Help Possible monitor fault - thoughts?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I bought an NEC Multisync PA271W in November 2012 from Scan for my photography, but I've noticed in the past couple of days that there's some weird dark "veins" that have appeared in the top right of the screen as follows:

IMG_3012.jpg

I think I've only noticed it now as my wallpaper is bright and these don't show up on bright images, only on darker such as dark grey or dark blue. This is actually better than yesterday.

I've tried the following to rule out other issues:

- different resolutions (marks still in the same place)
- connected my old Dell 24" (no marks present, therefore not cables or graphics card)
- tried cleaning the monitor as they look like dirty marks

Any thoughts? The monitor is not even one year old, so I may just pursue a return / repair from Scan (who seem to pride themselves on excellent customer service these days).

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Have any magnetic sources close by that could be affecting it? I had something similar a while which turned out to be caused by a Bose speaker. Just had to re-position it. Dark spots can also be caused by heat so make sure you don't have a spot light shining on that of the back of it. Can see some bright light behind the monitor. If there is one, remove it and see it goes away - may take a few minutes.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I accidentally whacked mine with a flyswat not long ago (my angle of attack was all wrong), there was a dark line not dissimilar to what you've got but also what look like an actual scratch on the surface. The dark line went away on its own but I had to persevere with those moist wipe things to get the surface good again (it wasn't a scratch after all).

I missed the fly as well. :(

old.user4556

Thanks gents.

Scan got back to me quickly and told me to phone NEC on a number as "that was the fastest way to get a replacement" (even thought I bought it from them and my contract is with the supplier, not NEC....) but NEC were very helpful indeed. I've sent them an email with two pics of the issue and they'll let me know if I have to send it back to be looked at / replaced.

old.user4556

They picked up the email on Thursday morning and shipped a brand new monitor the same day which arrived this morning. What a fucking service from NEC.

old.user4556

Yes, although I've spoken too soon; the replacement appears to suffer from pretty bad image retention which the old one didn't. At this price point, I'll be returning this one as well. A quick google seems to show some Apple IPS based screens are bad for this and also some reports of Dell IPS panels with the same.

old.user4556

So NEC shipped me another (so I had three....) and the brand new one is perfect :). All fixed.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wow, impressive service from NEC! too bad they had the opportunity to show just how smashing their aftercare is though :(

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
You know that if you look too much at certain images on the internet they can effect not only your monitor but also your eyesight ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yeah Edmond was chatting to me about a problem with his monitor, pfff :(

haha.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom