Prima strategy guides

T

Teh Fonz!!1

The people who write these books, I'm guessing, have at least played the game a little bit before telling us how to spec our characters.

At least I'm hoping...

Glancing through the "new and improved" guide book for DAoC I noticed the section on Eldritch's.

Now apparantly, I can be a Celt.....strange huh? Well that's not all. If I spec correctly, I, a Celtic Eldritch can also carry a shield!!!

You learn something new everyday don't you.

I don't mind paying for a book like this, even if the content is a little out of date but to have a guide book that makes such blatent mistakes kinda leaves you asking why anyone should part with their cash for such a thing.

F

Flimgoblin

which version is that? :)

the original? or the revised?

I've heard that the original Prima guide could have been written by monkeys with typewriters...

the revised one seems ok..
(then again I've yet to check what spec to go for with Eldritch... maybe shield-spec? ;))

the atlas is the best one so far though.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

It's the new revised version!!

Surely they have people that play the game to read the book first and correct any glaring errors!

N

-Nxs-

I have the original prima guide, purchased in March last year when I started playing, yeah ok so its a little out of date now, but i want to know why my Eldritch cant spec in blades like the book says i can !!!! :wall:

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Teh Fonz!!1
It's the new revised version!!

Surely they have people that play the game to read the book first and correct any glaring errors!

that's bad...

T

Teh Fonz!!1

I actually only got it because it was cheaper to buy the game and guide than just the game on it's own. (Something I still don't understand)

Still, if they can get simple things such as class weapons wrong, imagine the other stuff they've cocked up.

Anyway, my level 28 mentalist is gonna go charm the dragon now, apparantly. :p

A

Arnor

The ones that wrote that guide can see into the future, and Mythic will implement shield and let celts be eldriches ;)

OR they could be:
tard.jpg

W

Whoodoo_RD

Always wondered if it was worth buying, or if the cost outwieghed the amount of ink I use printed the relevant pages from alakazham, catacombs or daatlas. (Now catacombs seems to have lost its map pages tho).

Youve made my mind up, but still, might be a good idea for n00bs. But Ill stick to printing what I need.

Also, I see SI gets a seperate book. Again, back to the web.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

More words of wisdom from Prima.

This is to all you chanters out there.

Apparantly, if you put all your spec points into your pet line you'll have no trouble finding groups. Mana (and the PBAoE) means slow levelling and is unpopular in RvR.

WTF???

P

parisienscot

I actually love my revised Prima guide. 90% of it is very useful but sadly 10% is complete bollox.

Here are a few pearls of wisdom from the latter :

Theurgist - "Air elemental pets are casters, plain and simple"

All pet classes - "Your pet can't go anywhere that a normal player can't go" (Yeah right, they walk right through keep doors!)

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Okay this is priceless...

Bard techniques :

Stay away from negative people.

ADVANCED TECHNIQUES :

As you get older, you'll figure out better techniques.

N

Nightchill

they tell Friars to put points in strength too iirc :\ it helps damage :rolleyes:

O

old.Krusha

I actually only got it because it was cheaper to buy the game and guide than just the game on it's own. (Something I still don't understand)

Reading your quotes, maybe its the only way they can get rid of them :)

N

Nightchill

In it's defence, it's been useful, I've used to glance through specs and for when I can't find a printed map of an area etc. As said up there ^^, it's cheaper with from amazon :)

O

old.Eynar_Vega

Try the Prisma Daoc atlas then...A quote:

Malmohus tips:
Solo leveling tips

38-41 First of, be warned that you're going to have to face off a posse of Svakuld Missionaries. never seen a Svakuld in daoc...

39 What you're looking for is Ice Crags, and you can find them by Vindsaul Faste, by the lake. since when is vindsaul faste located in Malmohus?

40 The wintery dirges are good targets, and so are ice creatures and blocks of ice. There's a safer bone eater oracle camp west of Grallarhorn. so nowadays Mids keep their relic in Malmohus?

V

Vell

Some of my favorite quotes are:

As a thane, you wil be able to take more punishment than anyone else in the group.

And

As a healer, you can never solo, and your usefulness to groups is low at high levels.

Or

As a dwarf Viking, you have no advantages......Your high constitution is a definite advantage.

Huh?

As a skald, you will be the one in your group to reach the target first

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but surely everyone in the group can reach the target at the same time, considering the speed spell is GROUP!

Hunters: Never equip a bow or spear before absolutely necessary in a frontier area....

Oh well, looks like i got some new toilet paper with my second account.

F

Flimgoblin

Why do I get the feeling they only changed some of the tables, added in a map of DF and the original draft of the realm abilities for the "New Edition!"?

sounds like some of that advice is from early beta or something...

(before pbaoe levelling at any rate)

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Warden tip of the day :

This is an advanced technique...

A stealthed archer is visible when he fires; when he nocks his arrow, if he fails his stealth check. Stealth spec % (-20% on Crtical shots) = % chance to stay hidden.

That's an advanced tip for a warden.

S

-Steph-

Now i know why there're running around so many "noobs" in Daoc!

B

boni_ofdavoid

The people who write these books, I'm guessing, have at least played the game a little bit before telling us how to spec our characters.

At least I'm hoping...

Hahah, no they havent.

I know, cause I was lead programmer on an RPG that has a prima guide out there!

They send a bloke round to the developers while the game is still in Alpha/Beta (they need to finish it well before the game ships...) They ask the developers for hints and maps and stuff and just bang it all together. I am almost 100% sure that they have never played themselves and are simply regurgatiting this pre-beta information, usually the experiences of a couple of 14 year old in-house testers from wherever the game was made...

T

tris-

Please post more!

Warden tip of the day :

This is an advanced technique...

A stealthed archer is visible when he fires; when he nocks his arrow, if he fails his stealth check. Stealth spec % (-20% on Crtical shots) = % chance to stay hidden.

That's an advanced tip for a warden.

hahaaha...:clap:

S

Sarnat

Must be as full of crap as their MoO3 stategy guide as it came out 2 months ago and the game isn't even out yet. It was out of date when it came out and now it's even more out of date since the game went trough some changes during last testing phases (which are still going on ffs...)

Users who are viewing this thread