Pipex just called me - need advice asap

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I just received an automated call from supposedly Pipex (who I am with) and it said:

"this is an automatic phone call from Pipex internet Ltd, there is a problem with your account that we need to discuss with you urgently, please hold while we connect you to an operator" - so I thought "hmm weird", so I waited.

I get through to someone who said "thanks for holding, can you please confirm your address and postcode for security purposes" so I did.

Then they asked "can you please confirm the password on your account" and I said "hang on a second, why do you need to know the password?". They said "because we need it as a security check", I said "but i thought you guys would never ask for account details and certainly not the password?" , well sir we do need it, I will even tell you the first two characters of the password and you can tell me the rest - I said "ummmmm i don't think so?! .... i'm going to hang up and phone pipex directly on the proper number ... you were the ones who phoned me asking for my account details and password, yet you can't even tell me why you're calling?".

So they said "no problem Mr Big G - do you want me to give you the number?" I said "no, i'll go on the web and get the proper number thanks".

Advice? Sound legit?

Asking for passwords to the main account?

old.user4556

Just spoken with Pipex customer services, apparently they've had a lot of complaints about these calls because they come across as some sort of phishing scam, the fact they phone up and ask your personal details and account password right off the bat. It was a genuine call.

I told the dude on the phone to feed it back to management that it's a dreadful way to run a system, particularly in this paranoid fraud ridden generation.

Beware of this all pipex subscribers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Are you joking? you actually gave any details when someone called YOU?

Make it easy for identity fraudsters why don't you.

edi: Just read your second post. Still no excuse to give out your personal details, always assume it's dodgy if you have not made the call.

old.user4556

Yeah Chetan, I get these calls all the time and I tell them all my personal details FOC. :rolleyes:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Are you joking? you actually gave any details when someone called YOU?

Make it easy for identity fraudsters why don't you.

edi: Just read your second post. Still no excuse to give out your personal details, always assume it's dodgy if you have not made the call.

I take the same stance as Ch3tan, I'll never give anyone any details about myself (not even my name/address/phone no) to people that call me. I'll only do it when I call them.

Quite often get Sky calling me with some new offer, but always end up telling them I refuse to "confirm my personal details" as I cant confirm theirs.

What a paranoid world we life in huh :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I call people to get them to pay thier card bills, and have to ask them for thier password and address etc every call.
Most people (99%) do.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
whenever i get someone like the bank phone me out of the blue i tell them i will phone them back and phone the main customer service number. If they are legit it wont bother them.

So phone the main pipex number and ask if there are any calls logged to you and if so what they were about.

edit nm: you did the right thing in the end

Kryten

Old Cow.
Pipex are very well known for having an accounts/CS department that has no morals or intelligence, so this doesn't come as much of a suprise from them. I agree totally though - it's completely off the mark to run a practice like that.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I'd leave them just because tehey're clearly idiots. "hello Sir, I can read youyour password back, cany you verify uit's your password?" good god, I've read better ones in nigerian email scams :/ they should be drawn and quartered just for being legit though on a par :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom