[QUESTION] Programmable keyboards - What's GOA's stance?

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I was just browsing some forums and I saw a lot of mentioning regarding keyboards with which you can create macros (i.e. press 8, wait 5secs, press 9 etc).

I know that in daoc such a thing was not allowed. Can we have an answer on whether or not this is allowed now?

Ta in advance

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Certain DaoC Team Leads on VN openly admited using N52's for playing their pallys and minstrels

Seen lots of posts by chosen players admiting the same thing

Tbh, I think Mythic only really gave a shit when it was used for crafting

Dre@d

Fledgling Freddie
If u mean using scripts ( let the char do the job alone while u aint sleeping or sumit ) its bannable.

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Good question!

I believe this is covered in the FAQ in this answer.

WAR FAQ said:
Any action that can be accomplished using WARs default Interface features is not a violation, however It is a violation of our Code of Conduct to Use any scripting or macroing tools, hardware or software. This includes any third party software or hardware implement which allows for players to perform actions in-game while unattended.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Originally Posted by WAR FAQ
Any action that can be accomplished using WARs default Interface features is not a violation, however It is a violation of our Code of Conduct to Use any scripting or macroing tools, hardware or software. This includes any third party software or hardware implement which allows for players to perform actions in-game while unattended.

Meaning that its ok as long as your sat at the keyboard? :p

J

Jenk

LOL.. so you think using my g15 macro keys for, let's say pally twist should be considered bannable? Haha, get fucked.

I fully agree that unattended macros should be banned. Such as those found for crafting and EVE:Online mining macros, where a player can leave their clients running macros for literally hours on end.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
LOL.. so you think using my g15 macro keys for, let's say pally twist should be considered bannable? Haha, get fucked.

A reply fitting to your personality I guess.

You want to twist? Learn how to do it!

J

Jenk

You can't question my personality because of one post. :)

I'd still need to learn how to twist to program the macro. And by macro I don't mean "press one button and that's me set for twisting until I stop playing"

I mean pressing 1 button every 2 or 3 seconds instead of drumming 5 or more.

J

Jenk

True, but we can question you haveing read the link from Nic.

If your in front of your keyboard, tis all fine :)

No you can't, because my post was regarding the OP's thoughts, or rather that elsewhere he read that *all* macro usage should be banned.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
...however It is a violation of our Code of Conduct to Use any scripting or macroing tools, hardware or software.

Any macroing is prohibited by this. There's no exception.

Though, I doubt anyone get suspended for doing an Alt+1 macro.

J

Jenk

Any macroing is prohibited by this. There's no exception.

Though, I doubt anyone get suspended for doing an Alt+1 macro.
Don't quote out of context. The following sentence to that changes it completely.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Don't quote out of context. The following sentence to that changes it completely.

Actually it doesn't.
It includes - meaning not limited too.
A Happy Meal at McDonalds includes toy. Doesn't mean the toy is all you get or can get.

It specifically mentions macros which aren't achievable via the in-game framework - including those things which can make you perform unattended actions. However simply because you are present at the keyboard doesn't make it ok either. Because something which can perform actions unattended even while you are attending, can still be performed unattended and thus is still targeted.

Now whether they actually do anything about it - that's a completely different matter.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
I don't really find myself enlightened by this about the use of my G15. I'm talking about activating two or three spells one after another with one button whilst I am actively playing, not running a macro whilst I am not at the computer.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
simply said, don't bother with that. The ingame lag itself is going to screw that up more often than not if it's in a tight timeframe, or otherwise you're loosing out on the reaction time.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
I don't really find myself enlightened by this about the use of my G15. I'm talking about activating two or three spells one after another with one button whilst I am actively playing, not running a macro whilst I am not at the computer.
That would be pressing one button to achieve something should take 3 button presses and is therefore a macro and bannable. You can map any button to any device you like and as long as one "action" on the device corresponds to one "button press" on a "normal" keyboard you are fine. Hell, you could even train your pet budgie to peck a key if you like but as long as all the that keypress does is one button press action that is fine too.

@Everyone. Regarding N52's as mentioned much earlier in the post, why would anyone have a problem with admitting to using one? I use one to play Warhammer and always will. Each of the many possible button presses on it (and yes there are lots) is directly mapped to one regular keyboard key. It's really no different to having a 2nd USB keyboard plugged in and using that for certain keypresses and your main keyboard for the others.

@Everyone. BTW the N52's are awesome for MDPS which is when they really shine, put one on your xmas list now. Linkie.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
...just say: oh it was my artificial intelligence programmed cat who just happend to walk on my keyboard ...

xD:flame:

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Good question!

I believe this is covered in the FAQ in this answer.

So to be clear, both using a G15 to build combustion to 100 (10 spell casts) with 1 key press while at the keyboard is bannable?

AND

Using the same macro looped ad infinitum while afk is also bannable.

Correct or nae?

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
So to be clear, both using a G15 to build combustion to 100 (10 spell casts) with 1 key press while at the keyboard is bannable?

That's what I want to know as well. Same goes for auras, and attack queing. And if it is bannable, does goa employ any tools to detect this? Should be easy to flag people that their attacks always have the same gap as it's not humanly possible to do so.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
According to their terms it "would" be banable.
In theory......

Whether they even bother with it - that's an entirely different matter. And I doubt they'll answer whether they actually do anything about it.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Should be easy to flag people that their attacks always have the same gap as it's not humanly possible to do so.

I wouldnt be so sure. First they had to put a check for this into the client. Latency will skew serversided measuring attempts. Also _IF_ there was a check for that client wise, it was only a matter of time till the macroing introduced gaps randomized by a couple of ms. Nothing won, a lot of manpower wasted.

You could only track that decently if you fuck around with the operating system and we all know the insane fallout that would follow, if someone found out Mythic actually went that way.

I dont like cheaters any more than the next guy, but I wont accept anyone spying on my OS "just to be sure" even tho "I have nothing to hide".

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to discuss this with our CS department to make sure I got it right.

AND

Using the same macro looped ad infinitum while afk is also bannable.

Correct or nae?

Strictly speaking that is correct yes.

Using the G15 keys on the left side of the keyboard as 'extra buttons' by mapping single actions to them is acceptable. But having your character perform several actions with a single keystroke is not.

I hope you can understand I will not go into further detail on if it is detectable or if we will take actions on it.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
This is stupid lol. Its like arguing that someone with more mouse buttons than the standard is cheating . Get real.

Old old arguement btw and always appears in mmo forums usually started my folks piss poor and cant afford a keyboard with more than 5 keys and have to busk to find the fee for their monthly sub.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Seeing as there's now addons that do multiple things for you with one keypress I can't see how those would be permitted when the G15 and Nostromo aren't when they're doing exactly the same thing.

I'm thinking of the addon that I saw added to Curse yesterday that twists auras - I didn't touch it as I've a feeling it will be banned.

edit: double checked and Curse have removed it.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to discuss this with our CS department to make sure I got it right.

I hope you can understand I will not go into further detail on if it is detectable or if we will take actions on it.

Not a problem, i understand that detection methods etc are confidential.

Nic - see my PM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom