Problems setting slave drive

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have 2 Hard drives, i need the data from 1 so i wanna set it as a slave and move the data accross.
The problem i get is the old drive boots instead of the new one, i tried lots of things but i end up with the same outcome.

Hard Drive A (windows xp, want this the master drive)
Hard Drive B (windows 98, need data from here so has to be the slave)

I have Jumper settings MA (master) SL (slave) CS (cable select) NA (nothing)

The Primary IDE connector is with the Hard drive A, slave connector is in B. Hard drive A has the jumper on MA, B is set to SL. I have put these in every possible configuration but to no avail.
I used the 2nd IDE cable from the CDROM drive and set them both up with Master cable, CS jumper points but the problem still persists.

In the Bios i have checked and sometimes the drives are set in the right order (depending on what setup i chose) however it always boots windows 98.

Windows98 usually gets an error message EMM16 <cant remember the rest>, if it does try and load i receive tons of "new hardwar detected, windows will try and install" messages....after 5 minutes i switched the machine off and tried again.

1 person told me "if you try and setup Master+Slave drives on 2 hard drives with 2 different operation systems it wont work". He was not 100% on this though.

HEELLPP!!!!!!!

illu

Part of the furniture
Clutching at straws, maybe update the Bios on the mobo?

Also perhaps try a different hard drive cable - maybe if you are using a hd with win98 on it, it is old and the cable you have is too fast, maybe a 133 cable, try a 100 cable?

Maybe try your CD Rom cable?

And you had the master slave in this order, Mobo->Slave->Master?

Is the 2nd hard drive showing up correctly in the BIOS?

Good Luck!

Oli - Illu

Bahumat

FH is my second home
in terms of jumper settings i have almost broke the jumper by putting it on so many different ways lol

maybe the cable is the answer, i did try the cdrom ide cable but to no avail.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
sounds to me like the master boot record is set to the wrong OS.

Im asuming you installed windows 98 after you installed windows xp?
In short try and boot up without the 98 hdd in the computer, you will then see if the XP partition is bootable.
If it does then go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q69013/
and folow the instructions

Bahumat

FH is my second home
nope, complete new pc with windows xp, got old hdd with 98 and tried to setup as slave

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
mhm have you tryd the one whit XP as MA and the other on cable select? had the same prob once whit a drive and that fixxed it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
hmm i did try that. cause i have 4 :::: i was unsure on which was MA the first : or the 4th : i tried every possible configuration but still no joy :(

will try again, thanks everyone for the help.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
double check the SL jumper settings on the 2nd drive.

Had this before when there were many ::::: and i had the jumper over the wrong pins for slave, the diagram on the top of the HDD wasnt really that helpfull.

But its still confusing, if you have set each drive to be MA and one on each IDE channel then the bios should let you select which channel to boot from

Which BIOS and version are you using ?
And whats the model number and make of the HDDs ?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
1 person told me "if you try and setup Master+Slave drives on 2 hard drives with 2 different operation systems it wont work". He was not 100% on this though.

HEELLPP!!!!!!!

It will work, you can generaly install your operating systems to any drive and any partition now. There were some restrictions with 95/98 but these shouldnt apply in your case.

Its just puzzling you've covered all the bases. both drives on the primary IDE cable, bios set to master/normal (not cable select) set the XP to be MA and the 98 to be SL - but its not working..... strange....

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i cant get my head round it :( like you say the diagram is very poor so it could be.

:=jumper points.
-=need to make a space

ma sl cs n/a
:--:--:--:

or

n/a cs sl ma
:---:--:--:-

I tried MA on xp hard drive A and SL on hard drive b, if i was wrong onthe jumper layout i tried it in reverse, for every combination you could use....i did that plus also the reverse lol.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
If it was me, id get the system to boot from XP with the XP disk set to MA, and the bios set to normal (not cable select)

Then go search the other HDD's website to get more information on the jumper settings to make it Slave.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
the old hard drive is 4gb so that gives you a rough estimate of how old it is.
I cant say i have tried every combination but i cant be far from it!

i'll have to have another play about with it.

just to confirm how it should look in the bios

Primary Master new hdd
Primary Slave old hdd
Secondary Master
Secondary Slave

i did have the secondary master as the old hdd when using the 2nd IDe cable but it seems to push the old hdd to boot windows.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
the old hard drive is 4gb so that gives you a rough estimate of how old it is.
I cant say i have tried every combination but i cant be far from it!

i'll have to have another play about with it.

just to confirm how it should look in the bios

Primary Master new hdd
Primary Slave old hdd
Secondary Master
Secondary Slave

i did have the secondary master as the old hdd when using the 2nd IDe cable but it seems to push the old hdd to boot windows.

Yup looks right, its gota be the jumper settings.

illu

Part of the furniture
Another method could be to try and get the computer that the old 4gb hard drive came out of - to try and transfer the data from that computer over a small network to the new computer? (via cross over cable, or hub with normal ethernet cables)

Or put the 98 drive in and maybe try and get that up and running and then save the data to a DVD Disc, if you have a DVD Writer? Then transfer that to the new Hard drive.

Or if the worst comes to the worst and you are having trouble getting 98 to work, re-install 98 or repair(?) 98 on top of the old copy - then get the data off with CD or DVD Burner. (usually the data is ok, but you might lose it - hence worst case scenario)

Oli - Illu

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Or if you can get both disks working regardless of which one boots - use NTFSDos from www.sysinternals.com just xfer the data and be done with it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i dont have a network card in the old pc but i had 1 idea.

use main pc with new hdd, burn a copy of nero onto cd, put old hdd in and install, copy data onto cd, put new hdd in and paste data.

about 500mb data iirc :(

Gamah

Banned
Go into bios, look for "boot order" and select the new drive..its the fact your old drive is set to boot first under bios, hence it perma booting into the old os.

Edit: Nevermind I saw you tried that ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom