Plz watch your language..

O

old.Unandra

I was listening to Prydwen Invaders guildchat this morning..:eek:
Think some people should learn to think before they speak.

"The ppl in xxx guild are gays"...!!????

There are 1000 of ppl playing this game and i´m sure some of the boys play daoc is gay..and so f**** what!!?

If that language is allowed, (witch it is NOT) ppl can begin free to say all kinds of bad words..

Grow up...:twak:

L

lofff

why dont u grow up and ignore urself that kind of crap?

most ppl using that kind of language (which i use many times too) are kidding/bitching, and since its a game ur able to kid or enjoy it.

*Edited by Damini - stop the excessive swearing.*

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by lofff

most ppl using that kind of language (which i use many times too) are kidding/bitching, and since its a game ur able to kid or enjoy it.

So if I were to start using the word 'black' as an insult or something similar you'd not be offended? you'd not find it that little bit off? You'd not call me a racist?

Or hey, lets be Masogynistic, or sexist and call someone a 'woman' when they're bindstone-killing.

It's exactly the same thing.

R

Ryu_Murasame

Not meaning to jump on the bandwagon here but,

There are many different things that you have to take into consideration here:

The person using the offending words may not be native english, and so their grasp of english may be rudimentary at best. I know from meeting many different people from many different countries, that swearing is one of the first things that anyone learning english picks up. So, there is that to consider.

Another point is that you were listening to some sort of guild chat (or at least I assume so from your post) which is slightly more select than shouting or broadcasting. I swear sometimes in guild chat, and sometimes I even use the word 'gay' out of context. So what? It's the guild that I am part of, and I wouldn't do it if I thought that it was going to seriously damage any ties that I have made in the game. Besides which, a guild is supposed to be people you know or people that you will get to know as you play. If you can't deal with it, find a different guild maybe?

And finally, if you still get infuriated every time that someone swears, remember that /filter is there for your mental well being, and also to protect small children from language.

Ultimately the responsibility is up to you to block out the unpleasant words, because (like you said) there are 1000's of people playing this game, and there is no way in hell that you can stop that many people using bad language.

</em hands Fingoniel a reality sandwich> ;)

Peace out,

Ryu

F

Flimgoblin

Ryu - I'm not disputing anyone's right to speak what they like to each other in guild chat or in /sends

I'm disputing that using the word 'gay' as an insult is all right...
Someone was defending it on the basis that 'everyone uses that' or "we all use that so you shouldn't take it as offensive". I'm just giving an example to make them (hopefully) think about it for a second. If they want to be inconsiderate bastards afterwards and continue to do so then it's their choice.

about filters:
the amount of people that scream "f.uck you" or "c-unt" (and somehow think they're so clever getting round the sophisticated chat filters ;)) that even if I had the filter switched on it'd be pointless.

S

SFXman

Hmm, I admit to using foul language often even in-game and this is due to the simple fact that I swear a lot in RL (just a habit amongst friends and maybe even finns:)), but not if I don't know the people in my group. As to the PI GC well, yes I have said the f-word too but I do NOT swear at people who kill me for example... I might send a comment about the fight but only things like "Heh, damn I almost got in my pbaoe, but oh well"...
I for one don't ever use caps in the gc and generally my swear words are meaningless :rolleyes:

D

darbey

*edited out swear attack*

:rolleyes:

Bet your parent are proud of u and your university education, u muppet

O

old.Niljindil

Originally posted by darbey

If that was a comment about lofff's language skills then i can only say that he is spanish. Just go to spain some time and see for yourself how common the english language is there!

Just being able to be understood is VERY uncommon.

So dont pick on peoples language skills :p

N

Novamir

Originally posted by Ryu_Murasame
Not meaning to jump on the bandwagon here but,

There are many different things that you have to take into consideration here:

The person using the offending words may not be native english, and so their grasp of english may be rudimentary at best. I know from meeting many different people from many different countries, that swearing is one of the first things that anyone learning english picks up. So, there is that to consider.

Another point is that you were listening to some sort of guild chat (or at least I assume so from your post) which is slightly more select than shouting or broadcasting. I swear sometimes in guild chat, and sometimes I even use the word 'gay' out of context. So what? It's the guild that I am part of, and I wouldn't do it if I thought that it was going to seriously damage any ties that I have made in the game. Besides which, a guild is supposed to be people you know or people that you will get to know as you play. If you can't deal with it, find a different guild maybe?

And finally, if you still get infuriated every time that someone swears, remember that /filter is there for your mental well being, and also to protect small children from language.

Ultimately the responsibility is up to you to block out the unpleasant words, because (like you said) there are 1000's of people playing this game, and there is no way in hell that you can stop that many people using bad language.

</em hands Fingoniel a reality sandwich> ;)

Peace out,

Ryu

!bandwagon.jpg

S

stu

Originally posted by Ryu_Murasame

I agree, although interestingly from a slightly different perspective - I'm guessing (and no offence intended here) that Unandra is not English. The word "gay" has over the past couple of years (certainly within the gaming 'community') started to become a catch-all insult, *not* referring to being homosexual. It's quite an English thing, although I've started to notice some Scandinavians doing it too (in my experience they tend to pick up a lot more English slang/intonation than some others). Anyway, it's a bit like calling someone a wanker or similar - it's just a generic insult, not something to get greatly offended by. The problem occurs when non-English speakers assume the "proper" translation of the word.

N

Negura`

*edited out swear attack*

:rolleyes:

:wub:

C

Cedig

Originally posted by Fingoniel

Or hey, lets be Masogynistic, or sexist and call someone a 'woman' when they're bindstone-killing.

It's exactly the same thing.

lmao - oh god plz stop. You're acting like a big girls blouse :p

Doh, now you've got me doing it.... bindstone-killing woman... see a few of those lol

Hey the world not screw'd up enough, lets bring some of that over compensating politically correct bullshit into the game.... i suggest that

1) All dwarfs should now be renamed Vertically Challenge People with beards

2) Troll should be referred to as Mentally challenged People from disfunctional families

please feel free to add your Obsurd PC suggestions below

C

ChillyDawg

not read any of the replies to original post here, just the subject and NO. if you don like it, /filter on

Dawg

L

lofff

Originally posted by darbey

Actually its my 4th year at uni and they are.

ps: prison sucks but we pwned it ^^

L

lofff

Originally posted by Negura`

:wub:

fugging trollish biatch! keep ur hands where i can c em! <--- u see negura? thats too weird to the whiners posting here

L

lofff

Originally posted by old.Niljindil

If that was a comment about lofff's language skills then i can only say that he is spanish. Just go to spain some time and see for yourself how common the english language is there!

Just being able to be understood is VERY uncommon.

So dont pick on peoples language skills :p

wtf

wtf is wrong with my english skills :p

Must say daoc nerfed em a bit... but still *sigh*

C

Cuthervaen

Kill the Vertically Challenged People with beards first they're the healers!!!!

M

monkeynutter

first thing i learnt was how to take the filter off, nothing worse than say what a %$%£ that person is and having it come out saying what a %$%£ that person is. good post though best way to bring all the swearing $$$%%£ out in reply is to post a g$£ post about all the £$£$ and ££"£"£ that happens in guild chat. best is to just turn the £££"%"£%*% filter on.

B

bellious

Originally posted by stu

I agree, although interestingly from a slightly different perspective - I'm guessing (and no offence intended here) that Unandra is not English. The word "gay" has over the past couple of years (certainly within the gaming 'community') started to become a catch-all insult, *not* referring to being homosexual. It's quite an English thing, although I've started to notice some Scandinavians doing it too (in my experience they tend to pick up a lot more English slang/intonation than some others). Anyway, it's a bit like calling someone a wanker or similar - it's just a generic insult, not something to get greatly offended by. The problem occurs when non-English speakers assume the "proper" translation of the word.

What Happy? =P

F

frella

hmmm

Well

seeing as i am a gay/puff/fag/queer or what other things you call homos in real life

When people say "this is gay and that is gay" i dont really take that much offence unless they do it in a not so friendly way then i show them what a gay person can do

BITCH MY HEAD OFF! hehe

but i dont really think the language in the game is THAT bad lol and even if it is. so what? lol its a GAME and we are all sad tossers with no social skills (well you lot are i am a god but thats not the point)

Well thats my point of view.

Chow

P

parisienscot

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by frella

When people say "this is gay and that is gay" i dont really take that much offence unless they do it in a not so friendly way then i show them what a gay person can do

BITCH MY HEAD OFF! hehe

Chow

I completely agree! Let that be a warning to you all. If you p*ss us off we will exact revenge in evil and devious ways!

F

frella

hmm

yea dont push us or the puffs will take over!

FLYING HANDBAGS!!!

inc the puffs are purple!

hehe

chow

A

Arrows

i dont think you can constanyly go around being carefull not to tread on peoples toes ...
i say things are gay all the time and i dont mean that chair likes to bang other chairs (lol) i mean it as in queer as in peculiar as in odd. Id call someone a woman though for doing summit like bind killing though cos an unmanly thing to do ... based on my predefined concepts of honour etc.. which women have no idae about btw ... thats why they dont like all teh films we do .. anyways .....
maybe your more worried that you see being gay as an offensive term....

ill say whatever the hell i like in game doesnt mean i go around cussing people off at teh drop of a hat.... and if i call someone gay who is then they can take it up with me and ill apoligise i feel i need to and ill hope he understands the way i mean it may not be the way he thinks .... and if he isnt going to listen well then i dont have timefor ignorant stuborn people....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom