Help PS3 on old TV

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Got a PS3 for the kids for Christmas, hooked it up to the 42" plasma via HDMI and it was very smart.

Moved the PS3 into the "games room" today, hooked it up to the previous century Sony Trinitron 32" widescreen (CRT) TV via SCART, reset the PS3 now and the picture is really crap, playing a quiz game the text is almost unreadable.

Any advice other than "get a new TV" on improving picture quality would be greatly appreciated.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Have you updated the ps3 firmware and have a play with the display options?

edit:// is a component connection an option on that tv?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I can't offer any advice other than my mate's 360 looked complete turd on his old CRT widescreen TV - text was unreadable.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
think the problem is the games are usually designed to run at 720p, and do not scale down well.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Yep, i'd say so. The PS3 and 360 aren't really for 'old' TVs, it would be similar to plugging in a TV into your PC through the composite out.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Developers these days are utterly fucking useless at testing their games at different resolutions/TV sizes. I've been playing Dragon Age Origins on PC at 1920x1080, on a 40" TV no less, and the text is still way too fucking small.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Component (YUV) to RGB/VGA Converter: J.S. Technology

this was big issue when 360 was released, nither sony or ms give a damn about it and for devs its one less thing to waste resources on, but these kinda devices fix the issues, yes its expensive @ 90 but js make quality devices you can prolly get cheaper alternatives of ebay doing the same thing.

id seriously look into using your monitor instead tho would be cheaper as well

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't know what kind of budget you have xane, but for a 100 notes more than that device you can get a very decent LCD 22" 1080p screen.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I had mine set up on my old 32" Panasonic CRT until it gave up the ghost last week, and yes it was awful. I couldn't read onscreen instructions in game play, but i put that down to the tube on its way out

Its now hooked up to my 40" 1080p Sammy and the change is amazing, i cant believe i put up with it b4 tbh

There is a setting if its not being run through a HD TV and if you set it up on the HD first then it might need resetting for a CRT

xane

Fledgling Freddie
There is a setting if its not being run through a HD TV and if you set it up on the HD first then it might need resetting for a CRT

I reset all the TV settings.

Thanks for replies mateys, but it looks like I'll get searching for a cheapo LCD in the new year sales.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
32" can easily be had for between £250 and £300 fella. Mystic has a thread open about it on the tech forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom