Post WAR

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
I have been thinking the last week, that, after playing WAR i cant help feel more and more attracted by the feeling of booting up my Old DAoC account and start playing that instead of WAR.

i might change my feeling about DAoC when / if i actually get into it again and see how it actually is, since its such a long time i have played it, but leveling by seeing how many mobs you can grind at a time, ahh loved it :)

anywho, anyone else got this feeling ?

/ashy

EDIT : and i guess i just like the RVR in DAoC better then in WAR, or it might be the Classes and the fact that there are 3 Realms =)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Nah, the whole DAoC thing has had its time imo. Great game, yes, but dead to me!

Yma

Fledgling Freddie
Not really ... well, I'd play a true DAoC 2 with the same theme and rules (3 realms, lore etc), probably, but surely not because of the mob grinding - that, I don't miss it, even if it was a very good time for chatting :)

As much as I have great memories about the time spent there, I'd have difficulties to pick which 'daoc 1' I'd play. Was that the OB daoc, pre zerk nerf ? Was the SI daoc with the horse travels taking sometimes half an hour but the SC crafting? Was the ToA that took years to balance but made xping bearable ? Or the nice but useless Catacombs ?

Looking at War now, it's easy to see that DAoC was a lucky strike for Mythic, a poorly implemented low budget project that found the miracle formula and implemented it the best way they could, making gazillion mistakes in the development that sometimes were fixed in the worst possible way but still gave us great fun for years. See it this way: that time is gone, that game is dead, it was fun, it helped creating and perfecting a format that will probably go on for years, today with War, tomorrow with something-else-rvr-based.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
... but leveling by seeing how many mobs you can grind at a time, ahh loved it :)

i guess you haven`t found the way to do proper AE grinding in war then :p

the kind of pulls we did in daoc with an ice wiz, paladin and a cleric can be done in war with a shield tank + healer + BW or sorc.

i`m still looking for something like what i did with a necromancer + friar + cleric though :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Im thinking about checking out DAoC again when they launch the Origins server in the US. Old frontiers with some minor adjustments (some towers will be present i believe), but with the new gfx, all the expansion races but not the expansion classes (except valkyrie for midgard), same number of classes for all realms. No expansion lands (SI lands might be added later).

Sounds very interesting to me.

Afran

Part of the furniture
There are some very good spots for AoE grinding and it feels very similar to DAoC aoe grinding actually, I grinded with Chosen + Shaman, then we tried a few different 3rd spot classes; Marauder, Sorc & Magus, there's an area in Caledor that feels like modernagrav (sp?) aoe'ing ^^

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
There are some very good spots for AoE grinding and it feels very similar to DAoC aoe grinding actually, I grinded with Chosen + Shaman, then we tried a few different 3rd spot classes; Marauder, Sorc & Magus, there's an area in Caledor that feels like modernagrav (sp?) aoe'ing ^^

chosen + zealot + destruction spec sorc in ... a place with loads of dwarves :p ... level 37 to 40 in just short of 5 hours (closed beta).

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Did about half a year on the US Classic servers not so long ago, and it was quite fun, but naturally - a lot of the "memories" of DAoC is the nostalgic factor.
Playing with some great guys while battling hundreds of people in frontier zones over a keep/relic for an entire weekend and so on or "Bloody Bledmeer" - all provided a great deal of fun. And that is where nostalgia comes into play because you want to have it again.
So I'm sure you can have some fun again - I did - but it isn't the same game as it was "back then", least of all not because "back then" is clouded in nostalgia :)

aika

Can't get enough of FH
yeah, WAR casting system if totally retarded - not interupted byt attacks? seriously wtf is that - and dont even get me started on the amount of instant cast spells.

Noskill game so far sadly, but fun!

Toel

Loyal Freddie
Had the same feeling some time back, before WAR was out - so I got myself two new accounts on the US servers and I've not got a 50BM/50Druid that I most likely wont ever play again. But, when the origins is out I'll probably give that a shot.

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
I remember AC. Me on my pala + cleric (FoP ftw) and my wife on her Ice wizzie. The pulls we used to make in a PL grps. I remember a lot of great things about DaoC and have often considered trying to rekindle that fun but I don't think it would work for me. I'm really liking WaR. We have an AoE grinding team of me (Destro spec'd Sorc) a Zealot and a BO. Find the right spot and you can grind for hours just like we used to. To break it up we jump into a scenario when it pops up.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Doesn't it spoil half the point of the game by rushing through it power levelling? If you don't want to PvE then why not level in RvR?

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
rvr leveling is just so nice

I'm taking it way easy towards lvl 40, got a 23 zealot which I done quite some PvE on, and a 22 Marauder which I only done scenarios on from lvl 4

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Doesn't it spoil half the point of the game by rushing through it power levelling? If you don't want to PvE then why not level in RvR?

well, after beta and a level 40 sorc in it i was planning to rush to 40 on release, but hey, i`m just having too much fun with the content and i`m still at level 22 now, lol.

the pq`s, quests and lowby rvr ARE enough fun to take your time really imho.

and there really is no point in being 40 if almost everyone of your guild is lower than level 25.

Coder

Fledgling Freddie
What is the point of the game from your perspective?

Exactly.. i think the "point of the game" to many old Daocers is to get to max level as fast as possible to "go to war" for real in the big boys RvR.

It's not about the journey, it's about the destination :)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Lets be honest with ourselves here, there isn't exactly a whole load of content to miss out on.

I love the game, I think it's better than daoc was and has the potential to have an equal groupvgroup community, but grinding scenarios 3 million times to get a level in tier3 is boring, you can only run the same map, the same rout, the same tactic so many times before you want to gouge your eyes out.

The xp curve on the quests is non-existant. at lvl 10 you're getting pretty much the same xp per quest as you are at lvl 30, and lvl 30 requires 500k+ xp (at 3-5k per quest it takes a liddul while, there is the odd quest with 7/8k).

PQs get dull after tier1, most of them are empty even on KEP at prime time.

The dungeons don't really give XP, but instead are another PQ grind that give some nice items (in the game where items are not all that important).
People know what daoc end-game was like, and are expecting a similar experience from WAR, so the 1-39 is just preperation for rvr ;)

In light of this, I see no problem with rushing to 40, and even if there was some burning hot content that they missed out on, it's not as if they cannot level an alt to go grind gunbad 60 more times.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Not really ... well, I'd play a true DAoC 2 with the same theme and rules (3 realms, lore etc), probably, but surely not because of the mob grinding - that, I don't miss it, even if it was a very good time for chatting :)

i dunno, i kinda liked it when you managed to get a good group of ppl together. i dont think i ever had as much fun as in the early mornings in lets say Malmo before the nerf to those camps :)

just a ton of tired/drunk ppl having fun :)

/edit: unless Sauug was there with one of his alts ofc... >.<

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
I have been thinking the last week, that, after playing WAR i cant help feel more and more attracted by the feeling of booting up my Old DAoC account and start playing that instead of WAR.

i might change my feeling about DAoC when / if i actually get into it again and see how it actually is, since its such a long time i have played it, but leveling by seeing how many mobs you can grind at a time, ahh loved it :)

/ashy

EDIT : and i guess i just like the RVR in DAoC better then in WAR, or it might be the Classes and the fact that there are 3 Realms =)

Sadly yeah - DAoC is dead..

DAoC was the game WAR is trying to be, but fails..

Imho, the RVR in WAR atm is a joke.. Its that simple.

And yeah, 3 closed realms, and 3 open frontiers worked 10 times better then this imo. Ofc i might be supriced to the better at end game in WAR, but for some reason, i dont feel thats gonna happen.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
On a side note: I remember back in DAoC, i had that "special" fealing of being "home", wondering around the closed fields of hibernia. This game seems really chaotic, and i feel it lacks the "realm pride" we had in DAoC, wich made the RVR part all the more fun.
I miss relic raids.. I miss rushing to defend your boarders, becouse otherwhise your honor would be violated, and your relics lost..
I dont recall this game holding anything of matter, in regards to RVR objectives, that dont just reset after a few hourhs.

In DAoC, if you lost your relics, you couldnt just sit down and wait.. (In this game the main city will reset upon being captured, after a while).
This spawned a real fealing of making a difference, defending your realm, or taking your foes relics..

I still have hopes for this game, afterall it isnt nowear near as old as DAoC was in the end. I hope it evolves to something good, but with the split zones i dont see it happening - might be my own lack of imagination. So ill keep grinding to 40, and the endgame - but so far, WAR failed in making me feel "home" in the tiers, and that is a loss. How can you fight for your country if you dont have one?
Just my two cents..

Soazak

Part of the furniture
In DAoC, if you lost your relics, you couldnt just sit down and wait.. (In this game the main city will reset upon being captured, after a while).
This spawned a real fealing of making a difference, defending your realm, or taking your foes relics..

Yes but at the same time that made it hell for just about every server there is, population imbalance ment numbers win relics. Making them even stronger, thus making all the realm hoppers log on that realm contributing to the problem.

In fact, now I actually think about it relics were a shit idea. On merlin mids would hold them for a while, all the rr11/12 vendo/banespike zerkers would come out, and it was a pain in the ass as a typical night would be 10+ different mid groups running around, maybe 2-3 hib groups including my own and the alb zerg (which incorporated their '8v8' groups). Then hibs would eventually get enough ppl on to take the relics, so the tables flip, there are now 10 hib groups out every night, maybe 1 mid pug and a handful of alb camping bold. All the bainshees thinking they are skilled because they can 3shot people etc etc etc

Belsameth

Tainted
We're not 40 either for the most part, so the serious battling for Altdorf and IC hasn't yet started. That might change a lot :)

dee777

Loyal Freddie

It will recapture itself, that is true, however it will lose a couple of levels in the process that will need a few days/weeks to rebuild. If you let the other side ransack your town, you will bear consequences for a good time afterwards.

The fear of losing the guild tavern, the advanced crafting dealer (once he finally works ^^) and other convenience parts should provide a good amount of incentive to help keeping the filthy order scum out of your beautiful capital. You could translate that to realm pride rather well I think.

Memph1s

Fledgling Freddie
Sadly yeah - DAoC is dead..

DAoC was the game WAR is trying to be, but fails..

Imho, the RVR in WAR atm is a joke.. Its that simple.

And yeah, 3 closed realms, and 3 open frontiers worked 10 times better then this imo. Ofc i might be supriced to the better at end game in WAR, but for some reason, i dont feel thats gonna happen.

I totaly agree, Im not sure if WAR was supose to follow up on DAoC or if it wasnt, but in any case it fails, a really bad fail, I started playing WAR in the hopes of a follow up to DAoC, and I guess it's that hope I had that made me quit WAR, done lots of scenario, done keep taking, done PQ farming, done dungeon's, got to max level, the game is not DAoC and will never even get slightly close to it...

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I totaly agree, Im not sure if WAR was supose to follow up on DAoC or if it wasnt, but in any case it fails, a really bad fail, I started playing WAR in the hopes of a follow up to DAoC, and I guess it's that hope I had that made me quit WAR, done lots of scenario, done keep taking, done PQ farming, done dungeon's, got to max level, the game is not DAoC and will never even get slightly close to it...

You were the one who got to 40 in a couple of days yeh?

Soazak

Part of the furniture
make that a couple of weeks ago...

He means, the reason you may not be enjoying it is due to the fact all there is for 40s to really do at the moment is scenario.

The open rvr scene hasn't really kicked off yet as lots of people are still xping

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom