WARHAMMER Power of Attourney...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, has anyone got this because one of their 'rents is going do-lally?

I'm concerned my mum's mental health is quickly deteriorating into stupid vulnerability. I'd like to be able to do certain things, like go to her bank and request statements, check where she's been sending money, perhaps even get the bank to put a block on sending money to some places and some people.

Right now she's compus mentus enough to let me and my sister have power of attourney should she so choose. I know there's two types - financial & property and health & care - and it makes sense to do both.

Yes, I'll probably seek proper legal advice (though it looks straightforward enough). Anyone got it? Did you do it through a solicitor or did you arrange it yourself? Is it suitable for the things I'm talking about above? Anything I should be thinking of?

Old stupid people suck balls eh? :(

*Warhammer because that's what I feel like applying to her ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have it (its early so will be a shit reply). We used a solicitor which cost us about a grand. There were things that worried me about doing it myself.

Be sure your mum is sane enough to sign and understand what she is doing though. Get both as well, finance and health. I can give more after caffeine and nicotine :(

Edit - read your post again. Erm mums bank was a cunt they said you needed a higher level of control called, oh fuck, I forget. Anyway what we did was attach an account to mums so we can then go online and control everything. Nat West was mums bank, others may be better but I doubt it, its a legal thing.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My Aunt has just got power of attourney for my Uncle as his mental health is going quickly.
She used a Solicitor and has full control over everything.

I don't know much of the details but it sounded like a lot of things had to be done in a very specific way.
A Solicitor is definitely the way to go as it may seem simple at the start but I don't think it is.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Mrs Yuck has Lasting Power of Attorney for one of her clients. It is essential, for financial control and health issues. That only cost about £400 with the solicitors used though. You "could" fairly easily do it yourself but for peace of mind probably best use a solicitors. It will take about 6 weeks to sort out. The solicitors recommended actually having two people with power. So if Mrs Yuck is away on holiday for example there is still somebody here should a signature be required, so another relative perhaps.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My mum has got me and my bro this for if and when it happens.

Trem

Court of protection @Scouse that's it, the bank said to have complete and utter control and the power to stop mum writing cheques etc we needed to take it to the court of protection, we wanted to do that at the time because she had a debit card and cheque book and was after getting a car *shudder* which would of ended up with people dead, the bank couldn't do anything. So like I said, my wife created an account and because we have (me and her) LPOA they couldn't stop her attaching that to mums bank account and then we had control.

Use a solicitor mate, honestly, theres other things like all the signed copies you will need to send to people (Dr's, bank, utility companies etc) and the solicitor will give you probably about 5 of each (health and finance) and they have to be signed by an official like a solicitor.

We went a fancy place but you can get it done for around the £800 mark I reckon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Court of protection @Scouse
Looks like if you have LPOA then you don't really need to use the court of protection? If the LPOA states that you can access and make financial decisions on the other person's behalf?

Trem

Looks like if you have LPOA then you don't really need to use the court of protection? If the LPOA states that you can access and make financial decisions on the other person's behalf?
Yes it is confusing mate and I know it sounds the same thing and it may not even concern you for what you want but the banks will not let you take overall control without going to court and arguing the case. I was utterly disgusted the solicitor didn't point this out to me as I asked her many times if I would be able to stop mum buying a car. I even refused to leave the bank and rang the solicitor and got them to talk to her and they actually put her right. Then, THEN she told me it would cost about another grand to do the court thing.

sayward

Resident Freddy
My husband and I have enduring Power of Attorney for each other. Even tho we are not ancient. You should all do it.

My mother would not let me set it up as of course she is never going to die. I'm not sure her partner even has it as she hasn't even discussed funerals with him. She was absolutely adamant to not doing anything to make her eventual death any easier for us.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Doing it with my Aunt for my mother now.

(Shit, don't quote that out of context.)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Doing it with my Aunt for my mother now.

***************zzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp*******************

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom