Help plug-in insect repellers

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
anyone know if these work at all? its the electrical type you plug into the wall that im after.
wanting to deter and get rid of a current infestation.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bug zapper too "inhumane"?

Just asking, as i believe those things get rid of most flying problems.

Also, what kind of infestation?

You wouldn't also want to repel them to your bedroom :D

tris-

silverfish which are somehow in my bedroom and in the kitchen.
though come to think of it my bedroom is above the kitchen so perhaps theyre are coming from the floor spacing.

cant really zap them as they are hard to spot. usually only catch them if the room is dark and then you turn the light on.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
silverfish which are somehow in my bedroom and in the kitchen.
though come to think of it my bedroom is above the kitchen so perhaps theyre are coming from the floor spacing.

cant really zap them as they are hard to spot. usually only catch them if the room is dark and then you turn the light on.

Ah yeah, those buggers usually infest the toilet but spread like a mother.

they are a pain to get rid of, and with the exception of good old bugbombs(which we used to nuke a fruit fly problem), don't really know.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Yeah they're pretty gross things, have them at my place. It's a studio flat and they seem to come out from under around the shower at night.

Squash em and they turn it's some wierd dust, like nothing was there, spooked me out at first.

Keeping ur room clean helps. Other thing, if you off somewhere for the weekend, close all the windows, give the room a big 20s dose of insect killer all over, shut the door immediately and bugger off. Saves having to put up with they smell of it urself and means it lingers about long enuff to kill most stuff.

taB

Part of the furniture
They like damp, humid stuff. Open windows more and ensure good ventilation. Keep house heated in winter. Clean more :(.

wiki said:
In buildings, silverfish can only exist in sufficiently humid, crevice-rich environments. If these two conditions are removed, the silverfish will not be able to live. Measures that may be taken to eliminate silverfish, at least temporarily, include the following:

* By far the most effective way to be rid of silverfish for sure is to keep an area or room tidy, limiting the possible number of breeding grounds they have.
* Ensuring showers, baths etc. are rinsed clean and free of any residual toiletries that may attract hungry silverfish.
* Leaving the bathroom door open after a shower to lessen the humidity
* To capture silverfish, trap in small glass containers - silverfish cannot climb up the smooth inside walls.
* Silverfish can also be caught by sprinkling plaster on a wet white cotton cloth put in a corner overnight, near the silverfish's hideout.
* Placing moth balls in four corners of a room is said to keep silverfish away from wallpaper.
* Adults can be killed by freezing, but it is difficult to kill the eggs.

Dard

Part of the furniture
You sure its silverfish & not cockroach's ? Silverfish arent usually too bothered about light.

Anyways,

Plug in insect repellers are crap, if you want to waste your cash just send it to me, ill be more than happy to send you somthing to plug in your bedroom socket that will give some peace of mind but no actual pest detterent ;)

Housekeeping is usually the issue, have a good old spring clean throughout, not just in the kitchen, make sure you pay attention to cracks & crevices (no bad jokes please). These guys can live in all sorts of places, even behind peeling wallpaper, so be thorough when you are cleaning.

Silverfish like damp & can live off mould, so if they are in the bathroom, check for damp & leaking taps or pipes (same under kitchen sink).

If you cant get somewhere (like under units, behind kickboards etc) then use a crawling insect killer (look for somthing containing permethrin / bioallethrin) dont worry about long term affects on humans, these types of sprays are knockdowns have a short residual life.

If you go looking for moth balls, (which i suggest you dont) avoid all products that contain Naphthalene, Paradichlorobenzene or Dichlorvos, thats some nasty shit than can kill you & your pets.

Housekeeping is the key.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Do what most people do open a window, let the fucker out, close window, job done.

Or practice lying still for hours with your tongue out and jam on the end of it. When an insect munches down on the jam, try and close your mouth on the insect before it flies off.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Do what most people do open a window, let the fucker out, close window, job done.

Or practice lying still for hours with your tongue out and jam on the end of it. When an insect munches down on the jam, try and close your mouth on the insect before it flies off.

Hrhm. Or do what most people do and know that silverfish don't fly :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ejaculate everywhere and they wont have a place to hide in!

tris-

the house is clean as fuck. the whole place goes through a deep clean every week, my mother is a clean freak.

taB

Part of the furniture
Then it's too damp/humid otherwise you wouldn't have 'em. They don't exist in a standard enviroment.

tris-

Then it's too damp/humid otherwise you wouldn't have 'em. They don't exist in a standard enviroment.

there is no mould growing anywhere.
i dfont know how it could get humid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom