Police Violence

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Huntingtons said:
what do the rest of the nerd community think of this subject?

nerd community?

Think you got the wrong place mate, just hard nuts, philosophers and power gamers posting here! :p

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Police violence is alot more common than people are lead to believe... even in england. Been told about alot of stories second hand, where people have been beaten up in the back of a meat wagon, usually they get away with it because the victim has no evidence, and courts will beleive coppers over people.

But on the odd occasion when the victim has evidence, the police will pay them nicely off to keep it quiet. I've been threatend with "a good shoeing" in the back of a van before.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
The song on that vid is pretty ace, what is it?
I think they should allow police to be violent to a certain degree, alot of that video was very extreme and maybe uncalled for, it was probably a horribly biased video if it was made by amnesty international.
But I think if there are some chavs going around a neighbourhood late at night causing bother then the police come to move them on and they give them lip or whatever then the police should be able to twat them about abit, its the only thing that will get through to the thick shits, most of the time.
Chavs and such need to learn some respect, and if they know that a copper would smack them with a truncheon and not think twice about it and is allowed to do so, they will learn fast. Be it the hard way or the sensible way.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Police Violence occurs when it needs to occur.

Although if most of the officers are like my father, who craves hurting and showing his power over people, then the world is in for d00m.

d00m!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
philosophizes: is it better for a populace to live in fear or contempt of authority? o_O

noblok

Part of the furniture
I believe police violence is wrong, like any violence. It is even more wrong because they also abuse the authority give to them by the community.

I don't think there's anything you can do about this as long as police officers are humans though. You can try to limit excesses like these by psychological testing, reducing work-stress etc, but I don't think you can eliminate them completely.

Random thought which just occured to me:
Isn't there something odd about the fact that a law has to be enforced? After all, if the law really were the opinion of the people they would all follow it naturally.

Will think some more about this tomorrow, so I don't know yet whether I support this statement or not :).

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
Poor video, all of the clips were during riots.. the police are being attacked with stones/other crap.. imo it's possible to leave the area.. if you stick around it's gonna be very difficult to determine whether you're an enemy or a civillian - they're a bit harsh though, but their life is at risk!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Dunno about police violence but some years ago 3 of my friends were sat in a car in a car park down by teh Welsh seaside - and they were ~ahem~ skinning up a joint when they saw a cop car pull into the car park - so they hid the 1/2 rolled joint, some fags, some skins and about a quarter of resin I think it was - all under the front car mats. The cops pulled up, asked for them to get outta the car and asked what they were doing etc. Whilst one of them was questioning them the other cop searched the car then came back, said ok lads be on ya way, and then they left. Now my mates were well chuffed having got away with a potentially bustable situation (this was back in teh day when a QT could still get you some serious hassle). They decided best to move spots so drove off to another quiet place they knew, went and lifted up the car mats, and everything - including the 1/2 rolled joint...were all gone.

Now how do you report a cop for stealing your illegal drugs....

Still makes me chuckle when they moan about that - best that happened I guess tho than get a bust on ya record....

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I think like most things you truely can't generalise and say its 100% wrong, i dont like seeing people suffering and i know that unnecessasary police force is used at times, you give any amount of people power and some of them are bound to abuse it but sometimes videos like this make me really angry.

1st all we see is the police beating a bunch of "innocent" people, now i admit that sometimes they do this, you'll get a crowd protesting about soemthing relatively peacefully and BAM the policeare in there and kicking any arse they come across, however sometimes the protesters start it by attacking the police (yes yes they are in riot gear but it doesnt really help when you got someone lobbing half bricks and molotov cocktails at you) videos like this one just make everyone think the police are all a bunch of power mad sadists (im not saying some arnt im saying they arnt all).

Not sure how many of you remember the poll tax riots here in the UK but we were shown footage of the police brutality that occured during that and tbh what a load of propoganda! the rioters attacked the police, there were mounted police and they threw potatoes studded with nails under the horses hooves but this never got reported, it was just another case of "the poor down trodden under dog being brought down by the man again"

For me the question of "should police be allowed to use force" is unanswerable because there are so many situations where it can either stop a bad thing getting worse or on the other side of the coin it can make a bad thing worse.

I just wish people would think before they acted, once you do something you cant undo it. If people realised that if they all went about things properly they'd actually come out better then the world would be a nicer place but as the saying goes "bastards always end up on top".

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Problem with these kind of video's is you don't get to see what happend prior to these incidents.
That doesn't of course justify the fact that they beat some people near or half to death.
And Police in those kind of Countries ain't exactly known for being polite and friendly and if you know that then it's, like someone already mentioned, rather stupid to stick around in a riot situation because you will know such a thing will happen of course once again that doesn't justify the actions of what the Police did.

Mey

Part of the furniture
In my opinon some of those shield hits looked abit uncalled for, but some of the scum that we currenlty have in the uk deserve and good kicking.

"philosophizes: is it better for a populace to live in fear or contempt of authority? o_O"

Better to live in fear, tis the only way they will have control.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
When you give an individual, with the will or lack of humanity to hurt, the power to cause physical harm with no reprocussion, you are inviting in pain and abuse.

As long as the riot police are not replaced by some funked up robos, there's gonna be feelings heated, people beaten without reason or by misunderstanding and overall excess violence.

Live with it or get off the f*cking planet.

*shrugs*

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
When you give an individual, with the will or lack of humanity to hurt, the power to cause physical harm with no reprocussion, you are inviting in pain and abuse.

As long as the riot police are not replaced by some funked up robos, there's gonna be feelings heated, people beaten without reason or by misunderstanding and overall excess violence.

Live with it or get off the f*cking planet.

*shrugs*

Yeh but using robots would prolly be a bad idea cuz i couldnt care a rats ass if i destroyed a robot.. but slapping a person in the face let alone throwing bricks at them, not even talking about police horses they hurt :( is something totally different.
Imo if there is a riot u better get the fvck out of there else u are asking for it..

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
true about the vid is that it doesnt show what went on before the police attacked. must have been serious couse why else would u need soo meny riot police officers.
ofc when u edit the vid like that u make the police the bad guys there...

ofc theres police violence... cant deny it. couse i have seen it. gladly it hasnt happenedd to me yet, and hopefully never will.

when theres a riot, there allmost allways ppl throwing stuff at the police... and they are ofc ppl allso, so they get pissed.... but ur self into that situation where ppl are throwing bricks at u... wouldnt u be pissed and kick theyr fucking ass and return the favor.
it is very situational at the end of the day.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
i actually think it's fine, all those ASBO kids could use a good hiding >.>

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
watch a film called "made in britain". its youths like the one portrayed that deserve it. i think police violence is needed when its needed.

noticed amnesty international snuck in there. the whole thing is probably biased beyond belief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom