Printer?

Gray

FH is my second home
I have been without a Printer now for about 3-4 years if not longer on my home-PC, i keep meaning to actually look but priorities tend to shift a bit.

But with talk of retailers pretty much cutting costs in sales, it seems like it would be the perfect time to potentially snap one up.

Price could be a factor for one, as i dont want anything overly expensive, probably less than £100 would be sufficient, after all i dont really *DO* much colour printing.

Multifunction one would be nice, i used to have an Epson 750 which was lovely. Scanner and Printer though is really what i would be looking for.

Finally, probably the main one - cartridge costs and supply. Chances are i would probably only use the printer on an occasional moment, maybe once or twice every month or so for printing. The problem with the last one was the ink got iffy. I would learn my lesson from that though and do testprints every week or so - But i dont want the ink cartridges to be that expensive.

Oh and lastly - wires. I would prefer wireless really, im not too familiar with them though. I hear they can go through your routers but i have the LinkSys BEFSR41 [wired] so i dont think that would be suitable. I did hear some stuff about bluetooth ones - do you just plug in a dongle and move the printer somewhere inrange? I expect those to be quite pricey though...

Few month ago i did see some Canon printer which sounded perfect, but there was something which put me off of it - like it didnt have the accessory to complete the setup, that was an extra "££"

xMultifunction [Printer, Scanner]
xCheapish [<£100]
xCheap cartridges
xWireless preferred

Anyone know of good deals? Going to be checking Ebuyer again [That was were i seen the Canon] plus the Devils-own PCWorld because of that sale they apparently have on.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I can't honestly sit and recommend one printer over another as you'll be buggered sideways in costs for ink with any route. On that case I generally recommend going for a cheap and cheerful, Morissons do a nice little HP multifunction for 50 quid, the ink is easily available and not too expensive and it just works. It's not stupidly high quality but does the job.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Tesco are doing a wirless Lexmark reduced from about £140 to about £60 atm. scans and photocopies too

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Dabs have this HP for about £69: HP Photosmart C4580. Its all in one, with wifi built in, and a pretty reasonable price, and while the HP ink is just as expensive as all the others, it has the advantage of being more widely available (you can buy it in Tescos now).

Kryten

Old Cow.
Thats the same printer I have for 50 quid (cost me 40 with brothers staff discount) but with wifi - it's a good printer, does the job.
And yeah, for ink availability I can wander over the road to Asda and get either original or cheapo ink, £10 or £6 respectively.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've always gone for Canon as the cartridge prices always seem to be cheaper.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i switched from hp to canon, photo printing would i thought use up all the ink till one day i cracked one open and it was preety much still full. i went for a cheap £29 canon ip1800 photo quility is on par with my old hp one and and i have cracked open my carts first time i ran out and there was nothing but a few drops in.

there prolly is a dedicated printer site that prolly lists actually ink usage

Gray

FH is my second home
Think i will be going down the Canon route, they do seem to do what i need, most likely i will have to go for a wired version as well, as much as i didnt *want* too, because my small workstation just doesnt have the room for any extra clutter [Hence why i didnt get another printer]

But the Canon's do seem to be small, so im sure i can find somewhere for it.

One question about printers though, is it correct in saying that if you replace an [empty] black-ink cartridge, you also have to replace the colour-ink cartridge at the same time - Even if the colour cartridge hasnt had much use?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
no that used to be the case with some printers. all canons are change as you go if colour runs out first you change that. one more thing if size is an issue lexmark do some with a small footprint but ithey are priced higher around £60-70

Gray

FH is my second home
Ordered the Printer a few days ago off of Ebuyer. Was a Canon PIXMA MP190, i seen it ages ago but decided to get it now.

£40, and then a £15 cashback, seems it didnt have a USB cable with it though so im gonna go to PC World tomorrow [New Years!] to get one, plus see if anything else is on decent sale.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Argh! Gray, did you not read this thread? If you haven't got one already, get it from amazon - 2.50 instead of about 15 quid.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've always gone for Canon as the cartridge prices always seem to be cheaper.
Agreed, I specifically got my cannon because it's got individual colour cartridges which saves a fortune.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
if its not usb cablesthen its AV progs. my brother whent and got a hp lappy from pcw. the guy insisted he buys norton to protect him self. "your bank account will be empty within a day if you dont"

nath

Fledgling Freddie
if its not usb cablesthen its AV progs. my brother whent and got a hp lappy from pcw. the guy insisted he buys norton to protect him self. "your bank account will be empty within a day if you dont"
Oh man that fills me with nerd-rage™. They really don't put it across like it's an option, simply *YOU MUST HAVE THIS*. Infact, a friend was buying a laptop from there (amazingly enough decent price, decent spec) and when we went to pay we were handed Norton 360. I figured may aswell take it if it's free, just not install it. They certainly gave us no idea that we had to buy it, just bundled it with the laptop as though it was free. I thought it was a bit fishy so said "and is this free with the machine" "no".

Absolute fucking *****, look forward to them going under.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
lol @ norton.

My Dad wanted a new laptop for my stepmother on the quick so we picked up a compaq, it came with a pre-installed norton trial. When it uninstalled (not even expired I should add) the system was completely unusable, no networking at all, only windows explorer would work. In the end had to go home, burn a removal tool to CD then run it from CD (wouldn't even let me copy it across) to get rid of it. Once that was done, voila perfect working system.

norton = ubershite

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I didn't notice G's comment earlier.

It's always HIGHLY recommended to use the removal tool rather than the uninstaller any time you want to remove Norton. I had a clients laptop with norton and worked out that it was completely fucking up read/write permissions. I uninstalled it and it decided to take the entire documents and settings folder - windows had to recreate it after the reboot and suffice to say, *ALL* the personal data on the laptop was gone.

Fucking shit software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom