PS3 vs Xbox visual, mission for papacho

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I been digging around and cant seem to find a descent comparison
Any chance you have a comparison of the 360 vs Ps3 with RGB to full instead of limited like gametrailers have
YouTube - Assassins Creed PS3 vs Xbox360 TRUE Comparison

Wish I did bud, sadly someone somewhere is missing a trick as this is a question alot of people want answering, especially at standard definitions.

From personal experience of playing PS3 over RGB Scart I can tell you that it looks quite muddy and alot of the texture filtering doesn't work well at standard definitions. You get alot of shimmering in games like Resistance and Drakes as well as Ratchett which kind of indicates that Sony are not really optimising image quality for SD sets because they have a vested interest in selling new HDTV's to punters. The 360 SD quality however is perfectly acceptable in pretty much every game I have tried, my 13 year old nephew plays all his 360 games on a 100hz 28inch SONY CRT over RGB Scart and the picture quality isn't bad at all considering the limits of the resolution.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Can you make a game that plays well on both SD and HD will it not have to upscale or compress the image? Or is it just the PS3 hardware/software is not very good at compressing the images? I did not see a problem on my cousins machine but he mainly played ps2 games on his ps3 so that might be the reason?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
i got a ps3 the other day, the textures etc like chodax said are very 'muddy' .. was quite dissapointed. are there any good games (released only on that platform) for ps3?! im thinking of selling it already its actually crap- maybe it'll be good next year but what the hell was everyone going on about, my 360 is soo much better its ridiculous

wts ps3 :x

soze

I am a FH squatter
i got a ps3 the other day, the textures etc like chodax said are very 'muddy' .. was quite dissapointed. are there any good games (released only on that platform) for ps3?! im thinking of selling it already its actually crap- maybe it'll be good next year but what the hell was everyone going on about, my 360 is soo much better its ridiculous

wts ps3 :x

You talking about a non HD TV??

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Can you make a game that plays well on both SD and HD will it not have to upscale or compress the image? Or is it just the PS3 hardware/software is not very good at compressing the images? I did not see a problem on my cousins machine but he mainly played ps2 games on his ps3 so that might be the reason?

It is all about the texture filtering bud, the PS3 doesn't do such a good job at lower resolutions. It is something that could be fixed if Sony felt compelled.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
you would think someone would have latched on considering how many game reviewing site there are out there :/ I mean its free use of column space

cheers anyway for trying m8

p.s. i strongly recommend buying a game called Overlord, thoroughly addictive game

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
About the PS3 being muddy at standard def.

"If you don't have the screen, don't own the machine." ;)

Having a PS3, and playing it on a TV that doesn't support 720p or 1080p. Is like having Mclaren SLR but only driving it on roads with 20 m/h speed limits.

Want standard def? Go play your PS2/Xbox/Gamecube :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
p.s. i strongly recommend buying a game called Overlord, thoroughly addictive game

You know, Overlord has to be one of the most overlooked games on any platform. It is a ton of fun for all ages and one of Uncle Delkets top 10 games of 2007! :D ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
About the PS3 being muddy at standard def.

"If you don't have the screen, don't own the machine." ;)

Having a PS3, and playing it on a TV that doesn't support 720p or 1080p. Is like having Mclaren SLR but only driving it on roads with 20 m/h speed limits.

Want standard def? Go play your PS2/Xbox/Gamecube :p

Yeah all those students out there should either submit themselves for medical research to raise the cash for a HDTV or sell a kidney, either way get with the program you bunch'o'scroungers! ;)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Yeah all those students out there should either submit themselves for medical research to raise the cash for a HDTV or sell a kidney, either way get with the program you bunch'o'scroungers! ;)

lol!

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie

Well, if you don't own a HDTV, it is just silly to buy a HD system like the PS3.
I managed to afford a HDTV. I didn't have to subject myself to medical experiments, and i still have both my kidneys.
It is like everything else in life, to get great quality, you have to pay more than you do for lesser quality.
You can buy a random camera and take good pictures, but if you want fantastic pictures, you have to get an expensive camera. You can buy a bamboo car, that will get you from A to B, or you can buy an ubar car that gets you from A to B faster, and in style. etc etc

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I didn't have to subject myself to medical experiments, and i still have both my kidneys.
It is like everything else in life, to get great quality, you have to pay more than you do for lesser quality.
You can buy a random camera and take good pictures, but if you want fantastic pictures, you have to get an expensive camera. You can buy a bamboo car, that will get you from A to B, or you can buy an ubar car that gets you from A to B faster, and in style. etc etc

Yes yes but please fill in the blanks. We all know you raised the money by selling 2 gallons of spunk to the local sperm bank. Those blisters on your right hand will take months to heal! ;) :p :D

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Yes yes but please fill in the blanks. We all know you raised the money by selling 2 gallons of spunk to the local sperm bank. Those blisters on your right hand will take months to heal! ;) :p :D

We don't have a local spermbank :( if we did, i'd be rich!

Just stick me in a warm room, with a comfy chair and a puter with interwebz connection. And i'd be a veritable cow. Every day at like 5 or so, they could come in, feed me and collect the days specimen.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
You can buy a random camera and take good pictures, but if you want fantastic pictures, you have to get an expensive camera.

That particular statement is absolute rubish.

Expensive lenses on the other hand i would have to agree with :)

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
That particular statement is absolute rubish.

Expensive lenses on the other hand i would have to agree with :)

I don't care. better pictures = more money. That was the point. I don't care what particular part of the thing costs alot.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Anyone who asks what to buy i recommend more 360 than PS3 but more ps2 than anything else. If you have HD 360/PS3 if you don't PS2 by a mile best game catalogue and still getting exclusive games. For the money without HD PS2 by a mile :)

And a 26" 720p tv is now £350 for a Sony in the sales not really mind blowing money anymore. If you do not go for the higest spec one HD TVs are not outrageous anymore.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We don't have a local spermbank :( if we did, i'd be rich!

Just stick me in a warm room, with a comfy chair and a puter with interwebz connection. And i'd be a veritable cow. Every day at like 5 or so, they could come in, feed me and collect the days specimen.

Me too, we could set up our own company tbh, Bunch'o'Wankers International! :D

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Me too, we could set up our own company tbh, Bunch'o'Wankers International! :D

Dude, if you ever manage to setup a thing like that... Count me in. Apart from being abit on the short'ish side, i'm prize cattle :p

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
And a 26" 720p tv is now £350 for a Sony in the sales not really mind blowing money anymore. If you do not go for the higest spec one HD TVs are not outrageous anymore.

Wow, that's a really shit price, no offense.

I was impatient and grabbed my HDTV before the sales in Jan but £400 for a 32" 1080i TV which has awesome sound, you can't really complain!

HDTVs atm are absolutely crashing in price and not a lot is needed to shell out for a decent one, i just got a 32" because I wanted a big TV, most people will be happy with a cheaper smaller one, 1080i ones are falling to as low as £200 for a decent 26"!

Also Cho, when it pops out a little flag that says "Bang!" you're doing it too much.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Wow, that's a really shit price, no offense.

I was impatient and grabbed my HDTV before the sales in Jan but £400 for a 32" 1080i TV which has awesome sound, you can't really complain!

HDTVs atm are absolutely crashing in price and not a lot is needed to shell out for a decent one, i just got a 32" because I wanted a big TV, most people will be happy with a cheaper smaller one, 1080i ones are falling to as low as £200 for a decent 26"!

Also Cho, when it pops out a little flag that says "Bang!" you're doing it too much.

I did say a Sony they are not famed for cheap TVs. I think most tv's with 720p do 1080i but 720p will be your better picture (I think lol) But yeah they are dropping in price enough now that they do not need a 5 year savings plan to justify one

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Anything up to 40" you would be better off with a 720p tv as you wont even notice the difference between 720p and 1080 at that size, anything above you would probably be better off with a 1080p set

I personally spent a fair bit on my setup, about £600 for the tv and then another £200 for the sound system (onkyo 505se a/v amp, yamaha speakers) and havent looked back since

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am looking for a amp that has multipel HDMI and Optical In and one or two HDMI out so i can use that one box and switch between my 40" TV and the projector i plan to buy. i have 6ft by 13ft wall painted a very lite grey ready :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
How much you willing to spend?
hmm 2 hdmi out isnt as common as you would think

soze

I am a FH squatter
How much you willing to spend?
hmm 2 hdmi out isnt as common as you would think

£500-£600 with speakers if its good enough. Dose not have to have 2 HDMI out as i can but a switch box or just swap the lead as and when if needed.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
got my 32" HDTV a year ago, sometime mid year at woolies, was like £399.. havnt had a single problem with it, amazing sound and picture quality

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I suggest you have a look here, they are very good for advice:
AVForums Home
As i am no expert by any means

But the Onkyo 605 is probably best £ for £ atm, i have a older Onkyo 505SE as that was the one to buy at the time but they look pretty similar
img1014eo8.jpg

Make shift home as the desk is packed away while we redecorate

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
But the Onkyo 605 is probably best £ for £ atm, i have a older Onkyo 505SE as that was the one to buy at the time but they look pretty similar
img1014eo8.jpg

Make shift home as the desk is packed away while we redecorate

Redecorate... ahh i see. Old 360 burst into flames and cause abit of firedamage, eh? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom