PS3 causing my wireless router to reset?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm. I've recently bought a PS3, with the idea of it being a mediacentereesque game thing, online and talking to my PC wirelessly through my router. Well, that works, though when the PS3 is talking wirelessly it seems to cause the router to "reset" every so often, ie the leds go out (all of them), then flash briefly, and then come on again. The router is a Linksys WRT54G on firmware 7.001, that's never given me this problem before and the PS3 is well, a PS3 running the latest software update. This only seems to happen when the PS3 is talking to my PC over the router.

Linksys' site is being a pain, so, anyone got any ideas? I actually have another router I can try, a netgear of some sort.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Unsure teeds, but my PS3 hasn't had this problem - i know that's no use, but it might suggest a router issue instead of the PS3? What wireless security settings have you got setup? Does WEP instead of WPA (or vice versa) have the same problem?

TdC

well, I'm sticking my head in the sand on this one: the netgear router doesn't do it, and has a *much* clearer interface than the linksys, so that one it will be!

old.user4556

Ahhh hmmm - I do have a Netgear and it's pretty slick and reliable, never a problem with the PS3 :)

TdC

I concur. Not had a single problem with it yet, though the PS3 and my vista based media server seem to be occasionally at loggerheads. I'll prolly post a separate thread about that though.

old.user4556

Wait.... what exactly is reseting? What are you trying to achieve teeds? Is this media server related? Are you trying to play WMP11 playlists? Sit on my couch and tell me more....

Just that you mention Vista... raises an eyebrow.

TdC

well at the time, I would tell the PS3 to talk to the pc, and all lights on the router would go out, pause, and then come on again. the PS3 would claim all kinds of errors and refuse to see the pc media server.

post TVersity there are still the occasional error, but all media is seen and displayed!

old.user4556

WMP11 is fiddly pain in the cock to setup to share media with the PS3 - if it's working well with TVersity then i'd stick with that. I'm using WMP11, but it was a total faff with uPNP services and the like. I've added new songs and refreshed the media playlist etc and I still get missing files and suck - total pita.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom