Playstaion 3 Questions.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Thanks luv and is there an easy way to share my folders without having to get the manual out?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
triangle button, there will be a cren icon, giving you the options of zoom full screen and normal

you can also use mkv2vob to convert .mkvs to vob/mpg and playem back on ps3 via tv versity or its hdd. most tv eps take a couple of mins to convert:)

Trem

Thanks luv and is there an easy way to share my folders without having to get the manual out?

I have just done a google search and is it me or is this starting to sound a ball ache to do?

Do any of you guys have a step by step way of sharing my folders please?

My PC is Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm vista network options. enable file-sharing, say yes to public network, and then enable media sharing. if your PS3/s on, vista will see it and you can enable sharing to that device.

iirc ofc.

and I'm not saying what state your security will be in afterwards o0

Trem

Cheers teedles, sorted. Can I only share the 'my music' 'my video' ect folders or on the PS3 can I point it at my own folders?

TdC

well you can set your sharing to basically any folder you like, you'll have to specify it in the network center (or whatever it's called), and it should show up when you click your user on the '3

though what gets on my personal set of tits, is that you can see everything shared from every option, eg pics, music, vids, but you can only play or view said file when in it's correct top level option, ie films will only play from the film folder, or you get an error. that irks me :/

Trem

This is driving me up the wall now.

My PS3 is connected to my PC and I can see the 'my music' folders ect but I cannot find my actual music folder, I have made it shared and also allowed access to my PS3 but the PS3 will not bring up my folder that all my music is in, I have even added it all as a playlist in WMP to no avail.

Have I really got to use the standard windows folders to stream to the PS3 or is there something I am missing?

So annoying was loads easier on the Xbox (for obvious reasons I guess).

FozzySon

Can't get enough of FH
I dont know anything about Vista, but I am presuming it comes with WMP11.

Goto Tools > Options > Configure Sharing (make sure theres a tick in the Share my media to: box) and an unknown device will pop up, that'll be the PS3. Click ok, then goto Monitor Folders then add the folders you wish to be shared, click ok and hopefully it'll all work.

I am doing this on XP, so I can only assume, Vista isn't going to be any different.

Trem

Thanks Fozzy that looks right, quite the same as on Xbox. Just doing it now........hopefully.

Fozzy rocks and Teedles smells of wee :eek:

Starman

Part of the furniture
Make sure you've selected Music etc under Media Sharing Settings or changing it under 'Unknown Device' Customize.

Trem

Thanks luvs all up and running now.....

.....BUT (I swear this is my last question) when playing back video files from my pc the PS3 is only putting the sound out through 1 speaker (the right front) on my surround sound, any ideas why it is doing that, normal playback is fine.

Oh yeah 1 other question which IS DEFINTELY MY LAST ONE, why does the PS3 not pick up Blu-Ray files on my pc so that I can play them on the tv?

FozzySon

Can't get enough of FH
The blu-ray thing, is it a full blu-ray rip or a MKV file? If it is an MKV, use a program called mkv2vob, it takes less than 10mins to convert the movie to a vob file, so the PS3 can read it. Also, in order to watch the converted files, like mkv's, you'll need to use TVersity (or something else, I only of TVersity) to stream them, as WMP11 can't do it, as far as I know.

As for the sound query, I have no idea, sorry. :(

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
Oh man, you should get yourself 1 of those.

I had lotsa trouble streaming stuff from my PC to TV using my PS3, so i bought this tvix thing with 500gb hdd. Damn, its sweet, plays everything i put in it. :D Altho i use it only to watch bd-rip's, for dvd's i still prefer PS3, it upscales to 1080p now O_O

Trem

The blu-ray thing, is it a full blu-ray rip or a MKV file? If it is an MKV, use a program called mkv2vob, it takes less than 10mins to convert the movie to a vob file, so the PS3 can read it. Also, in order to watch the converted files, like mkv's, you'll need to use TVersity (or something else, I only of TVersity) to stream them, as WMP11 can't do it, as far as I know.

As for the sound query, I have no idea, sorry. :(

Cheers again fozzy, I am having a fucking nightmare.

It is putting surround out via the optical into the amp but it won't do it via the HDMI lead it seems, so the PS3 is now bypassing the amps HDMI and going straight into telly and my sound is via optical into the amp.

Thats that sorted.

Tversity looks great because I can just minimise it and it sits there all the time so thats sorted for divx and music but not the blue ray file I have.

They are m2ts files which after googling seems they are the sony video files so it looks like its a direct rip off a BR.

The PS3 still does not pick it up though.

TdC

It is putting surround out via the optical into the amp but it won't do it via the HDMI lead it seems, so the PS3 is now bypassing the amps HDMI and going straight into telly and my sound is via optical into the amp.

yeah that's how I have it too. My amp's too old to have HDMI, so I was quite pleased with the optical out, as the amp does have a couple of those. So, hdmi to the flat screen and glass to the amp. works a charm.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Cheers again fozzy, I am having a fucking nightmare.

They are m2ts files which after googling seems they are the sony video files so it looks like its a direct rip off a BR.

The PS3 still does not pick it up though.

m2ts needs copying to ps3 hdd in order to play at least the last time i tried you could i think you can still chuck it in mkv2vob and convert it to vob and stream via tv versity

Trem

Does that take away from the quality though?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
playing from hdd wont, as for mkv2vob youll hardly see any the guy behind it has worked hard in combined sevral apps youd be hard pressed to notice the diff before and after. only thing is at the mo it wont do dts as the ps3 cant play vobs with dts, the app converts any dts signal to ac3/DD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom