PS2 - any (good) sword fighting games out there?

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I used to have that really fantastic game on the PS1 years and years ago (and, of course, I forgot the name) that brought samurai style sword fighting to its best.

Free movement in a 3D landscape, tons of blades to chose from... fantastic moves etc.

And basically right now I am looking for the PS2 equivalent.
So, my question to you guys - any good sword fighting games out there on the PS2?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Uncle Sick said:
I used to have that really fantastic game on the PS1 years and years ago (and, of course, I forgot the name) that brought samurai style sword fighting to its best.

Free movement in a 3D landscape, tons of blades to chose from... fantastic moves etc.

And basically right now I am looking for the PS2 equivalent.
So, my question to you guys - any good sword fighting games out there on the PS2?

I think you are referring to Bushido Blade by Square Enix (. Was indeed an amazing game and i loved the almsot fatal blows with every swipe tho i cant really remember or think of any similar games to on PS2, The sequel could be played on the PS2 i guess but for now the only one that sticks out for me which is vaguely related would be tenchu 2, think Metal Gear Solid with katanas and mortal kombat style finishing moves but a really heavy emphasis on stealth.

Also Soul Calibur 2 would be a good choice but thats just a Tekken clone with swords, but LOTS of them :)

I used to love bushido Blade, thanks for the memories :p

There are m,any arcade slashers on PS2, tho the reason i liked BB was the pseudo realism involved. If you really dont mind arcade type games get Mark Of Kri, a very decent nasty slash/beat em up

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Also Soul Calibur 2 would be a good choice but thats just a Tekken clone with swords, but LOTS of them
That, my friend, is heresy. Soul Calibur in all its guises poops on Tekken from a great height.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
babs said:
That, my friend, is heresy. Soul Calibur in all its guises poops on Tekken from a great height.

Heh ok i guess. Soul Calibur 2 is similar to Tekken in the fact that its in 3d, made by Namco and you get to whack your opponent to bits. Other than that the 2 games are pretty much different. Was a figure of speech, not an opinion :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
babs said:
You are grotesquely incorrect.

That is all.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Nath is right. Babs is wrong. I can't say I'm surprised.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Ahh, well, I enjoy more than 10 minutes worth of depth, but that's just me ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Funny that, so do I. That's why I play tekken.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
You are grotesquely incorrect.

That is all.

Well, if I can't get involved in a Vi vs Emacs flame war....

Soul Caliber > Tekken.

By a frightening margin.

Soul Caliber II is possibly the best beat-em-up in the world. Tekken 4 was an over-hyped let down of titanic proportions.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I got bored of SC2 rather quickly. I still play Tekken Tag. Hence by this logic

Tekken > Soul Calibur.

The defence rests.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Judgement in this case goes against the defence.

Tekken is a good series but frankly 4 gives me cause to wish to turn myself into a suicide bomber and kill all the programmers in one fell swoop. SC2 is marginally more entertaining but the ability to beat the shit out of Link on the GC version is probably the only reason for this.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Good judge you are G, you spelt "Judgment" wrong. :p

So, by default the defense wins.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Sir Frizz said:
Counter pedant wins. :(

Tekken has cashed its' chips I'm afraid.

SC2 rocks like Mick Jagger on a 48 hour acid binge. Tekken is now content to just sit on the sofa and go:

"Yeah, that's nice. Let's write a play. Gwenneth Paltrow can be mother".

Pathetic.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Tekken 4 but tekken tag and tekken 3 rock, I'm content to ignore T4's existence and compare earlier releases to SC2. Both tekken tag and tekken 3 win.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Heinemann English Dictionary

judgement, judgment (say juj-m'nt)
noun
1. the ability to judge wisely.
2. an opinion of estimation.
3. the decision of a judge concerning the matter in dispute.

So in summary, go to hell you silly smeg head!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom