Pre-ordering on Thursday

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, just want some advice on where to head to pre-order the game, i probably won't opt for the CE as i've heard some rumours that there's been issues with it?

So i'll be ordering the standard edition, my first preference would probably be play.com or amazon (prefer play though), anyone had any bad experiences with play and if i order the Standard Edition will i still get access to the open beta? Or is it too late for that?

Sorry if the answers are in other threads, i have been reading them and possibly overlooked it.

Regards

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Open Beta i think was CE only, so you'd only get the headstart. Play haven't been the best at giving us information, but i got my pre-order pack in plenty of time. If your first instinct is to go with them, i don't really have any reason why not to.

Felgar

Loyal Freddie
I just wanted to clear up a few points of confusion about the open beta program in Europe. When the US pre-order program was announced, it was mentioned that the EU program would not include Open Beta access. At that point we hadn't officially unveiled our program, but as we were getting a lot of enquiries about this, we confirmed that this was the case. Since then, some of you have seen the EA Store in Europe and Direct2Drive advertising the pre-order with Open Beta access.

It's important to note that our official announcement regarding the Standard Edition pre-order is coming on Thursday 28th which is when the program launches. At that time we will provide you with all the details of the pre-order package as well as a list of partners. Some of our partners have preempted that announcement which has led to a bit of confusion.

The situation then is basically as follows:
Pre-ordering a standard edition from most of our partners will not automatically give you Open Beta access as we have said previously. We will however be announcing a list of 'preferred partners' who will be selling the pre-order with Open Beta access. A full list of these partners will be included with the main announcement this week, I can confirm that both the EA Store and D2D are preferred partners and so those of you who have already placed an order need not worry that you won't get what you were offered.

Hopefully this will put some minds at rest and, as I have said, all the remaining details will be unveiled this Thursday.

posted by Ian, today.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ok, just want some advice on where to head to pre-order the game, i probably won't opt for the CE as i've heard some rumours that there's been issues with it?

So i'll be ordering the standard edition, my first preference would probably be play.com or amazon (prefer play though), anyone had any bad experiences with play and if i order the Standard Edition will i still get access to the open beta? Or is it too late for that?

Sorry if the answers are in other threads, i have been reading them and possibly overlooked it.

Regards

GAME will probably be a major partner garunteed so you would get a good chance of getting into the OB with them.

Aada

Part of the furniture
they weren't for the CE.

True but still i would bank on them.

That's where i got my preorder anyway :p

But i still got my CE pre-order box incase i don't get an OB code from GAME :)

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
i have already pre-ordered from game.com
the reason i chose them is that they were cheapest, around £25 when i ordered, and the last time i ordered from play.com, the game didnt arrive until 5 days after launch day.

Aada

Part of the furniture
i have already pre-ordered from game.com
the reason i chose them is that they were cheapest, around £25 when i ordered, and the last time i ordered from play.com, the game didnt arrive until 5 days after launch day.

So fucking true lol.

Ordered from play for WoW got it 7 days after release was not a happy bunny at all.

Yeah i ordered from game £25 quid next day i got a email saying it had had gone up to £30 but i stil get it for 25 :)

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Now im confused. According to IainC's post if you order SE from their preferred clients you get OB access. I though SE was just the headstart and OB was for those that pre ordered CE ??

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
The problem is everyone is jumping the gun on the SE pre-order. GOA always planned to announce the EU SE Pre-order program on the 28th August. At that time we will know who the preferred pre-order partners are for the SE and they alone will be the people who give OB keys away with the SE pre-order. Otherwise you are just going to get headstart and in-game bonus keys.

It might be that GAME are a preferred partner but I wouldn't bet on it as GOA had cause to be somewhat pissed at GAME a few years back because of their mishandling of a DAoC expansion. GAME were not the "high street" partner for the CE as Flim says but as always we wait and see...

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The total lack of clear information regarding the entire pre-order situation is very poor. All the information regarding both the CE and SE pre-orders should've been decided on at the same time.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
The total lack of clear information regarding the entire pre-order situation is very poor. All the information regarding both the CE and SE pre-orders should've been decided on at the same time.

This and this many times over. They should have announced both versions at the same time because by not announcing the SE until much later it seemed like CE was the only way to get headstart and open beta. They never said it was but neither did they say it wasn't. Mark Jacobs initially couldn't understand all the fuss but after a couple of days his posts changed to reflect the fact that he'd thought about it a bit and realised exactly why so many people were pissed off. He initally toed the line that Mythic never said open beta / headstart were exclusive to the CE which is true but unfortunately he stopped short (at least where I gave up following the debate) of actually holding his hands up and saying "yeah I see what you mean, we could have done that better".

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
Ok i guess i'll wait for the anouncement on the SE tomorrow.

I guess D2D is one option, not all that fussed about having a box to be honest.

Cheers for the info lads.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
EA Online store is crap, you have to pay to redownload your stuff after a certain time period.

pinkey

Fledgling Freddie
We've pre ordered ours from play.com the standard edition (£29.99) and we get our keys for beta emailed to us tomorrow so we can play beta from the 7th - 14th sept then the game will arrive on the 15th. Just rang them to check and they confirmed this for us.

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
EA Online store is crap, you have to pay to redownload your stuff after a certain time period.

I thought that was a bit crap too. But shouldn't be a problem with WAR, should be able to download it off the GOA site as you already have your account, how it was with DAoC.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
isnt that what dvd burners are for?
ie download install and back up

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie

That's what I though too. :)

Looks like Play.com might well be one the preferred partners that are announced tomorrow then. Wouldn't be surprising as they were same for the CE. Good info bud.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie

Yea in a era with 56k modems, now days you can download a full game in a hour, Steam got it right, your games are tied to your account and you can download them when ever you fancy.

Making you pay to redownloading a purchase you made using digital distribution is a farce.

threeps

Fledgling Freddie
Ordered with GAME coz it was £26 at the time. If they are not a prefered partner then will see if paying a bit more is worth getting the OB and cancel and reorder.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Steam got it right,
i agree there client lets you back up your games ie burn them to a disc :)

my prediction for UK partners will be

D2D
EA store
play.com
ie the one's they have been bouncing about already and the once that have said that will be release the codes tomorrow lol

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
A 9GB file...? Won't even fit on double layer....

blue ray and for those with out, compress and split i have done it both ways and just for games i have a DD image of my raid array in case my system goes funcky i just use netcat and DD and i'm up and running with in 30 mins ie fully working system

Ypnos

Fledgling Freddie
I've tried making an image of my RAID system several times but can't find a program that'll boot up and restore onto a RAID0 setup. What's DD?

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
I've tried making an image of my RAID system several times but can't find a program that'll boot up and restore onto a RAID0 setup. What's DD?
get copy of a linux iso (live dvd FC9 live is one i use or backtarck 3)
Basic concept:

'dd' command can copy any data bit by bit from one location to another location. So a simple command
dd if=<src> of=<dst>
where, <src> and <dst> can be a file, file system partition or whole hard drive so anything which can be read/write in binary form, dd can handle it. dd however is not a network program. In order to support dd with networking feature we use another nice command 'netcat'. netcat can be used to connect any TCP/UDP servers and a very good tool for diagnostics also. A typical netcat can run both into client server mode. such as:

server% nc -l -p 30000 ==> (Listen for port 30000 on <server> )

client% nc <server> 30000 ==> (Connect to <server> at port 30000, ready to communicate)

of to use the same system try
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

its the sort of thing we use for digital forensics on live servers and that we cant do static inspections of. but its also great for creating images and restoring them

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Just order from fileplanet/direct2drive? I did that, ok it wasnt cheap - think it was 33 quid, but i dont care tbh. Then you can preload the game, you get beta access, live headstart, and bonus items - wtf that might be.
No codes yet so far tho, but the tech said they would email such information on the beta release day.
They let you download it as many times as you like, for 6 month.
For backup, well just put it on another partition, yet alone another harddrive..

Here´s a link:..
Direct2Drive: Buy Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning UK (Pre-Order) Download
UK version.. = EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom