PS3 Delayed!

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
As the title says really it's now delayed until March 2007 for Europe, not that I was going to buy one at launch anyway but Sony sure do love us europeans don't they :)

Link

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bang goes my pre-xmass pre-order ebay profit.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Similar, darn!

Well anyway, I was planning on getting a 360 for chromehounds, and for mass effect in the new year, guess I get one soon, after I recover from this weekends laser eye surgery.

Looks like sony have basically conceded europe to microsoft, as the xmas market is huge for consoles. We always were last on their list of priorities, at least we're a bit higher on ms's.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
inactionman said:
Well anyway, I was planning on getting a 360 for chromehounds, and for mass effect in the new year, guess I get one soon, after I recover from this weekends laser eye surgery.

Ooh, having laser surgery myself this afternoon. Good luck with yours :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
didnt this happen with the ps2 also?
guess we can expect yank ps2s to for even higher sums now. sony need thier heads examined tbh 360 has done better than most peeps expected in usa and europe and its got better sales of games than the Dc had when ps2 was released

Aada

Part of the furniture
Stimpy said:
As the title says really it's now delayed until March 2007 for Europe, not that I was going to buy one at launch anyway but Sony sure do love us europeans don't they :)

Link

I bet Microsoft are loving this.

And bang goes my ebay profit too i estimated around £3000 profit ;/ ah well more hype i guess.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Looks like Sony haven't got as many PS3's as they said they would, they won't have to suffer the embrassment of not having systems on shelves, but they prolly will upset a lot of ppl here in Europe.

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
Rather dissapointed :p. They should bundle the PS3 with PES6 in March now to get me buying it. Now, how do I cancel that preorder at amazon..

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I read that M$ had signed an exclusive deal for pes6 and fifa07 so they wouldnt appear on the ps3 for at least 12 months

Aada

Part of the furniture
Serdan said:
Rather dissapointed :p. They should bundle the PS3 with PES6 in March now to get me buying it. Now, how do I cancel that preorder at amazon..

Sorry buddy PES6/FIFA are 360 exclusives for 12months on release

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
Ooh, having laser surgery myself this afternoon. Good luck with yours :)

Good luck to you as well. Getting epi-lasek, so not being able to use a computer for a week or so will be annoying!

Back on topic, I wonder what's holding Bodhi up? Normally he'd had posted something by now! ;)

Apparently PES6 is a *this year* exclusive to the 360, nothing to stop them releasing it for the ps3 in january though, just not in europe obviously!

Aada

Part of the furniture
inactionman said:
Good luck to you as well. Getting epi-lasek, so not being able to use a computer for a week or so will be annoying!

Back on topic, I wonder what's holding Bodhi up? Normally he'd had posted something by now! ;)

Apparently PES6 is a *this year* exclusive to the 360, nothing to stop them releasing it for the ps3 in january though, just not in europe obviously!

It's the usual bullshit with Sony though isn't it? every game made by Sony in Japan is delayed in Europe for 6months.

I used to like Sony but Microsoft are showing themselves to be a great company to buy with and their customer service is outstanding.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not a fan of microsoft, due to their completely unethical business practises, although sony are getting just as bad. At least they both have a better track record in europe than nintendo though, remember the stupid costs they used to impose?

What I hate most is the fact that games developed in the uk seem to get the same delay as well, what's the excuse there?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Not getting PES6 this year is hardly an issue - PS3's are region free, just get Winning Eleven instead innit. It's hardly going to be a 360 exclusive in Japan is it, considering they've sold about 4 360's over there.

And as for the PS3 delay, I aren't too fussed. I wasn't going to be able to get one til the new year anyway.

Btw, MS a good company to buy from? Fucking LOL. Grats Aada, that's the funniest thing I heard in ages.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
400,000 units for America on release day and 100,000 for Japan, even a march launch for Europe seems optimistic with those numbers, they will probably end up pushing it back further so they can meet demand in America/Japan.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
That's 300k for the US and 100k for Canada, BTW. It's going to be mad on ebay! It's also unheard of for a japanese console manufacturer to release such small numbers in their home territory! I wonder if nintendo will make huge amounts of Wii sales due to this.

Remember it was similar for the PSP, march launch we were told, then there were major shortages in the US. When did we get it? September, nearly a year after it was originally released in Japan. Glad I got a japanese import just after they were released in the US.

My money is on something similar, probably a September 2007 release for the PS3 in Europe, or something like that!

Oh well, this is what sony gets for putting too much cutting edge stuff into a console, particularly the cell processor (yields are s***e), and the blu-ray drive (major teething troubles, so much so that they are diverting diodes allocated to making stand-alone players to make more ps3's. Does not bode well for blu-ray!).

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
The PS3 may be region free, but that does not go to say that the games will be,

Look at the 360, its region free, but many of the games are not.

Aada

Part of the furniture
inactionman said:
That's 300k for the US and 100k for Canada, BTW. It's going to be mad on ebay! It's also unheard of for a japanese console manufacturer to release such small numbers in their home territory! I wonder if nintendo will make huge amounts of Wii sales due to this.

Remember it was similar for the PSP, march launch we were told, then there were major shortages in the US. When did we get it? September, nearly a year after it was originally released in Japan. Glad I got a japanese import just after they were released in the US.

My money is on something similar, probably a September 2007 release for the PS3 in Europe, or something like that!

Oh well, this is what sony gets for putting too much cutting edge stuff into a console, particularly the cell processor (yields are s***e), and the blu-ray drive (major teething troubles, so much so that they are diverting diodes allocated to making stand-alone players to make more ps3's. Does not bode well for blu-ray!).

They will easily be going for £900 on ebay for the rich kids for christmas.

I agree they put too much cutting edge stuff into it which it DID NOT need and now they are going to pay the price.

Wouldn't suprise me at all now if MS lowered the price of the Premium Package for christmas to ensure maximum sales.

Bodhi

Looking long term tho, I can see a situation where all the Xbox lamers are fretting over where to find £400 for their next console whilst PS3 is still going strong, so it's swings and roundabout imo. The difference in graphics between PS2 and 360 is not worth spending 300 quid on right now for me, so I'm more than happy to wait for the next PlayStation.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If the 360 comes down in price significantly then I'd consider getting it, otherwise I'm waiting for the uberness of the PS3 - as it will be fucking uber. The 360 just doesn't feel like a next-gen - doesn't have that ooo factor.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
If the 360 comes down in price significantly then I'd consider getting it, otherwise I'm waiting for the uberness of the PS3 - as it will be fucking uber. The 360 just doesn't feel like a next-gen - doesn't have that ooo factor.

I dont see why the PS3 will be "fucking uber" compared to the 360.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
It just will, OK? :D

hehe, if you say so :)
The only new console I see as a real next-gen these days, is the wii.
Just about every console will have a "wow-factor" which will wear off sooner or later

Aada

Part of the furniture
Bodhi said:
Looking long term tho, I can see a situation where all the Xbox lamers are fretting over where to find £400 for their next console whilst PS3 is still going strong, so it's swings and roundabout imo. The difference in graphics between PS2 and 360 is not worth spending 300 quid on right now for me, so I'm more than happy to wait for the next PlayStation.

£400 aint much the 360 will be around for a while and we are only starting to see what the console can do with games like Lost Planet.

Have you actually seen the PS3 launch game line up? none of the big omfg hyped games such as MGS4 etc are there they are still in early production stages.

Don't forget you're not paying for the PS3 you're paying for the Blue Ray player inside it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
£400 aint much the 360 will be around for a while and we are only starting to see what the console can do with games like Lost Planet.

What's the big deal about Lost Planet? Good graphics, fun gameplay but nothing at all outstanding in there..

Bodhi

Wij said:
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/playstation_3_dead/

I'll probably buy one in 3 years time though. Who needs the latest kit ? I've still got loads of games to finish :)

The general consensus I'm getting from that article is Sony will be fine. In fact I'm getting some serious Deja Vu here - the run up to the PS3 launch seems identical to the PS2 launch save for the delays - poor launch titles, hardware too expensive and too difficult to make, etc. And PS2 bombed totally didn't it.

Aada, make sense please. £400 isn't too bad but £425 (current projected price for PS3 according to Wikipedia) is way too much? Does that extra 25 quid for a more powerful console and a Blu-Ray player really break the bank?

PS3 will be uber. Even nath says so.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
tbh I'm still not convinced. Everything about price and timing is becoming more boring by the day (and is usual shit for a console release anyhow). My problem is that I'm not convinced by the hardward. PS2 had me sold on the console itself as well as the games, PS3 feels different cos they keep messing with the specs & so on, feels like its being sold on "we'll have game no X in series no Y" factor (MGS4, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom