

Aada

Part of the furniture
FuzzyLogic said:
If it's functionality such as sat nav you're after in a console, you might like to look at the gizmondo, it does a good deal of the mojo that the psp does plus some. It's supposed to be released in the UK already, and the rest of Europe atr the end of this month (according to the wikipedia article), but I haven't seen anywhere who sell or have it on preorder.

For a few of your points about the psp, i'd say the 'universal' in the UMD refers the the media types that can be placed on it, just as DVD was digital video disc until it was used for more multimedia storage changing the meaning to versatile (though I think there's no official acronym for it) rather than being the availability of manufacture. The movies though, yes, cost far too much considering what they are imo.

The memory stick, well yes, there's some restriction to it, but it is Sony's device and they can use whatever specifications they like, and it's probably best they use an in house design, they can't have multiple card readers in it unfortunately ;). I think you'd be best in purchasing a PDA rather than a console with some of the functionality that you want/expect out of it.

For what it's worth, I believe the thing's a damn good device, does pretty much what I want (Games, video, music), the only caveat (which some people might agree) is the apparent requirement of a larger memory stick and the cost associated with said stick.

Still doesn't come close to an Ipod though for music...

1. Ipod is lighter and not some big ass thing that sticks half a mile out of your pocket.

2. everyone will agree that putting videos on the psp is time consuming and it can take a while.

Really so far i have put 3 movies on my psp and the time/messing about it took outweighed the good.

Is a great game system though which is why i bought it i guess.

FuzzyLogic

Oh definately, but my mp3 player broke just before this arrived, so it's quite a boon to have it, plus I have deep pockets which disguise it quite well ;)

The video I tend to watch while i'm in bed so that has its use for me too (don't sleep in the same room as me pc or main tv).

Aada

Part of the furniture
Guess it has its uses for people who don't own an MP3 player yet.

I took it on the bus down town omw to meet the gf for lunch.. man its not heavy but you sure notice it is there.

BTW playing games on it is USELESS out in the open you can't see the screen unless your in a good amount of shade.. the light just blinds it.

FuzzyLogic

Who'd have thought the PSP ships with an inverted gameboy screen ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm waiting for someone to produce a nice add on unit, that would allow me to record video just like an Archos.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
I'm waiting for someone to produce a nice add on unit, that would allow me to record video just like an Archos.

Doubt it will be long..

Aada

Part of the furniture
Check this gizmo out.. some brain is developing a device which fits onto the psp so you can play games on your tv... also the device has a port for ps2 controller...

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Aada said:
Check this gizmo out.. some brain is developing a device which fits onto the psp so you can play games on your tv... also the device has a port for ps2 controller...

Next time a link might be helpful :)

But doing the PSP to TV conversion will be fun given the resolution differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom