Priests - mana & drinks

Zede

Part of the furniture
My priest is level 49, and im enjoying playing the class :)

My only gripe is the reliance on drinks to keep mana topped up between fights. When ever im grouped in an instance, after a fight im always the one with my mana bar somewhat drained. Ok I pop a drink, but mages get this for "free" and warlocks use the life tap then expect a heal to compensate :)

Ends up costing a considerable amount of gold :(

Im sure i read somewhere that the spirit increase after a kill is being considerably increased in some future patch( which will only help solo xping i guess- but at least its something) - can anyone confirm this and point out where its been stated ?

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
ofc, but one assumes a mage is always in your group, and a mage is never in your group if you are soloing.....................

If you are soloing you have spirit tap, and would would you heal warlocks while soloing? :p

Zede

Part of the furniture
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
If you are soloing you have spirit tap, and would would you heal warlocks while soloing? :p

guys im specifically interested if the spirit tap ability is being increased /changed in a future patch, not inane nitpicking replies....

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
It's not a big deal providing you aren't a crafter. As a miner/gatherer at lvl 48 I have 150+g and no cash worries. Plus with spirit tap 5 and mobs dropping melon drinks etc it's no big deal.

Conserve your mana by using HOTs in groups and not dealing spell damage

Conserve your mana solo by using mana efficient pulling techniques

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Ask a passing mage to make you some water. Most will take the 2 mins out if you ask nice. The others you can add to your "oops. sorry. I didn't see you taking damage" list should you group with them;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Hmm, at 49 you should be able to down 3-4 mobs easily without draining your mana bar fully. Kill, wait out spirit tap, kill, repeat.
Once out of mana, drink moonberry juice WHILE spirit tap is active. This can get you to full mana if you drink with 12-13 seconds of spirit tap. Then just rinse and repeat.

And yeah, as someone else said, trade a Fort buff for some drinks and Arcana Intellect.

:)

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
guys im specifically interested if the spirit tap ability is being increased /changed in a future patch, not inane nitpicking replies....

Ironically, the 'nitpicking replies' might be of more worth than ya think... i think ur issue is you are running out of mana fast, and are having to do a lot of drinking..correct?

I dont think spirit tap increases (unless they are significant! and i kinda doubt it) is the total answer to your problems, sounds more like what Benedictine suggested may be of more help!!!! imo. :touch:

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
hmm what would be a mana effiecent pulling routine?
just wondering.
im a shadow priest and this is my basic 1
in shadowform against a melee mob
mindblast followed by a dot then mind flay to slow the mobs run to me.
vampiric embrace or shield depending on the situation usually.
usually vamp 1st fight shield and vamp 2nd fight
then if i vamp embrace i would usually do another mind blast and dot then use dagger till dot finishe dit off. (the spirit tap usually gets my hps bck anyway faster than my mana) if not i have 2nd fight to get it bck ;)
if i shielded i will usually spam a few mind flays (for 2nd fight if im hurt it is a ncie steady run of hps bck while i goes along with dot imo so can heal quite well before losing shield) then if shield breaks another mind blast or dagger kill.
thats my usual. roughly anyway. each mob takes about hlf my mana i would say and get about a 1/4 of it bck from spirit tap or so so can usually do between 3-5mobs before having to have long down time depending on mobs/lvls.
this is all approximations and not set in clay as it were. but i find it works.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Try not shielding and just using mindblast / wand / staff every 3 mobs Lak, this keeps my mana above half with Spirit Tap, and allows me to keep on going for ages. Works especially well on greens, even if the mobs you're figthing are mostly yellow con.

I also try to walk backwards after my pull with mindblast, so by the time I can cast mindlfay (SWP already cast), the mob isn't already on top of me.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Thank you for your replies but.., im pretty much aware of various techniques to conserve mana, ask mages for pots etc....my statement regarding when I use the pots, was well just a polite introduction really, didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition !

The real question :

Does anyone have any information regarding any future plans to increase the level at which you gain mana back when your spirit tap talent is active, i.e when one has just downed a mob ??

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Nope, they're not touching Spirit Tap afaik, BUT, they are reworking spirit for all classes, so we could end up regen'ing mana permanently, and hopefully a lot more efficiently than we currently are.

anubis

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
ofc, but one assumes a mage is always in your group, and a mage is never in your group if you are soloing.....................
why would you solo as a priest? ^^
i stopped soloing at level 2 or maybe 3 :rolleyes:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
because soloing as a shadow priest is fun?

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
After playing a mage, I could never play another caster class without drinks.. Im a water-o-holic.

But that is the way we get to regen mana. Priests get spirit tap, Warlocks get some sort of drain or something? And there is nothing stopping a priest or warlock from having water too, either bought or conjured. I have a few priests a day ask me for water, most even trade me something in return, cash, item, buffs. But there is nothing stopping you buying it, and if you are a cook and have herbalism, you can MAKE your own water (Goldthorn Tea).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If healing works anything like in DAoC, my advice is: Heal when you have to, not when you're whined to.

I remember playing a healer in DAoC and getting a whole lotta sh*t from not healing people when they lost 20% of their health.

I usually kept people under 50%, keeping my mana up and healing after the battle. It worked, kept the downtime to a minimum and people alive.

That's ofcourse in DAoC and i don't know how it works here. But i guess the "heal when you have to" would work in a group...

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
If healing works anything like in DAoC, my advice is: Heal when you have to, not when you're whined to.

I remember playing a healer in DAoC and getting a whole lotta sh*t from not healing people when they lost 20% of their health.

I usually kept people under 50%, keeping my mana up and healing after the battle. It worked, kept the downtime to a minimum and people alive.

That's ofcourse in DAoC and i don't know how it works here. But i guess the "heal when you have to" would work in a group...

try that aginst the lvl 55 elite dragon in the sunken temple it eats people for like 800 dmg a hit and way more than that when it uses its acidic breath.

tbh i aint put much in spirit tap, i probably will when i respec my talents, but i use the shield before fight, mindblast, dot, mindflay, mind flay, mind blast dead technique... and i often take 2 at a time for the fun of it. i dont find downtime that made with 260 spirit, i can regen to full mana pretty fast without drinking it depends if i wanna relax or if i wanna fast farm.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
If you don't have a mage in your group your mana management becomes a group issue, and if the group you are with is half way decent they will furnish you with any drinkies which they loot.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
a decent mage will always supply all other in the group with water who needs and tanks with food, also if in a group without a rouge i tend to pass alll my drinks to peeps who need them

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
BTW behemoth - it's "rogue" not "rouge", the latter is coloured face powder used by women, you might want to update your sig. ;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:

Same in WoW, you're there to keep the group alive, not keep them at 100% health at all times.

60% is when I start healing, and then it's usually just a renew. I usually never heal people who don't have aggro, unless their health is below 50%.

You're a lot more dependant on your Warriors in this game... if my pet warrior dies, there's *no* way anyone is going to pull any mob off me except another warrior, or a priest spamming heals like a madman. So I keep the warrior alive as my first priority, myself second, and rest of group last.
This only changes when when doing AoE groups, when mages > all.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
Same in WoW, you're there to keep the group alive, not keep them at 100% health at all times.

60% is when I start healing, and then it's usually just a renew. I usually never heal people who don't have aggro, unless their health is below 50%.

You're a lot more dependant on your Warriors in this game... if my pet warrior dies, there's *no* way anyone is going to pull any mob off me except another warrior, or a priest spamming heals like a madman. So I keep the warrior alive as my first priority, myself second, and rest of group last.
This only changes when when doing AoE groups, when mages > all.
<

In AoE groups, do mages often use Flamestrike/blizzard, or do all just use AE ( Arcane Explosion)?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Tasslehoff said:
<

In AoE groups, do mages often use Flamestrike/blizzard, or do all just use AE ( Arcane Explosion)?

Mage I was with just used Arcane Explosion, and the warlock used some sort of ring of fire pbaoe thing.

Though he may have, I was too busy trying to keep them both alive to look at waht they were doing. Burned 4000 mana keeping them alive in one long spam session of flash heals, renews and shields, each fight. they must have been doing something right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom