PS3 due 23rd march @ £425

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Sony have announced that the PS3 will go on sale in the uk and Europe on 23rd march priced at £425. around 30 titles should be available at lunch and the uk is due to get 300,00 units more info can be found @ three speech guess that mean we should be able to reorder em now

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Ah the good old electronics exchange rates are alive and well.

$600 US, £300 + a few pennies at current exchange rates: lets call it £425
$600, €460 at current rates, naaaa lets ignore that and go with 1:1 - €600

The €50 difference between UK and European prices is the best of the lot though, wonder how that one is justified.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes, we've been screwed for years. I got my 6gb ipod mini in Hong Kong for 100eur less than the 4gb model in holland. it's the way of things. still, a 150eur hike just because you happen to live in another country is a bit steep and a 50eur hike for not being on the island is a bit wierd.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
I don't get why England and Europe should subsidise companies who price things like that, it's not a very nice way to treat consumers.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
The EU prices include VAT whereas the US prices don't for their sales tax, that gets added on at the till iirc.

That's at least one of the reasons why the US prices show up as less than for the EU anyhow methinks

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Most people will try and get the PS3 on the release date, smart people will wait till a few high-end games (FF/GT/MGS) come out before they buy the console. What I'm actually going to do.

FF13 comes out, buy the PS3 that by then has some sort of deal (2 controllers etc) for less than the original price... So, December+ :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
$600 US, £300 + a few pennies at current exchange rates: lets call it £425

I trundled off to xe.com just to prove this statement wrong. The pound isn't worth 2 bucks I was going to say - that's silly talk!

Sure enough, $1.97 bucks to the quid. When did that happen?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
I trundled off to xe.com just to prove this statement wrong. The pound isn't worth 2 bucks I was going to say - that's silly talk!

The dollar has been falling steadily last couple years thanks to a lack of confidence in the Bush administration etc.

Anyway, Sony can take their BluRay and show it where the sun dont shine. Meanwhile ill enjoy my Xbox360 that has the same gaming power as the PS3, will share most of its titles, and only cost me half of what the PS3 would.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
nath said:

Some time today or yesterday -i remember reading it in some newspaper.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Milkshake said:
I won't be buying one just because of that. Rock on the Wii!
The Wii had the same 40% price increase for the privilidge of buying on in England though

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You sell things at the price that people are prepared to pay for them. If Sony thought that £1000 was a price that lots of people would pay, then that's what they'd sell them for.

What really stinks though is the restrictions they try and place upon suppliers to stop import/export from other countries. Thats downright ludicrous.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
You sell things at the price that people are prepared to pay for them. If Sony thought that £1000 was a price that lots of people would pay, then that's what they'd sell them for.

What really stinks though is the restrictions they try and place upon suppliers to stop import/export from other countries. Thats downright ludicrous.

Mm, my housemate's had a PS3 for some months (friend in Tokyo sent it to him - for free as well) and he hasn't yet managed to sell it on in the UK (he's not a big console man) with restrictions imposed on eBay and other such services. All a bit silly.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

It´s not just that the dollar is weak, it´s that the pound is particularly strong at the moment; I´ve had great exchange rates everywhere I´ve been over the last few months, and if anything its getting better. Of course Sony will use the excuse that the UK price was fixed months ago when the dollar was about 1.70 to the pound, they always do.

On the subject of PS3 pricing though; if you think you´re being ripped off in the UK, you should see Brazil; here PS3 pre-orders are going for around 3000 reals, which is about 750 quid! And this in a country where the average wage per month is about half that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Buuuh, a lot less than total backwards compatibility on the euro ps3 although I'm sure they won't mind an extra excuse to release regular firmware updates to stay ahead of (or keep up with, depending which way you look at it) those pesky haxxors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom