FH news Proposed New Forum Layout

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't merge FHOT with General.. That would be a disaster!

Is that like the same disaster we were warned about when we moved FHOT out of DAOC?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
More Boobies!!

That is all.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
As often appears to be the case, Ed has cut through the nonsense and made the point everyone is thinking.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Is that like the same disaster we were warned about when we moved FHOT out of DAOC?

No. I am still a little upset that we got moved, but I get along. A merge and a move is not the same

Embattle

FH is my second home
Looks great to me!
I'm quite please that off-topic and general will be merged. They are the same thing anyway and so far it has been a success moving off topic out of DAOC...

I am as well since floating about between them is a bit annoying.

Will

/bin/su
Don't think of it as a merge, think of it as getting rid of general and taking a bunch of homeless Generalites in. We all post in there now anyway.

The console forum was left separate for two reasons. Firstly, it is (or at least was) culturally quite different from the normal gaming forums. There was always more blatant fanboyism than elsewhere. Also, I didn't think MYstIC G would go for it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You know what, forget it, bin the consoles section.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Off topic wibble shit
Tech Support
Gaming
---DAOC sub forum
Feedback

ezgame?

MMOs can have their own threads in gaming, and if it gets crazy busy get a subforum until ti dies :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Leave the console forum I say, we need to keep Aada away from the general posting population as much as possible.

Plus, can we have some more boobies?

Genedril

Part of the furniture
What ECA said but with DAoC and Console subs??

Venturing into the console forum from time to time as a PS3 owner can be a bit of a culture shock. Then again I get altitude sickness at General and Forum news level so it might just be me.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I still agree with CorNokZ. Stop messing about with OT.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
Off topic wibble shit
Tech Support
Gaming
---DAOC sub forum
Feedback

ezgame?

MMOs can have their own threads in gaming, and if it gets crazy busy get a subforum until ti dies :p

How about create a sub forum for a game e.g. Rift. If there are no new postings on it in (say) a month the sub-forum gets moved into "archived". Info is still around if we need to reference it but it does not clutter up the main part of the forum?
I am actually ok with the tag system used now but would like to see more Rift posts with useful information such as tactics/builds which might bolster community spirit even if we are all in different guilds/servers.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Give EVE its own section, and make it possible to block everything in it!

Will

/bin/su
Ok, can we stop asking for sub-forums now unless we've read the rest of the thread where I say they will be added when needed?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Can we have some sub-forums please will.....

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
That was more a joke about the EVE players constant banging on about needing their own forum, but whatever.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't merge FHOT with General.. That would be a disaster!

Whilst I wouldn't see it as a disaster it's not something I'd particularly like to see.

I occasionally post in a few threads in off-topic but to my mind is so chock-full of shit that I don't like hanging around in there. (No offence intended - it's just how I feel).

I could just be fearing change but my gut tells me to say no.

I understand there's an aethstetic issue with having what two people might see as "general" forums - but in the end life's about feelings and both these forums have a very different feel.

I don't think off-topic would be hugely detrimentally affected by a merge, but General would die.

It's been my homepage since Barrysworld first came online and is the *only* form of web communication I engage in. Cause the rest is all shit. :(

Edit: Actually. That's pretty disastrous isn't it...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I don't think off-topic would be hugely detrimentally affected by a merge, but General would die.

General is pretty dead already!

Most activity is in off-topic and generally the threads started in General are often repeated in Off-Topic as well.

It really is time for a merge. I doubt the "feeling" would change because the same people will be posting...

gohan

FH is my second home
sofa???? waffleduck?????

fhot cant be fhot if its fhsofa

i demand a recount

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whilst I wouldn't see it as a disaster it's not something I'd particularly like to see.

I occasionally post in a few threads in off-topic but to my mind is so chock-full of shit that I don't like hanging around in there. (No offence intended - it's just how I feel).

I could just be fearing change but my gut tells me to say no.

I understand there's an aethstetic issue with having what two people might see as "general" forums - but in the end life's about feelings and both these forums have a very different feel.

It's been my homepage since Barrysworld first came online and is the *only* form of web communication I engage in. Cause the rest is all shit. :(

Edit: Actually. That's pretty disastrous isn't it...
BW/FH only got replaced as my homepage when I moved my calendar online for work. It has been the top of my "Most visited" folder in firefox ever since they introduced the feature and nothing has ever knocked it off number 1.

Dys is right there is overlap between general and FHOT. I think the FHOT peeps are fearful but they should maybe read the old BW general forum down the bottom. This place was a lot more lively when there was more random bullshit.

Over time we tucked that away at the back and now we've paid for it. Newbs from DAoC were ravaged in general so OT was born. With Warhammer the damage had already been done so the ship was steered away from creating another "us" & "them" situation. We're now at the place where imho we should address that situation and put it to bed once and for all, so everyone can get on and post.

Worst come to the worse mate, we can hide out in The Elite forum, lol ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ah fuck it. I was gonna post but life is change.

And I can moan to fuck (and will) if I hate it. I forsee me pissing a lot of people off! :)

gohan

FH is my second home
Ah fuck it. I was gonna post but life is change.

And I can moan to fuck (and will) if I hate it. I forsee me pissing a lot of people off! :)

your face genrally pisses me off anyway

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, dioubt CorNokZ meant that it would be a mistake for us FHOTians, but are you really prepared to open those particular gates and let the flood of homosexual ooze and foul defiling gas infiltrate general.

You might never recover :p

It's...hard to explain, but FHOT might seem alright at a glance, easy merge, but the way we're raised there, is a whole different way and it might cause problems.

Then again...:flame:...we FHOTians would enjoy it.

Otherwise the layout, well, simple is often better, but i also think that it needs to be a REALLY thought out arrangement. Otherwise you'll have to revert back, reopen sections etc.

I would suggest doing it over time, see what sections have activity, then do a "notice and merge" on the dead ones. Heavyhanded(and fast) merging and deletion of sections is often a bad move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom