Problems with BWCSL servers?

O

old.fiasco

LO top o the morning to all,
I took part in one of the games on Tuesday, the 2nd April, SMEG v Stylee. The game started ok, ish, then the server dumped most peeps, and i mean dumped, it caused a complete client side meltdown, most of us had to reboot.

This continued to happen, at one point it was 3 v 2. Are BW experiencing problems with their servers? Or was this a one off occurrance? I have played using the BW pubby's for about 18 months, and they seem quite stable, when compared to the BWCSL servers, is there a reason for this?

thnx

R

RogueOne

I'm looking into this matter. I've watched the demo of the SMEG/Styleee game. So far as I can see, Styleee dropped to 1 player and SMEG to 4 for a round or two. As this clearly disadvantaged Styleee more and as they still won the match, I saw no need to amend the result or order a replay.

I'm not sure why we've been having this client crash bug. We've had 2 instances in week 6 and 3 in week 3, although none of the others were as serious as the SMEG/Styleee incident. I've also now experienced two similar hangs on publics in the last fortnight, one on dust, the other on dust2. It seems to be a problem associated with these two maps, as far as I can tell.

S

S-Gray

I have been gettin this on the Publics and Bookables.

About 2 weeks ago i was on Dust, and just overlooking the doorway / underground tunnel my computer locked up, and the sound looped continusly. I used Control Alt Delete to shut down CounterStrike, but then my computer just froze, causing me to Power my computer down.

Then about a week ago on Cbble, my game did exactly the same in the main Yard.

I asked in the Half Life thread, but they said it could have been a bug in the CS Guard AntiCheat. Altho we wasnt too sure?

R

RogueOne

Yeah... that's the one. It may well be a problem caused by the anti-cheat software, since I noticed it started around the time that this was installed. Normally, I can get out of it by alt-tabbing and closing down half-life, but some people do seem to need reboots, which is unfortunate. It does seem to occur on some maps more than others. As I say, dust and dust 2 seem particularly hard hit... we haven't used cobble this season so I can't speak for that, but it may well be that the problem affects it as well.

C

Ch3tan

The publics have been updated to the latest version of csg with a shiney config from bob. The league servers dont appear to have been upgraded.

The new version seems fine, maybe prod natrat and ask him about updating the league servers?

O

old.fiasco

Could Bw advise some configs for some typical connections and specs of pc?

I understand this could not apply to all but by providing a rough guideline for typical scenarios, then individuals could use these to edit their own config.

Also, one solution to the problem of my cs taking ages to connect or changing map and the looping sound problem, is that:
I have the retail version of cs, and i allways believed that you had to have hl installed to play cs. But recently i reinstalled cs without hl and i dont appear to be having these problems, as much especially the looping crash. which has only happened to me once since the reinstall, that i did allmost a month ago.

R

RogueOne

Do you mean configs for servers or clients? So far as I know, barrysworld don't make the config files for their servers available. However, I'd expect that most players wouldn't have any real reservations about showing you the client-configs that they use.

However, I doubt that the problems you describe are caused by your config. Slow load times could be caused either by your PC or your connection to the net. The looping-sound crash sounds like one I used to get in certain games and which affects a lot of people with AMD systems. If you have an AMD machine with a VIA motherboard (eg. Asus A7V, Abit KT7), make sure you have the latest VIA 4-in-1s installed. In addition, if this doesn't work, you can try setting your AGP speed to 1x through your CMOS setup. Please note that these are just a few ways I found of removing a problem I was having. They aren't guaranteed and I can't accept any responsibility if you try them and they have unpleasant side-effects. Tweaking with CMOS settings in particular should only be attempted if you're 100% sure you know what you're doing.

I also found much useful information on the looping-sound crash at the www.amdmb.com forums. However, it's worth noting that there can be more than one cause for this crash.

O

old.Lemming

How looping is it? Does it loop every sound, or just certain ones? Oh and btw, Less had this trouble (the bad crashing one) vs JPF, hence the 19-0 scoreline, we rarely had more then 4 players on the server:/

P

[pp]Ripper

lol, we must have been lucky, u would have 0wned us otherwise
:D

Shame u gave up at half time though, u could have EASILY got 20 rounds.

O

old.Lemming

Ripper is there any particular reason u feel you have to rip into me everytime a speak?

T

[TNN]Aardvark

This happened in the KK/SO19 game on dust2 as well, although luckily before the match itself started. We thought it was a BW connectivity issue at the time, but it appeared 2-3 players were unnaffected.

Users who are viewing this thread