Playstation 2 'Green Screen' etc.

S

Skyler

Okay this has been bugging me for some time now, I'm sure most of you PS2 owners will be aware of 'Green Screen'. For example trying to play a different region DVD usually results in getting video in black & white with a hint of green, or when you plug your svideo cables into a capture card on your PC the video displayed is void of colour completely.

I'm having that precise problem when trying to capture video from my PS2 onto the PC. I was told that there was a specific R/F unit, perhaps made by Mad Katz which worked around the Green Screen thing to allow coloured video playback. However I am not sure if that will work and can't find one of those anyway to test it.

Does anyone have any experience with capturing video from their PS2 and can share how it's done please? :)

I am aware that chipping the PS2 with the Messiah chip would probably remove Green Screen but I'm viewing that as a last resort (too many wires to solder)...

Any other ways I can get it working?

S

Skyler

Ohhh I've fiddled with my video card and ps2 and cables etc and managed to produce colour finally! It was macrovision on the S-Video cables that was stopping the colour from being shown (stopping people from ripping dvds to tape to sell). I managed to find a setting called 'Composite' which solved my problems and gives me colour video...

I do however still have a big green line above any video I capture :/

L

leggy

The green screen results from using the RGB signal when playing back DVDs on the PS2.

The composite mode is piss poor quality, esp on a ps2.

A better solution would be to use the Region Free Disc that you can pick up on ebay for a few pounds. This removes the green screen and allows you to play back in RGB mode (when using an RGB cable).

S

Skyler

I tried using a region free thing that action replay did but it didn't fix it for dvds on my tv... and as for games I didn't try that... I want to be able to capture my game footage in colour.. not worried about dvds ;)

L

leggy

The action replay one didn't work for me either. This was just called DVD Region Free.

Users who are viewing this thread