printer / AIO device advice

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Teedlemum's printer, an HP B109 all in one device has packed it in and refuses to print black anymore. I've tried everything there is to try and have more or less deciede that the printhead is dead. Teedlemum prints the equiv of about 3000 trees a week so this printer has something like a million miles under it's belt so I am cool with it being broken.

I want to get her a new printer that is decent. With respect to HP kit, that's fine but I hate HP drivers. I absolutely resent being forced to install 500MB worth of shite just so windows can see a printer at the end of a USB cable, and HP loves making me do that. Mum wants me to get her the exact same printer all over again as she knows this one and being a thrifty old biddy still has a print cartridge and doesn't want to lose 20 euros.

Me, I just want to get her a good printer: good quality text, and something that can stand printing thousands and thousands of pages before it dies. So, any advice?

Cheers bluds!

soze

I am a FH squatter
The pages do not really matter you just need to make sure the model you buy accommodates that print count. For 3k a week you will be looking at a fairly expensive office based one.

I like HP printers personally. You can nearly always get Basic Drivers which allow scanning and printing without the full software package. I do not like Brother printers. They print count on the cartridges always under-deliver. Our big printer in the office gets 10000 pages from a 50000 page cartridge if we are lucky. The coverage they base the calculations on must be about 1%. Xerox have horrible customer services. And Dell are expensive for the cartridges. I personally would buy a HP LaserJet printer for your page count.

TdC

Cheers dude, and old BW head on my FB is telling me exactly the same.

Kryten

Old Cow.
HP laser if you can, just be careful of the models around - www.printware.co.uk is a great site for comparing page printing costs. Samsung lasers are ruddy awful, Brothers seem to go for a while but running costs are not good. Xerox are great printers (we used to use Phaser wax ink printers as they are still the lowest running cost by a LONG way) but as said above, they are fuppets to deal with.
Might be worth keeping an eye on the new HP inkjets with the full-width heads, but running costs still aren't quite as low as the lasers. Beware either way, a common marketing trick with HP is that one model (take a 451DW) will be far more costly to run on identical toners as the next model up. Hence why the above site is useful. Don't buy from them as they're ruddy awful though!

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
tbh I've been using a high end Kodak AIO for the last three years, saved me a fortune in comparison to my old HP AIO. if you shop around you can get 1200 page black ink cartridges for less than a tenner. and if they're only printing text it goes a bit further. if no colour whatsoever is needed then laser obviously.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
We deliver to Dutchingtonville and you would of course receive the best of everything inside the printer if I were to be told about your purchase ;) If you email them and mention me (the real me not FH me) you will be sure to get a good discount. I like the (albeit not AIO) HP CLJ 2600 DN (D = Duplex N = Network), they are old now but mega reliable and if the (laser) scanners have been cleaned they are fantastic quality. Also the toners are cheap. It is what I have at home.

Dunno mate, check our site and see if it is any use to you then let me know.

Edit - What a brilliant advertisement for us, the website is barely working :eek:

TdC

We deliver to Dutchingtonville and you would of course receive the best of everything inside the printer if I were to be told about your purchase ;) If you email them and mention me (the real me not FH me) you will be sure to get a good discount. I like the (albeit not AIO) HP CLJ 2600 DN (D = Duplex N = Network), they are old now but mega reliable and if the (laser) scanners have been cleaned they are fantastic quality. Also the toners are cheap. It is what I have at home.

Dunno mate, check our site and see if it is any use to you then let me know.

Edit - What a brilliant advertisement for us, the website is barely working :eek:

your site is barely working! :eek:

also, I think that is a tad much for her, although I may be touting the poor man's paradox here, mum tends to burn through a fairly inexpensive printer in three years, which I personally consider to be a good deal.

Has she tried the HP photosmart C4480?
that looks like the newer version of what she has atm (B109)

TdC

Ok Teedlemum sayeth the following: must have scanner, must have colour and I am not allowed to spend shitloads of cash. After some checking about I am inclined to get her aHP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-In-One. Anyone got reasons why I shouldn't?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

TdC

hmm that one may be better for her actually because it looks like the old one. Teedlemum is almost 80 and is getting a bit finnicky about things like this :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
We have one of those in the office. Other than the odd shade of brown HP have chosen for recent slinkjets, it works well. Very, very, very prone to crashing though. We generally use it for scanning to SD card and printing from iPads/tablets

TdC

I ordered it for mum; hope she doesn't have too many questions regarding it's capabilities due to it being a different colour or something like that 0o

anyway, 104 euros, or about 89 squids.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
TdC said:
I ordered it for mum; hope she doesn't have too many questions regarding it's capabilities due to it being a different colour or something like that 0o

anyway, 104 euros, or about 89 squids.

If you don't swaffle it then she won't ask why her scans are all smudged!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom