Popups

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Practically every website I now visit has some stupid fucking popup about social media this, or subscribe that, etc. Normally you can click a part of the window they're not taking up and they'll disappear, but sometimes you have to click the X. I'm not talking about the old popups, I'm sure you've seen the sort of thing.

Anyone know of any good ways of getting rid of these fucking things? And yes, I have an adblocker, and no it doesn't get rid of them.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Try installing the Ghostery add-on into your usual browser. It has extra blocks for most social media tracking along with various other things.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anyone know of any good ways of getting rid of these fucking things? And yes, I have an adblocker, and no it doesn't get rid of them.
Don't get them at all apart from on dodgy football sites that I have to disable adblock plus on temporarily. Running FF.

What browz0r? :)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Practically every website I now visit has some stupid fucking popup about social media this, or subscribe that, etc. Normally you can click a part of the window they're not taking up and they'll disappear, but sometimes you have to click the X. I'm not talking about the old popups, I'm sure you've seen the sort of thing.

All right now, time to school the old man.

The old man needs to visit the extensions library of its browser and install "ublock origins" extension. But before the old man does that, he needs to disable whatever shitty other adblock extension he uses.

Once the old man has updated the above extension's filters, the old man should no longer experience the annoying phenomenon.

The old man now says thanks.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ghostery or Ublock Origin for me.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All right now, time to school the old man.

The old man needs to visit the extensions library of its browser and install "ublock origins" extension. But before the old man does that, he needs to disable whatever shitty other adblock extension he uses.

Once the old man has updated the above extension's filters, the old man should no longer experience the annoying phenomenon.

The old man now says thanks.

The old man already uses Ublock Origins and has done for months. Unfortunately, Ublock Origins doesn't stop the shitty "subscribe now", or "click like on Facebook" shitty popups that now appear on many sites.

Also, while I'm at it, I fucking loathe websites that have little boxes that slide in from the bottom right when you're scrolling down. Just fuck the hell off and stop trying to gain my attention.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I think f*ck overlays might help you then @Tom. It won't stop them from appearing, but it will help you get rid of them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Never get any of it with AB+ and FF.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This is the shit I'm talking about:

cunting popup.jpg

Seriously, just fuckoff and die. I hate it. I didn't click anything and BANG, up it pops.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Business in trying to make money shock. Film at 11.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I use AdBlockPlus and NoScript in Firefox and I have never noticed a problem with popups like that. Or in Safari using ABP.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Why the fuck do businesses have the right to pop stuff right up in our faces and consume our bandwidth and time? What next? HUD adverts in the car as you are most of the time looking forward. Fuck em. Adverts are a fucking stain on humanity. I never watch live tv all because of adverts, I am happy to pay for stuff to be advert free but alas that is not an option on most stuff these days.

I run 3 addons in my browsers to block ads/popups and also my home firewall has DNSBL running and squid proxy filter set to block ad domains. The following image is just for DNSBL in just over a week of home use across a laptop, desktop and phone:

upload_2016-2-23_17-37-16.png

Bottom line is this, when I want something I will go out and research and then decide to buy it. Do not need some business trying to influence me.

DaGaffer

I am happy to pay for stuff to be advert free but alas that is not an option on most stuff these days.

Which makes you the exception rather than the rule. Unfortunately most people want no ads and not to pay for stuff.

Now, despite being an advertiser, I entirely agree that publishers are their own worst enemy have effectively created the adblocking industry. The end game of which is now that telcos are about to start blocking ads at the network level:

Three will start blocking adverts at network level (Wired UK)

However, in Tom's example of Amazon, I actually take issue with his point of view; its their site, so if you don't like it, you can always fuck off elsewhere, you don't have a "right" not to see popups on a provider's own site.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Tbh just disable javascript and surf ala 90's, if it needs javashite to run, you're better off without it.
Minimilise your life and set your mind free.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which makes you the exception rather than the rule. Unfortunately most people want no ads and not to pay for stuff.

Now, despite being an advertiser, I entirely agree that publishers are their own worst enemy have effectively created the adblocking industry. The end game of which is now that telcos are about to start blocking ads at the network level:

Three will start blocking adverts at network level (Wired UK)

However, in Tom's example of Amazon, I actually take issue with his point of view; its their site, so if you don't like it, you can always fuck off elsewhere, you don't have a "right" not to see popups on a provider's own site.
So why can't sites offer you a popup at first time visit, "Do you mind if we pop up shit in front of you?". Make your choice and then move forward. I've never had a popup on Amazon despite visiting it most days but am not sure if that is down to my software/fw I use.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Clacton and Fronton Gazette webpage blocks 27 adverts on one of it's news stories. I actually refuse to browse the web one my phone or tablet as if I can't have adblocker I do not want to know. And fuck websites that get round it. If I want to watch a 10 second funny video I do not want to sit through 20 seconds of adverts. I stopped growing the chive because they refuse to offer a paid for application with no adverts. They make far to much pushing multiple ads down your neck with every page.

DaGaffer

So why can't sites offer you a popup at first time visit, "Do you mind if we pop up shit in front of you?". Make your choice and then move forward. I've never had a popup on Amazon despite visiting it most days but am not sure if that is down to my software/fw I use.

You have a choice, use Amazon or don't use it. As it happens I've never had an Amazon popup on co.uk but I have on .com

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I don't mind ads as long as they are at the bottom, top or side of the page of the website and are non intrusive. Pop up ads or ads that open a new tab in your browser can just fuck off.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You have a choice, use Amazon or don't use it. As it happens I've never had an Amazon popup on co.uk but I have on .com
Correct, but so far nothing has happened on Amazon for be to block them but as I said, I don't see adverts and any site which pops up a "You are running an ad blocker" notice I simply delete and google for another site with the same content I want. Not my loss, apart from about 5 seconds, they potentially lost a sale worth hundreds.

DaGaffer

Correct, but so far nothing has happened on Amazon for be to block them but as I said, I don't see adverts and any site which pops up a "You are running an ad blocker" notice I simply delete and google for another site with the same content I want. Not my loss, apart from about 5 seconds, they potentially lost a sale worth hundreds.

...which is their choice, and Amazon aren't known for making bad commercial decisions

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
...which is their choice, and Amazon aren't known for making bad commercial decisions
Who gives a fuck. It's still annoying - which is the point.

And sure, we could move somewhere else, but if amazon are doing it then soon pretty much everyone will be - and we'll be back to where we started - needing a new type of adblock software.

old.Osy

This is the shit I'm talking about:

View attachment 31712

Seriously, just fuckoff and die. I hate it. I didn't click anything and BANG, up it pops.

The old man needs to learn to use ublock origins. The old man is mistaken to think having an umbrella doesn't get you wet. The old man needs to operate the umbrella too.

The old man needs to click the icon of ublock origins when presented with such a case. Then the old man would press "element picker" as presented in the image below, and highlight the unwanted element in the page, thus being presented with the desired option to block that element.

upload_2016-2-23_22-13-7.png

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The old man doesn't want to block elements on every random page. The old man just wants something to do it for him, because otherwise adblockers are useless.

old.Osy

I know what you mean, but to me the rate of occurences is so low, that i would not even bother manually blocking that element.

Generally, if a website has that kind of aggresive pop-ups that bypass ublock or whatever common adblock people use, they do not deserve my visit and therefore i shan't be returning.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Bollocks.

Its like telling a pushy salesman to fuck off then going and finding what you want and buying it.

It's my browser, on my PC or phone, I have the right to block whatever I want to. Ads, pop ups, suggestions etc can all get in the sea. Even more so on a mobile device where data usage becomes an issue.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's my browser, on my PC or phone, I have the right to block whatever I want to. Ads, pop ups, suggestions etc can all get in the sea.
I agree that you have the right to try - but when you go to a website you're effectively rocking up to a shop front and they've a right to try and get you to buy shit.

I think with FF and AB+ I see so very little I can't get bothered about it any more - but when I use my families' PC's I absolutely detest it.

Users who are viewing this thread