PS2 Best Games

Damini

Part of the furniture
Following on from the "What's in your PS2 Collection" thread, which games do you think are the ultimate games you *have* to own if you have a PS2? As Kenny said in the other thread, we've recently got ourselves a PS2, and once Whiplash stops owning my soul then we'd like to try out some new games (Sooooo many games... After being stuck in the drought that is Gamecube variety, we are now lost in a sea of PS2 titles). I'd like to know what games you consider The Jet Set Willy and the Manic Miner of the playstation 2.

Whiplash by the way is a very good game if you want to get rid of your girlfriend for a few days. Strangely addictive, but I think more a girly game than a man game.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, ICO, Frequency (and/or amplitude), at least one final fantasy game.

What sort of games do you like?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Vice City, Soul Calibur 2 (if you really can't stand the GC), NFL 2K4, Winning Eleven 7 International, Rez, Devil May Cry, Virtua Fighter 4, Prince of Persia (maybe a rental as it's very short), Space Channel 5 Special Edition, Silent Hill 2.

I'm sure I'll think of loads more that you should have later.

Edit; COMMAS DO NOT GO BEFORE FULL STOPS

Damini

Part of the furniture
Well, I played and completed ICO (with help!) and I really enjoyed it. Kenny loves Soul Caliber 2 with every essence of his being. I liked Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube, and all the resident evils. Neither of us play sports games (my only exception ever being Speedball Brutal Deluxe, ahh, the nostalgia...)

It wasn't that we couldn't stand the Gamecube, the games we liked on it were very good indeed, but there's just so little choice that as our only console it felt really limiting.

I've never touched any of the final fantasy games before. Can you just pluck one out of sequence to play, or is there a particular one you should start on?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say FF:Anthology. It's a PS1 title and has imo the best game in the FF series; FF3 (6 in Japan). All of the later titles suffer hideously from endless CG, angsty characters "WHO AM I????" or a really cliched story.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
m00

Thought I'd pop in and contribute.

First off : FPS on a console. NOOOOO!!

I'm not really after anything I can play on the PC so GTA:VC, Hitman2, NFS:U et al are all out.

I'm not into the 3d platformers too much but Damini seems to love them so if there's a definitive 3d platformer let her know. Oh and get her a second PS2 so I get at least 5 mins to play my games.

As the missus said, I love SC2 but the controls don't seem anywhere near as good to play compared to the GC gamepad. I'm desperate for some sort of converter to let me use a GC pad for SC2.

We've played a load of demos, some we got with the PS2 and some off the front over of the "Official Playstation 2 Magazine - The Only Magazine With Playable Demos" and the one's I've enjoyed so far are: Devil May Cry. That's it. :) All the rest were either crap or "ok".

Suggestions welcome as we are armed with our Blockbuster video card.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Prince of Persia is really absolutely fantastic, certainly the best 3d platform game in recent memory and has the bonus of being short so you can finish it before the rental is up, huzzah!

babs

Can't get enough of FH
The Ratchet and Clank games are fun if you like your 3D platformers.

Don't worry about picking a FF game out of series, not counting FFX-2 none of the games carry story through from one game to the next, each can be enjoyed on its own merits without needing to know what happened in the past.

I can thoroughly recommend Dance Dance Revolution, I know it's a bit cliché now, but it is excellent fun. My favourite so far is either DDRMAX 2 (7th Mix - Japan) or DDR Extreme. Get a decent mat and it's amazing how easily you become hooked after the initial 'OMG, I look like a twat' feeling goes away.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
babs said:
I can thoroughly recommend Dance Dance Revolution, I know it's a bit cliché now, but it is excellent fun. My favourite so far is either DDRMAX 2 (7th Mix - Japan) or DDR Extreme. Get a decent mat and it's amazing how easily you become hooked after the initial 'OMG, I look like a twat' feeling goes away.

POST TEH PICS!!"!"12`one

I've got my eye on Aliens Vs Predator Extinction. A RTS but it looks quite cool. Is it much cop or is it bugged to hell and has a crappy interface?

RedVenom

Banned
Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 and soon to be 4.

Only reason I've still got my ps2.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
For future reference, i'm keeping an eye out for:

Front Mission 4 (Something different, with elements of strategy)
Gran Turismo 4 (Get a steering wheel for this!)
Final Fantasy XII
Driver 3
GTA: San Andreas
Burnout 3
Juiced
Syphon Filter 4
Metal Gear Solid 3

Must have's, i'd say;

ICO
Final Fantasy X, X-2
Gran Turismo 3
DMC 1 + 2
SSX 3
Pro Evo 3 (Out on PC, but it's not the same)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Damini

Part of the furniture
I dance matt'ed once. In an arcade.

It drew a crowd, and for all the wrong reasons.

Then a small child led me away from the machine and showed me how it should be done properly :(

Never again.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Don't let that stop you. I'm a big chap, and I can beat most of the short skinny buggers I have for friends ;) The workout mode is encouraging too, giving you a Calorie read-out as you play :D

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
FFX, Kingdom Hearts \o/, Unlimited Saga, NFSU, Silent Hills + GTA's.

Damini

Part of the furniture
We've got Kingdom Hearts, and so far I just don't get it. We're in the town place, and all we seem to do is run around in circles occasionally hitting black cloud demon type things, while Disney characters appear as we exit looking for Leon (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom