Presents

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I know Christmas is passed and our wallets are still reeling from the spending. Its my Girlfriends 18th birthday in June (i know im starting early) and im wondering what to get her.

I could do with some advice, we have been going out for a year and 3 months. I thought about taking her down to London (however for her 18th she might want something like physical she could hold in her hands (stoppit Wij)) But then i started to think about jewlrey (sp?). I started this early because i could book flights early and have massive discounts.

Ladies and Gentlemen i need your advice, all advice would be good.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Brynn said:
I know Christmas is passed and our wallets are still reeling from the spending. Its my Girlfriends 18th birthday in June (i know im starting early) and im wondering what to get her.

I could do with some advice, we have been going out for a year and 3 months. I thought about taking her down to London (however for her 18th she might want something like physical she could hold in her hands (stoppit Wij)) But then i started to think about jewlrey (sp?). I started this early because i could book flights early and have massive discounts.

Ladies and Gentlemen i need your advice, all advice would be good.

Got an idea of budget? (I know its not polite to ask but there's no point in suggesting diamonds if we're talking student finances).

DaGaffer

What does she like? I know what you mean about 'something physical' (stop it Wij), but memories of a good time can be just as good. Does she like theatre, music, gigs, travel?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Things that look nice. Not into much travelling, or theatre. The only thing i can think of is clothes or jewlery

DaGaffer

If you're thinking of buying her clothes...don't. Better to take her away for the weekend and then buy her something nice when you get there (Selfridges, Harvey Nicks) We pretty much always get it wrong the first half a dozen times we buy clothes for women (I'm convinced this is a universal constant - some men never get it right), so although there's less of a *surprise* thing going on, they'll actually appreciate it more, especially if they get a weekend away as well ;) .

If you really want to buy her a surprise, then jewellery it is. Raid her dressing table, get a feel for the kind of stuff she likes and take it from there. Don't get her any kind of ring (way too soon for that kind of message ;) ) - max 'bang for your buck' will be something that goes around her wrist rather than her neck. Oh, and please avoid Argos at all costs :)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Lol argos....thats where i got her a bracelet that she doesn't wear :p

Might have a rummage thru the sales in jewlrey shops see what i can find :D

babs

Can't get enough of FH
If she's into the whole jewellery thing, something with her birthstone in it shows you put some thought into it. Unless she has a table full of one stone, in which case stick to that.

DaGaffer

Brynn said:
Lol argos....thats where i got her a bracelet that she doesn't wear :p

Might have a rummage thru the sales in jewlrey shops see what i can find :D

Girls (especially 18 year old girls) know the 'Elizabeth Duke' catalogue inside out, and they aren't impressed. Sorry.

You're better off buying second hand (as you suggested) or going to funky market stalls and getting something 'designer-y', so long as it shows a degree of thought on your part you'll be OK (unfortunately you'll have to make the fact that you thought about it fairly obvious, women are funny like that)

Tsjiep

Loyal Freddie
The ultra vibe pleasure 2000

(I'm sure i posted this someplace else... oh well)

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Don't know where you live matey, but near here there is a shop called Past Times... If she's into jewellery, they do all kind of period stuff, as well as a birthstone range that is rather nice, as well as some "antique" looking things that - if they are her cup of tea - she would probably like.

milou

Part of the furniture
Something from Tiff's? clicky

Just an idea and they do package it well (edit: loads of stuff for under 150 squids)

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
When I was a wee lad and me girlfriend at the time just turned 18 I bought her a really nice bracelet and had it engraved with her name and stuff, she really liked it (i think) and it kinda shows shome thought as well...flame away if you think different! :)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Give her a small present, but make it a fun and romantic day for her.
Always works for me. :D

But it really depends on the girl and what see likes....

itcheh

Part of the furniture
milou said:
I was just about to say ... if you're going to do it properly then Tiffany's is the one.

Mind you - you could buy from Tiffs - get the jewelry item in one of their famous blue boxes - take the jewelry item back and keep the box - get something from Argos/HS Samuel and put it in the box - she'll never know the difference :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
itcheh said:
milou said:
I was just about to say ... if you're going to do it properly then Tiffany's is the one.

Mind you - you could buy from Tiffs - get the jewelry item in one of their famous blue boxes - take the jewelry item back and keep the box - get something from Argos/HS Samuel and put it in the box - she'll never know the difference :D

Did you not dodge a round when you were up in dundee? If there was any doubt before there isn't now :p :p

Whipped

Part of the furniture
£150 would get you a very nice pair of diamond earings from Ernest Jones. Obviously, if her ears are not peirced then you'll have to supply said earings with a couple of meat skewers (Stop it Wij!)

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Valentines day coming up in a month too :<

Then shortly after I have my mum's 50th, and my girlfriends 18th on the same day.... oh joy

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
take her away for the weekend. wine and dine, then pop a bottle of champers the instant the clock ticks BD time. then procede to have mad se><or to within an inch of cardiac failure. never fails :)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
take her away for the weekend. wine and dine, then pop a bottle of champers the instant the clock ticks BD time. then procede to have mad se><or to within an inch of cardiac failure. never fails :)
Unless you actually go that extra inch, then your fucked!

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Dump the jewelry idea. Women have jewels enough!! My GF has to take of 7 bloody annoying rings before she is allowed to touch certain parts of me.... ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you should have rings put through those parts just to piss her off ;)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
And learn magic!!! That'd be a great show, Paul Daniels and Debbie Magee eat your heart out.

Kaitlyn

One of Freddy's beloved
As a real life honest to god female (it says so on my birth certificate) there is a new level of hell devoted to men who buy women clothes and jewellery (unless its a engagement or wedding ring...you have your own hell for that). Get her something she will remember for ever and not be able to bruise you with if she ends up throwing it in your face for the comment thingies ex-girlfriends cousin said you might have done last year at that place. I would do the london thing, she can shop there see a show and make all her friends jealous at what a wonderful other half she has who takes her to cool places...unless you already live in london that is...then you're just cheap.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Kaitlyn said:
As a real life honest to god female (it says so on my birth certificate) there is a new level of hell devoted to men who buy women clothes and jewellery (unless its a engagement or wedding ring...you have your own hell for that). Get her something she will remember for ever and not be able to bruise you with if she ends up throwing it in your face for the comment thingies ex-girlfriends cousin said you might have done last year at that place. I would do the london thing, she can shop there see a show and make all her friends jealous at what a wonderful other half she has who takes her to cool places...unless you already live in london that is...then you're just cheap.
All the female friends I have adore being given good jewelery. One got a Tiffany neckalce this xmas and was gloating for ages. My mates (their b/f's) get loads of brownie points for getting it right.

Kaitlyn

One of Freddy's beloved
But its so very,very rare they get it right..if you can then go for it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom