News Plague Year?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah pretty worried now that Gordon the **** has said that :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I find the way that business interests and the possible economic impact is being placed on a higher importance than human health fairly disgusting tbh.

When foot n mouth came to the UK we sealed off the countryside despite it being a virus that can spread hundreds of miles when it gets airborne (as it did when it crossed the channel to infect holland) yet we are failing to take basic steps to prevent an infection that could kill many in the UK?

rynnor

Rockhound

What a looney tosser hes become - people who can only view human lives as a negative were common in nazi germany - these views devalue us all.

I prefer to view new lives as a positive thing - one of them may come up with a fabulous solution for it all.

People have been predicting doom from human population for over 4000 years - oddly they have all been wrong :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Government mis-information - the Scottish health spokeswoman and her crony were obviously unhappy when journalists asked why people who had contact with that scottish couple are wandering around talking to people with no precautions.

They then said people arent infectious until they have symptoms which isnt actually true - with flu your infectious for 24 hours before symptoms - that kind of mis-information could be very dangerous in these circumstances!

rynnor

Rockhound
A guy was on from the Centre for Disease Control who said that once you reach level 4 you inevitably reach level 6 because the later levels require no changes to the virus just time to spread.

Once a novel flu virus can effeciently spread between humans a pandemic is probably inevitable.

We have some potential evidence of just how infectious this virus could be from scotland - 9 of the 24 people who had contact with that flu couple are now showing flu-like symptoms - if that turns out to be Swine flu it would mean its incredibly infectious!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
d00med!

Stop buying into the scaremongering bollocks on the BBC.

rynnor

Rockhound
d00med!

Stop buying into the scaremongering bollocks on the BBC.

Me? no - tbh I'd say that in the last couple of days they have really quietened down and ceased a lot of the speculation.

My views are more extreme - I'm personally convinced that this will cause a pandemic but I'm not really expecting it to hit massively until the autumn - its the wrong time of year for northern hemisphere flu.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There was a funny comment on the BBC comments section along the lines of "I am not worried, I am more of a bounder than a swine"

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh dear - BBC NEWS | Health | Man returns from Mexico 'with flu'

This doesnt sound right at all - this guy has returned from Mexico - has flu - hasnt been tested because no kits locally - mrs gets ill - gets prescribed tamiflu but theres no tamiflu at any local pharmacy so shes not getting the medication - and this is in Harrow!

So much for the UK being greatly prepared :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Have a sense of humour!

Humour is a very individual thing but thats a different discussion - your welcome to spam bad jokes in another thread but I'd prefer on topic stuff here thanks.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What a looney tosser hes become - people who can only view human lives as a negative were common in nazi germany - these views devalue us all.

I prefer to view new lives as a positive thing - one of them may come up with a fabulous solution for it all.

People have been predicting doom from human population for over 4000 years - oddly they have all been wrong :p

la la la la! fairies and stuff! :)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I've sinned and feel kind of silly now :(.

I've bought a box of surgical masks from amazon. I jokely looked 2 days ago and you could easily get boxes of 50 for £15-£20. This morning, with headlines about shortages of masks I checked again and the price has doubled £30-£40 and 3/4 of the stockests showing "out of stock". For that reason and because I've got a 5 month old son I bought a pack.

But I feel stupid, although I'm considering selling masks at £5 a pop if the hype and shortages continue. In which case I can hold my head up again? :(

Also check out Home | Mail Online front page headline. What a load of shite and made up statistics :).

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I wonder why these flus seem to kill mainly young adults, do they need a healthy body to work well or something?

probably something to do with not having a fully developed immunity system, or as it is on the old folks, not strong enough.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
probably something to do with not having a fully developed immunity system, or as it is on the old folks, not strong enough.

It apparently sends the immune system into overdrive which fucks up the defense or something.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Tamiflu eases the symptoms but I am quite sure there is no vaccine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Humour is a very individual thing but thats a different discussion - your welcome to spam bad jokes in another thread but I'd prefer on topic stuff here thanks.

No offence rynnor, but get a grip ffs. You seem to be gearing up for full on foaming-at-the-mouth hysteria. Pull yourself together man, we're British. Joke and a cup of tea is all we need to fight johnny foreigner flu.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tamiflu eases the symptoms but I am quite sure there is no vaccine.

Yeah but its a H1N1 variant so most of us have basic immunity. And there's a great deal of doubt about the Mexican cases now; they've already downgraded the known deaths from 20 to 7, which puts doubt on the other 130-odd, which they're retesting.

This is it now isn't it? Every couple of years for the rest of our lives the facemasks will come out and the hysteria-o-meter will get dialled up to 11.

Nate

FH is my second home
and here's me about to start an apprenticeship in butchery in a shop on a pig farm :twak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom