Printers

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Looking to buy a printer, which printers should I avoid? (Hp?) for their reputation for ink being cheaper than the printer, or are they all at the same game?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think you mean ink more expensive than the printer?

Samsung and Canon seem to be the most popular at the moment. You're going to pay through the nose for ink whichever brand you go for (some worse than others); it's how they make their money after practically giving the printers away.

I'm assuming you're looking for a A4... lots of photographs or just text?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Got an HP Officejet 6700 here and it works really well and can use the XL inks so works out better value than those using standard HP cartridges. Canons are still one of the best for pictures and graphics and Epson is also fairly good a lot of the time it'll be personal preference as to which brand although make sure it can use XL inks and as above I wouldn't expect much difference when it comes to price per page on ink costs.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think you mean ink more expensive than the printer?

Samsung and Canon seem to be the most popular at the moment. You're going to pay through the nose for ink whichever brand you go for (some worse than others); it's how they make their money after practically giving the printers away.

I'm assuming you're looking for a A4... lots of photographs or just text?

Yeah, I did, just text really, have to print out like stupid amounts of text on a weekly basis, so black and white efficiency would be awesome.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Interested to see how this thread pans out because my missus is doing a lot of home printing and it's costing a fortune in ink.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I did, just text really, have to print out like stupid amounts of text on a weekly basis, so black and white efficiency would be awesome.
Well you can pick up a HP something something for like £30 that will do fine I expect. If it's *just* text you could take the step up to a laser printer. You pay a bit more for the printer but the toner cartridges last much longer. I had a quick look at HP's offerings and they make a black and white Laserjet Pro P1102 for £70 and then you're paying either £45 for the official toner cartridge or about £12 for a third-party on. You get 1600 pages out of both though, so it's much cheaper to run than an inkjet. Obviously falls flat on its arse when it comes to printing colour and photos but for just text a black and white laser can't be beaten.

old.user4556

Well you can pick up a HP something something for like £30 that will do fine I expect. If it's *just* text you could take the step up to a laser printer. You pay a bit more for the printer but the toner cartridges last much longer. I had a quick look at HP's offerings and they make a black and white Laserjet Pro P1102 for £70 and then you're paying either £45 for the official toner cartridge or about £12 for a third-party on. You get 1600 pages out of both though, so it's much cheaper to run than an inkjet. Obviously falls flat on its arse when it comes to printing colour and photos but for just text a black and white laser can't be beaten.

Do you have a laser printer @caLLous ? I need an option for black and white printing at low cost, seems laser is the way?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No I just know the running costs of a black and white laser are way lower than inkjets if all you want printed is text. I have a Canon MX420 all-in-one job and a PIXMA Pro9000 Mk2.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd agree with the Canon suggestion, ink seems usefully cheaper than HP and the printers are a bit more reliable too. Can't remember what model mine is but can tell you it's an MG3500 series, pretty good for 50 quid from Tesco. No display on i tthough, so I needed a USB cable to set up the WiFi, other than that no issues,

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have a hand-me-down cannon something or other from work for black and white printing. It does colour too but not the best really. Ok for colour word docs but no good for photos.

I got some cartridges on Amazon, £12 for 3 sets of reconditioned cartridges.

When I have bought them in the past I have always checked the cost of ink first.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-CP1025nw-LaserJet-Colour-Printer/dp/B00EO4B7KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412245186&sr=8-1&keywords=hp 1025nw printer

Ignore the retard reviews. Yes HP support is shit and yes the drivers by them are aids we know this already but you don't need them if you are on Windows 8 and Windows 7 was fine as well. Check out the cost of replacement toner(compatibles) also. I have this printer and still have the toners in what it was shipped with getting on for about a year now and they aren't close to running out. Highly impressive little printer.

Oh and I chose this because I was advised to by 2 mates where I worked, they are printer engineers and both had worked on them and said they were really well designed/made.

@Big G If you want a mono laser printer go for Lexmark if you want speed the T650 is brilliant. Lexmark for the most part still use pressure rollers and heater rollers in their fusers which is a way more reliable method than the cheaper and more used method by HP who mainly use sleeves on their fusers now which tend to tear and wear after time......oh god can you tell I was a fuser engineer?

Last edited:

old.user4556

Cheers Trem, that printer is a bit on the big / expensive side, we just need an alternative for black and white text because the missus us churning through a lot of ink / cartridges. 1600 pages for a £60 toner cartridge seems fappingly good cost per print ratio.

Trem

Aye chum, I only really know about the industrial/office sized mono printers, but if you ever wanted something that huge that's the one :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
As if you have experience with anything huge.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I use an Epson at home and the ink does seem to go a long way (text) at work we have a HP and we pay a monthly thing and it monitors the ink you use and then they automatically send you more when you need it so you never run out.

We pay £7 a month, but they do a cheaper option based on what you need to print

Trem

What model is it Edlar? You know you can reset the page count through the service menu for lower bills, but you haven't heard that from me.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
What model is it Edlar? You know you can reset the page count through the service menu for lower bills, but you haven't heard that from me.

Oh, really? as we keep going over our limit and they charge a bit more if we print too many pages in the 30 day time period. They send too much to, as we currently have 2 more cartridges than we need.

Its an Envy, not sure of the model number

Now, not that It would be something I would do.....but say someone for instance......you know.....wanted to reset the page count, how could that person do such a thing?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh, really? as we keep going over our limit and they charge a bit more if we print too many pages in the 30 day time period. They send too much to, as we currently have 2 more cartridges than we need.

Its an Envy, not sure of the model number

Now, not that It would be something I would do.....but say someone for instance......you know.....wanted to reset the page count, how could that person do such a thing?

WARNING!!!!

@Edmond , be very careful about accepting any DIY advice from @Trem !!!!

Trem

Said person would need to find how to get onto the service menu for said printer, every printer has one and google generally is that persons friend @Edmond failing that another said @Trem knows other said persons within areas that may possibly be able to find out how to enter that menu.....you know.....for educational purposes and to save the polar bears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom