Presents...

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Anyone else here having problems with *getting* presents? I can´t help but for some reason, I don´t like getting presents. Giving presents is ok, but getting them is not. I always feel uncomfortable when I`m supposed to open my presents. Can´t quite explain why.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have the problem that I don't actually want anything, not that I have everything, just that I have what I need. I would rather people just kept the money.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I see where you're coming from. For me, it's the expectation of the giver that you like what you get, that said I'm easily pleased so it works out in the end. Socks, pants and smellies? Saves me buying them. :D

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
i like to get presents. Dunno why, i just like it.

Maybe cause i know that some people are thinking about me. :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Don't have a prob receiving presents, gotta be honest. I used to feel guilty receiving them from someone who perhaps had to save up to get the money to pay for them, but nothing wrong with feeling humble & extremely grateful that someone cares enough about you to get you something. As you get older, you realise that it really is the thought that counts

Ezteq

Queen of OT
nope not at all...but that's because I am a greedy little bugger hehe :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I agree with Raven here, I got everything I need. And don't really want anything(If there is something else I need, I just buy it myself right away.)

Also I hate opening presents, because I am a guy that very rarely shows any expression at all. And people always think I am dissapointed :(

Last year, my mother gave me and my fiancè 2 pair of quilts and pillows, made of 100% floss(From goose). That is very expensive here in Norway(About 1500Euro for both of them). And mom thought I looked unhappy getting something like this as a present, so she also bought me a xbox360 some days later when the stores opened!

This even tho I was quite happy getting the first gift(Felt so bad afterwards).
And no I am not really this spoiled. She had lots of money last xmas, because she was injured at her job, and finally got her insurance money!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I hate it. In my family all we do is buy from lists we make. Have to buy all this crap I cant afford for people who wouldnt really care if they didnt have it or could just buy it for themselves anyway.

Factor in the nightmare of going christmas shopping, £3 for a role of paper and all the other material crap you end up buying and it makes me a right scrooge.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I have the same problem as Thorwyn, i feel alittle sheepish. I can buy the stuff i need myself and its very rarely that i get something that i dont know i want :)

However, if i buy something for myself (like order some movies or books off amazon) i giggle like a schoolgirl when the parcel arrives in the mail :D

This year i got two vaccum cleaners... i did have one already but its so old they stopped making dustbags for it so its really hard to find refills and the cleaner sucks really bad (no pun intended). First one was from a mate who lives with me and complained loudly at my old cleaner when it was time to tidy up the place for christmas... the other one was from my mom who thougth she had a briliant idea :)
Which she did... just the worst timing :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I also like giving, but don't like receiving. I tell people not to get me birthday presents for example. If I want something, I get it for myself. What you want on xmas and birthdays is for people to be there, not buy you a token gesture.

Megadave: Break the cycle, just refuse. Only spend what you can afford, no one should feel forced to buy.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Anyone else here having problems with *getting* presents? I can´t help but for some reason, I don´t like getting presents. Giving presents is ok, but getting them is not. I always feel uncomfortable when I`m supposed to open my presents. Can´t quite explain why.

My dad is like this , its funny actually he is a very generous guy and gave me a very nice jacket this xmas but when i gave him his invictus dvd and his golfing voucher all he could do was to randomly offer me a belgian chocolate , i think its cute tbh :D He isn't used to me giving him stuff :p

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I hate it. In my family all we do is buy from lists we make. Have to buy all this crap I cant afford for people who wouldnt really care if they didnt have it or could just buy it for themselves anyway.

Factor in the nightmare of going christmas shopping, £3 for a role of paper and all the other material crap you end up buying and it makes me a right scrooge.

Women at work are the worst , you agree to not get presents this year and they do anyway , ffs :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got Peep Show boxed set DVD. Never actually watched it, but I do like Mitchell & Webb. Funny series?

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Women at work are the worst , you agree to not get presents this year and they do anyway , ffs :p

hehe, thought you knew it already :p

When Women says "I don't need any presents" or "We do not have to exchange presents this year".

Usually means

"GET ME A FREAKING PRESENT OR I KICK YOU IN THE NUTS!"

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I love giving stuff, actually I love more thinking about unusual stuff to give people things they won't get from anyone else, that's my fave bit of xmas shopping.

However, this year I am really really overwhelmed because everyone got me the most amazing stuff ever...and I really really love that (but did not expect it at all) hehe

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Honestly I really hate the present aspect of christmas, I prefer just buying people stuff I know they'll like if I see it throughout the year rather than do it on one day where if you don't get something awesome for someone you have to buy some crappy generic thing they'll fake oooh over, /wrists.

That and the fakeness/hypocrisy of it.

I do like the family togetherness and chilled out ness of it all but really the rest of it I really hate.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I also like giving, but don't like receiving

That's not what I've heard. ;)

I'm with Ez, I like giving more than receiving gifts. This year my Bro-in-law bought me and the missus a TV, he's a really generous chap. Makes me feel rubbish tbh :(

Helme

Resident Freddy
I was the same this year, normally I'm at least somewhat excited opening my presents but after opening the 3rd headset it was hard to look happy :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Got my nieces (ages 2 & 4) a load of toys. Seeing their little faces light up was priceless.

Apparently, I played Buckaroo for an hour yesterday so my Mrs reminded me. Don't remember it.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Got my nieces (ages 2 & 4) a load of toys. Seeing their little faces light up was priceless.

Apparently, I played Buckaroo for an hour yesterday so my Mrs reminded me. Don't remember it.
My kids were impressed as well. We had nanny and grandad on Skype so even though they were 400 miles away, they were still a part of it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom