Population predictions

GReaper

Part of the furniture
With the new classic servers being launched this week (hopefully), what will happen with the population of existing servers? How many players will play classic?

Prydwen and Excalibur have a combined total of about 2,100 peak players. If the estimates from US servers are similar to what will happen to EU servers, between half and a third of players from each server will go to classic. Although the amount of players has been slowly increasing on the majority of normal US servers, it has never returned to pre-classic numbers. I'd say we'll end up with between 1,200 and 1,300 players left, which would reduce the clusters population to that of the Excalibur server on its own at the moment.

French servers peak up to about 5,000 in total (estimated). A total of about 7,000 players on the French and English servers combined. If my estimates are right then there might be between 2,000 and 2,500 players going classic, although its possible French players could try Salisbury instead of Glastonbury.

What will happen? We'll have to wait and see! :)

Disclaimer: My predictions may be horribly wrong, I reserve the right to blame Derric if they are!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i think we will see a masive drop for the first week then after that players will start to filter back. i also think that the clascic servers are another nail in the coffin for daoc. how many will leave pryd/exc for classic, find its not what they are looking for and just quit fully?

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Most people seem to believe that classic will be like the "good old days", which is not. I'd write more about the sociological phonomenon of idealising the past, but I can't spend that much time :p

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
There will be lots of players the first month on classic until the first gankgroups are made by a minoroty of players with lots of time to play and the majority realise that they have no decent templates, groups or buffs and will probably not get that either for a long time.... and are farmed nonstop by those first gankgroups. many players will also realise that their plans of a working group or guild didnt work out that well they hoped. specially when closing in on level 50. after that turningpoint some players will start return to old servers and some will quit or take a break from daoc.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I don't reckon the drops will be nearly as big as the US, especially on UK servers, as many people have already tried them on US.

I reckon more will treat them as a third english server (alt realm) than a main server.

Darzil

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Theres at least 20 french guilds moving to Glast...
So i think alot of the population will be french people :(

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Gear said:
Most people seem to believe that classic will be like the "good old days", which is not. I'd write more about the sociological phonomenon of idealising the past, but I can't spend that much time :p
I disagree, most people I know aren't dumb enough to forget being stuck at their portal keep because realmx was camping their milegate, or all the quad-hitting savages who were practically unslammable with their 360 degree evade, or the generic SC template where everyone can cap every vital stat and so the only difference is what race they chose.

I'd say MOST people, don't give a rats ass about that. They're just giving it a go because its new and it will be fun for a while, regardless of whether it stays popular or not. Plus most of us only have access to 2 realms at the moment so we want to try the third.

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
they will move becuase most ppl didetn even like ToA when that came...and since this server has no ToA the oldies will come back knowing that they don´t have to face any mls/artis to level

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
next 6 months gonna be very fun in classic for sure , thats a fact

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
lamorak lasted 2 months, people said it would last for a year, thats a fact :eek:

no /level and 7 day free level timer, pff, should be 2 days or so instead tbh :)

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
Disclaimer: My predictions may be horribly wrong, I reserve the right to blame Derric if they are!

NOOOOOO, leave Derric alone, you... you!

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Let me be the first in this thread to say:

dooo0000oooo0000m dooo0o0o0o0000oooom

oh and

DOOM!

Henrock

Fledgling Freddie
I believe classic is gonna be popular for about 2 months or until 1.81 hits EU, whatever comes first. :p

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
well, a m8 of mine plays american classic full time, and he said that it will be a phase for most, it will not be wat they are thinking of !
ofc, i know this also, so it will be just another alt server i can jump to if bored..camlann being the 1st atm..gogo levi :p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
(invisibletank) said:
well, a m8 of mine plays american classic full time, and he said that it will be a phase for most, it will not be wat they are thinking of !
ofc, i know this also, so it will be just another alt server i can jump to if bored..camlann being the 1st atm..gogo levi :p

Blablabla, everyone with a little sense in their brains knows that it was better before they introduced artifacts and masterlevels. And this server being without it, its like playing on an old server, but with NF, catacombs and such.

So i wont see why this shouldnt be the main server for some to play. Or your m8 must be an american, whic would then speak for itself.

mordsythe

Fledgling Freddie
tbh i know i will play classic server till DR is released over here.. want to see what its like to be an OP Hippy noob Bainshee for a spell.. been plying DR in USA and it ROX TBH!!!!

GReaper

Part of the furniture
rampant said:
wrong forum???

Please explain how population predictions regarding all EU DAoC servers is in the wrong forum. I'm most confused! :p

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Gear said:

:cheers:

My thoughts precisely. A lot of people are in for a nasty surprise when they realise the "classic" servers are nothing more than the Emperor's new clothes...

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
:cheers:

My thoughts precisely. A lot of people are in for a nasty surprise when they realise the "classic" servers are nothing more than the Emperor's new clothes...

Not really. The majority of people that "hark back to the good old days" aren't doing that at all, like me. I want to try something new, and I don't want to have to ToA all my chars to do it - tho ToA isn't the main reason for me and I'm sure it's not for many people.

But having said that, I remember us getting soundly thrashed by Dem Hibbies for hours on end at MMG and we still thought it was more fun than the current RvR is. So I can see it being more like that again for most peeps.

I also don't think Pry/Exc have anything to worry about population wise. Personally, I think it'll be better dropping the population down by 25% since NF is just too zergy in the big raids now! :mad:

And yeah, it's been said the third server will be an alt server for a lot of people, and I think that's right on the money.:)

Finally, the "nail in the coffin since most people will realise its not what they're after then finally quit" comment COULD hold some weight - but think about it though mates - if this wasn't offered as an option how many of us would have decided over the last few months to just quit totally, and never even pop over to Exc/Pry again like we will be doing? Have to say, if this new feeding ground hadn't arisen I'd probably have finally, finally jacked DAoC in.

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
The thing i really, really like about classic servers (And i have a 50 merc on lamorak so i know what i'm talking about, don't give me any "It won't turn out as you think!!1!1!111!!!") Is that you once again are forced to group up with other people.

No more armies of "soloing" sm's/sorc's/hib counterpart whatever it is due to no bb's, and ppl won't use di bots on stick either since it's just double the rp for all the fg's running about.

It's more back to the way (imo) the game was intended to be played. Together with other players.

mordsythe

Fledgling Freddie
was on last night at approx 8-9pm and OMFG!!!! ova 3k peeps on.. ive never seen so many low lvl chars in my life

and i cudnt believe my eyes when low and behold i saw peeps dragging a bot around with them.. they trying to kill the game already?

but tbh.. i think that now there is no op toa shite here we will all b a lot happier..

......now is our time.. we are the new generation

Olgaline

FH is my second home
well, if last night, the opening night of the classic server will be anythign to go by, it wont affect pryd/excal rvr all that much tbh...we were out in a grp and there were quite a few other grp's out albs,hibs,mids..fighting around bold, so tbh atm i'm not all that worried, the only thing i think will suffer for me personally is my hib playing time "for now" ;)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Well, me and Koun logged on classic to reserve names etc, done some xp-ing and had some low level fun on alb, but I don't really see me staying there. 1.81 will be too sweet to ignore on normal servers really.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:
Not really. The majority of people that "hark back to the good old days" aren't doing that at all, like me. I want to try something new, and I don't want to have to ToA all my chars to do it - tho ToA isn't the main reason for me and I'm sure it's not for many people.

But having said that, I remember us getting soundly thrashed by Dem Hibbies for hours on end at MMG and we still thought it was more fun than the current RvR is. So I can see it being more like that again for most peeps.

I also don't think Pry/Exc have anything to worry about population wise. Personally, I think it'll be better dropping the population down by 25% since NF is just too zergy in the big raids now! :mad:

And yeah, it's been said the third server will be an alt server for a lot of people, and I think that's right on the money.:)

Finally, the "nail in the coffin since most people will realise its not what they're after then finally quit" comment COULD hold some weight - but think about it though mates - if this wasn't offered as an option how many of us would have decided over the last few months to just quit totally, and never even pop over to Exc/Pry again like we will be doing? Have to say, if this new feeding ground hadn't arisen I'd probably have finally, finally jacked DAoC in.

Nice sig.... totally stupid though :<

Zede

Part of the furniture
Cirandi said:
The thing i really, really like about classic servers (And i have a 50 merc on lamorak so i know what i'm talking about, don't give me any "It won't turn out as you think!!1!1!111!!!") Is that you once again are forced to group up with other people.

No more armies of "soloing" sm's/sorc's/hib counterpart whatever it is due to no bb's, and ppl won't use di bots on stick either since it's just double the rp for all the fg's running about.

It's more back to the way (imo) the game was intended to be played. Together with other players.

a sorc/sm what ever with bb on stick has a greater chance of getting rp's on Glast, as you said - no stealthers - he she can just add on fights and leech away. Instead you will just the small army of Vamps, Warlocks - soloers will just chose them classes instead. Same shit, different arse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom