Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

You didn't scroll down.

1668787766416.png

The only reason one would pay duty is if the importer was incompetent enough to not get the country of origin sorted, so for example import from China, into the EU then into the UK. If it originated in the EU (as in built there) then it's origin is the EU and zero duty.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Also, @Tom, thinking about it, your guy might have misaccounted for the VAT, thinking it was Duty. He can claim that through his VAT return. If it was VAT then he should have passed that cost onto you, which would also go through his return. So you got a good deal there. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about VAT.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Im joining this bandwagon i also did not scroll down

What happens if someone actually importing and not just killing time to stir shit on FH charges the duty and tries to pay it? Does UK.gov say "no we dont want it" or do they just take it?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Im joining this bandwagon i also did not scroll down

What happens if someone actually importing and not just killing time to stir shit on FH charges the duty and tries to pay it? Does UK.gov say "no we dont want it" or do they just take it?

It doesn't work like that. If you haven't paid the duty (if there is any) the goods cannot be delivered. If it's a trailer, then it pretty much stays at the docks until you do, which adds extra costs. You can't just pay gov.uk random amounts of money, thinking it is duty. It varies with couriers though, UPS will import the goods, stick them on a van, drive them about, attempt to deliver, find the duty hasn't been paid, then issue an invoice, which has to be paid before delivery, except half the time they skip the issue an invoice bit and just return the goods claiming "fees unpaid" this is the case for any delivery, from any country, proper useless.

Edit, I am sure there are plenty of dodgy firms that charge customers "duty" when there isn't any.

Last edited:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
It doesn't work like that. If you haven't paid the duty (if there is any) the goods cannot be delivered. If it's a trailer, then it pretty much stays at the docks until you do, which adds extra costs.

What if, like us above, the person isnt scrolling down and they pay duty they arent supposed to?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What if, like us above, the person isnt scrolling down and they pay duty they arent supposed to?

There is no mechanism to pay duty that isn't due. I mean, sure, you could get hold of their bank account and send random amounts of money if you like.

Edit, and I imagine there is a fair amount of straight-up fraud, firms charging customers for duty when there wasn't any.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Also, @Tom, thinking about it, your guy might have misaccounted for the VAT, thinking it was Duty. He can claim that through his VAT return. If it was VAT then he should have passed that cost onto you, which would also go through his return. So you got a good deal there. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about VAT.

I'm VAT registered and the bike is primarily for commuting so I've reclaimed that.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

LSE remoaners I guess?

A week, a month, a year? (it's a year, usual ambiguous clickbait headline) Not a lot really...and I would love to know how they separated that from all the other things that affect inflation, and arrived at that figure.

The report also notes that the situation has boosted domestic firms because of less competition...but gives no data or figures...obvs.

Edit, we, nor anyone else, should be importing food anyway, not if we/they can produce it at home.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A week, a month, a year? (it's a year, usual ambiguous clickbait headline) Not a lot really...and I would love to know how they separated that from all the other things that affect inflation, and arrived at that figure.

The report also notes that the situation has boosted domestic firms because of less competition...but gives no data or figures...obvs.

Edit, we, nor anyone else, should be importing food anyway, not if we/they can produce it at home.

Cheap food comes from abroad. It's a nice aspiration to buy domestic food, for environmental reasons if nothing else, but cheap imported food is vital to millions of people.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Cheap food comes from abroad. It's a nice aspiration to buy domestic food, for environmental reasons if nothing else, but cheap imported food is vital to millions of people.

It's only cheap because of broken employment laws, equalling a dirt cheap, abused labour force. If everyone paid a fair wage instead of chasing infinite growth, labour costs and their added cost to the end product, wouldn't be an issue. Inflation, as in prices would likely rise, as would wage, in parity. Profit margins would not increase, but would still be profits. Real competition, the best product makes the most profit (not necessarily margin), not the cheapest produced shit product.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's only cheap because of broken employment laws, equalling a dirt cheap, abused labour force. If everyone paid a fair wage instead of chasing infinite growth, labour costs and their added cost to the end product, wouldn't be an issue. Inflation, as in prices would likely rise, as would wage, in parity. Profit margins would not increase, but would still be profits. Real competition, the best product makes the most profit (not necessarily margin), not the cheapest produced shit product.

Massive oversimplification.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Massive oversimplification.

ofc it is, it's a paragraph, but the point stands. The reason food is cheap is that the people that get it off the plant/dig it out of the ground/kill it, are paid next to nothing. We can keep pretending that isn't the case, but it is. You aren't going to get cheap veg without (far) less than minimum wage.

...and if you pay the pickers a real wage, you have to increase the cost to the consumer, so the consumer demands more wages, which has to come out of profit margins.

Sure, you could write a wall of text, saying the same thing, if you want...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
ofc it is, it's a paragraph, but the point stands. The reason food is cheap is that the people that get it off the plant/dig it out of the ground/kill it, are paid next to nothing. We can keep pretending that isn't the case, but it is. You aren't going to get cheap veg without (far) less than minimum wage.

...and if you pay the pickers a real wage, you have to increase the cost to the consumer, so the consumer demands more wages, which has to come out of profit margins.

Sure, you could write a wall of text, saying the same thing, if you want...

But everyone knows it won't come out of profits? Besides, aren't profits for food like pretty thin already?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

HRW had identified a “worrying trend” by the UK government of proposing laws that violate human rights and significantly weaken protections. “When you talk about civic space and about people’s right to participate in a democratic society, the right to peaceful assembly and the right to protest are key pillars of that. We’ve seen an outright assault from this government on that.

Yay for the brexiteers and bill-of-rights-ers.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

UK the only major economy to shrink this year. The only one. - including sanction-hit Russia.

So then, Brexiteers, comment?

It's doing a great job of showing the rest of Europe what happens when you leave Europe isn't it?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yay! Brexiteers!

Shit flowing into England's rivers? Sewage companies never receiving fines for breaking the law?

Thanks to leaving the EU we are now removing the requirement for annual water quality testing as part of our "we can improve standards" and "definitely not a race to the bottom" now we're out of the EU!

Any Brexiteer actually going to apologise for helping government enable companies to literally cover us in shit? It's not like you weren't warned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom