PS3 to get BD-Live (profile 2.0)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
in a future upgrade says Sony at CES.

YAY!! Way to go Sony. The PS3 just keeps getting better and better (for free too :p)

Not sure when the firmware will be out. Now DTS-HD-MA would be the icing on the cake....

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Basically it enables PiP and web enabled content to be used on blu-rays.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Basically it enables PiP and web enabled content to be used on blu-rays.

Actually PiP is a requirement of Profile 1.1 not Profile 2.0

It also states that 1gb of persistent memory is available (read HD storage) and a couple of other things like secondary audio and video decoding.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
While dishing out the PS3 love people may want to check out the Japanese store its got 2 Yakuza 3 demos on it :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
My concern which i have always had about the PS3 is it's relying on FF/MGS/GT for sales only ;/

Sure MS had Halo but look at all the other exclusives that the 360 has had to make it the must own console atm.

Like everyone else has pretty much stated as of right now the PS3 is a cheap bluray player not a games console.

Also alot of PS3 owners are raving about how this is the PS3 year to shine what with? MGS/FF/GT? the same franchises that have been with the PS1/PS2 for nearly a decade? Before anyone mentions Killzone stop right now it was never a good game and it never will be.

Sony needs to start coming up with a few new game ideas other then milking the cash cows.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My concern which i have always had about the PS3 is it's relying on FF/MGS/GT for sales only ;/

Sure MS had Halo but look at all the other exclusives that the 360 has had to make it the must own console atm.

Like everyone else has pretty much stated as of right now the PS3 is a cheap bluray player not a games console.

Also alot of PS3 owners are raving about how this is the PS3 year to shine what with? MGS/FF/GT? the same franchises that have been with the PS1/PS2 for nearly a decade? Before anyone mentions Killzone stop right now it was never a good game and it never will be.

Sony needs to start coming up with a few new game ideas other then milking the cash cows.

How many copies did Halo 3 sell and that was shite people are looking forward to the next gen versions of old games. New games might be great but nothing will touch my ps3 betweem mgs realse and completion.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Killzone was good, mainly cos it didn't turn into an exercise in "Oooooh have I seen this level before? Oh yes I have 479807023740 FUCKING TIMES" like a certain other FPS I could mention. In fact I'm having more fun now playing TimeSplitters : Future Perfect than I ever did in the one level snoozefest known as Hello, sorry Halo. Thing is I've been playing these games since Wolf3d, so I know what makes a good FPS. Halo doesn't. I'd put it on a par with Red Faction and Medal of Honour to be honest with you - i.e play 4 levels, get bored and have a wank, then forget I was playing it and put something decent back in.

I don't know where to start on your franchise comment. I'll start by ignoring your constant jizzing over Call of Duty 4, cos that isn't a franchise, oh no. I'll also ignore the other franchises availible on 360. Like PGR, Halo, Pro Evo, Fifa, Tiger Woods, etc etc, and the fact that ignoring franchises, the 360 has Gears of War and Bioshock, both of which I'm sure will turn into franchises. So what about Nintendo's 20 years of peddling us Super Mario games? Best ignore that too. Probably the same story with Sega and Sonic. And all te other Sega/Ninty ones I've omitted. No, I shall just email Seabass and tell him to come up with an original game idea rather than milking Pro Evo.

Seriously dude, do you even read your posts before you click the submit button? Cos you come up with some right arse buscuits sometimes. Playstation is a format like any other, it has its big franchises which people look forward to, while they're waiting original stuff comes along to play in the meantime. Just like 360 owners got GoW when they were waiting for Halo 3, I'm sure PS3 owners will be delighted when LittleBigPlanet drops a couple of months before MGS4 (not sure on the exact release dates but you get the idea). I also know about 7 people with PS3's and not one is using it as a cheap Blu-Ray player. They're all using it as a games console funnily enough. I'll them you said they were using it wrong though. I'm sure they'll care quite a lot.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
the 360 has Gears of War and Bioshock, both of which I'm sure will turn into franchises

It has a few more good exclusive (360/PC) games that arent (yet) franchises, like Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Viva Pinata, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Crackdown and coming in 2008, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Age of Conan, World in Conflict. All (probably) worth playing and all without a legacy to stand on and boost sales.

Note that im not an xbox fanboy, i will get a PS3 at some points im sure. Just felt that the box has alil more in terms of non-franchised games to offer than what you stated :)

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
Who cares? :S

They both have good sets of games on the way and people in the know have put them pretty much on a par in terms of performance - they each have their ups and downs.

I do like my 360, but I'd own both if I could but as a student I can't justify spending that money, taking the hit to my work or social life.. just yet ;] Maybe when there's some more decent exclusives out for the PS3 and my finals are over.

I don't think Blu-Ray can be considered a "win" for PS3 owners in gaming terms just yet - maybe later down the line when games will, apparently, become too big for DVDs.. but I'm not sure that'll happen for a while. It's good for the movie side, mind.

Either way, lets not beat around the bush, Halo 3 is a big pile of tosh. Multiplayer is quite fun at times with mates but for me and my mates it quickly becomes boring because there's just nothing special.

Putting it on a par with Red Faction is a good comparison.

Personally, other than helping sales for fanboys to wave at PS3 owners, I think Halo 3 has just hindered the progress of the 360 - its just more of the same rehashed and has encouraged devs that they don't need to be innovative or work that hard, just bring out more of the same.

Pro Evo 08 is the same - though luckily even Konami have admitted they need to go back to the drawing board. Its still good ProEvo fun, but its the same as 07 with different GFX, goalie fumbling and bad replay framerate and online lag.

Offtopic blah rant blah.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Halo 3 was so disappointing I can't believe how hyped I was for it now, glad I didn't buy the bloody Legendary edition, I played through it twice, played some multiplayer realised all the american kiddies where still dicks and haven't touched it since, but still over 8million in sales :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Got to admit, I still don't really think of my PS3 as a games console. Its a fabulous media player, but I don't like the controller and I've still yet to see a killer game. GT5 might be the one...

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would like to know if Microsoft had anything to do with what seems to be a early Halo release. I wondered if they wanted it released as soon as possible to highlight the delays to MGS ect on the PS3??

Halo 3 was so disappointing I can't believe how hyped I was for it now, glad I didn't buy the bloody Legendary edition, I played through it twice, played some multiplayer realised all the american kiddies where still dicks and haven't touched it since, but still over 8million in sales :)

The power of a franchise even after people started saying its shit people kept buying because Halo is awesome :) That game sold 8 million copies on reputation

Aada

Part of the furniture
The game sold 8 million because its easily one of the best console shooters you can buy and everyone wanted to get closure to the Halo series.

I know some strange people like Killzone better though even though its just a graphical showcase.

I liked Halo 1 out of the other 2 better because it was new and fresh the other 2 were great too though.

I just get sick of the usual 3 games for the PS3 MGS/GT/FF.

Final Fantasy just takes the piss though for milking all you can get from a cash cow after Final Fantasy 7 the others just don't do it for me anymore wish square Enix would think of something different.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It has a few more good exclusive (360/PC) games that arent (yet) franchises, like Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Viva Pinata, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Crackdown and coming in 2008, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Age of Conan, World in Conflict. All (probably) worth playing and all without a legacy to stand on and boost sales.

Note that im not an xbox fanboy, i will get a PS3 at some points im sure. Just felt that the box has alil more in terms of non-franchised games to offer than what you stated :)

The thing about those games you mentioned is they all look like unmitigated toss. I mentioned the games I did cos they're the ones that appeal, most other 360 games just appear to be rehashed old PC games.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The thing about those games you mentioned is they all look like unmitigated toss. I mentioned the games I did cos they're the ones that appeal, most other 360 games just appear to be rehashed old PC games.

Take some of your own fucking advice for once think before you type.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The game sold 8 million because its easily one of the best console shooters you can buy and everyone wanted to get closure to the Halo series.

<snip> rest of message </snip>

Pardon me? Halo3 IS NOT the best console shooter by a long way. What apart from shit graphics does it have over any of the other halo games? Nothing.

Look at GoW, COD4 or RFoM as potentials but certainly not Halo3.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You got Aada wrong he was saying Halo as a series is one of the best FPS games, right before attacking the PS3 for releasing games in a series it mates perfect sence really :eek7:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh god, Aada let it lie already. You all know how highly we value your recycled argument.

Halo 1 was not fresh by any means. Anyone with a gaming history of playing FPS games should have thought it unimaginative, and not graphically superb.

I too though simply use my ps3 for media, none of the games released so far appeal at all, and assassins creed turned out to be a pile of shit. I do like being able to play my old ps2's games upscaled though. It is the only gaming use my ps3 sees.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Square are the only JRPG makers trying to mix up the formula a bit. But according to Aada, they need to "think of something different". Yeah, right.

And MGS?? Kojima has innovated in a huge way for every single Metal Gear Solid game. I don't know how you could say any of the series aren't fresh, unless you're a complete idiot.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I must point out, Halo has some of the gayest aliens I've ever witnessed.

Not cool.

Am looking forward to Turok and DMC4 soon though.. hopefully they'll turn the disappointments around.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Pardon me? Halo3 IS NOT the best console shooter by a long way. What apart from shit graphics does it have over any of the other halo games? Nothing.

Look at GoW, COD4 or RFoM as potentials but certainly not Halo3.

I said ONE of the best.

RFoM is SHITE i'm just happy i managed to get it for £17 off Shopto.net it's just a horrible put together game story is nadda it's just an average run of the mill shooter.

Maybe i've just been spoilt with the 360 and games like GOW/Ghost Recon/COD4 put Resistance Fall of Man is by no means up there with the best.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I said ONE of the best.

And you're still wrong. Hugely overrated series imho.

RFoM is SHITE i'm just happy i managed to get it for £17 off Shopto.net it's just a horrible put together game story is nadda it's just an average run of the mill shooter.

Maybe i've just been spoilt with the 360 and games like GOW/Ghost Recon/COD4 put Resistance Fall of Man is by no means up there with the best.

On the other hand, I agree with this; RFoM is rubbish. But then again, no console shooter would get into the top 20 PC FPS list so its hardly surprising. And I include games like CoD4 in that; its much better on PC than any console.

Aada

Part of the furniture
And you're still wrong. Hugely overrated series imho.

On the other hand, I agree with this; RFoM is rubbish. But then again, no console shooter would get into the top 20 PC FPS list so its hardly surprising. And I include games like CoD4 in that; its much better on PC than any console.

Because of Mouse/KB?

i hear its 32 players also but tbh unless it has different maps from console version i can see the maps being very overcrowded to be fair 18 player matches can be very annoying as everyone is clustered together.

Mouse/KB is better for sniping but for a run and gunner the pad wins for me.

I got RFoM the other day put it in and i really wondered what all the fuss was about the game overall is just average at best i like a story in my game even if its a cheesey b movie thing its still something.

On another note Haze for the PS3 looks stunning just hope its as good as it looks.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Eye of Judgment and Uncharted have won me over on my PS3. I've yet to even complete Halo 3 ;) Don't get me wrong, I love my 360 and am currently hooked on completing Mass Effect.

Also, did someone actually say that people were waiting for Halo 3 because they wanted closure to the storyline. Bullshit! I guarantee, you ask 10 people what the Halo 3 story is and you'll get 10 different answers. Shit, I can't even remember what it's about. Something to do with the Covenant trying to get their hands on Universe destroying Halo Rings? ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Eye of Judgment and Uncharted have won me over on my PS3. I've yet to even complete Halo 3 ;) Don't get me wrong, I love my 360 and am currently hooked on completing Mass Effect.

Also, did someone actually say that people were waiting for Halo 3 because they wanted closure to the storyline. Bullshit! I guarantee, you ask 10 people what the Halo 3 story is and you'll get 10 different answers. Shit, I can't even remember what it's about. Something to do with the Covenant trying to get their hands on Universe destroying Halo Rings? ;)

Uncharted pwnd it was fresh and new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom