Pingplotter - How To?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I've been having a few problems with my connection recently so decided to download the program from www.pingplotter.com (freeware) and I was just wondering, how the hell do you work it and what does it mean? This is what I've been having problems with so far :p

I recently tried to play battlefield 2 and decided to ping plot just to test the program. First of all, I tried plotting the random websites which are already assigned, then I plotted the IP address of the server. Both times, I had an average of about 100ping to all connections. This, although not perfect, I can live with but as soon as I connected to a server, the ping rose over a period of about 2 minutes. 150-300-450-600-750........eventually I'd end up at over 1000 ping which of course kicks me out of the game.

It looked to me as though it was my connection itself which was being screwed up, not an individual address which I was linking to.

Now occasionally I have problems with DaoC too, not all the time but I'll just get huge lag spikes for around 30 seconds whereby I can do nothing, my teamspeak screws up when I try to talk and then eventually, it's all gone and 100% fine again. The funny thing is, I can type something, press enter and nothing will appear...I will however be able to see other peoples chat, it WONT linkdead me and after the 30seconds, my chat is all spammed at once.

Using logic, despite the fact that I have no idea what the servers listed are in most cases on the pingplotter, I'd put it down to my outgoing connection but I'm not on this connection alone. My dad plays everquest at the moment and whenever I get the lag spikes and run down to see if he's getting the same but his computer is never effected, nor is my mothers or our laptop.

I even tried today, swapping all of our connections around in the hub but it did nothing :(

Could it be software based? (no dodgy programs on my computer)
Could it be some sort of adaware stealing my connection? (done a sweep and found nothing wrong)
Could it be other computers on my connection? (Have tried stopping all programs on their computers yet mine still screws up)
Could it be that my computer is upstairs and runs through a 15meter long cable? (Sure it couldn't be that due to the distance signals travel, 15M aint gonna make much of a difference).

I'm stumped :(

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Basically your mapping a route from your pc to your chosen destination (bf server, daoc server, web site etc) and at the same time measuring the time it takes for a packet of data to reach your final destination and all the stops in between.

what your basically looking for is the first slow stop and and work your way out runing traces against other services, bbc.co.uk for example.

If you find a consistently slow point on your route u need then to find out who owns that stop by searching on www.ripe.net if/when u find out it's your isp thats causing the slow down, complain to them :p

Try trunning traces to well known big sites that have lots of bandwith, google, bbc, microsoft etc.

The first 2-3 hops or stops as i have been calling them are most likely owned by your isp.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Sadly it isn't an individual address which is listed that causes the high ping, it is every address in the list which goes to a very high number. Tried running traces to large websites but they end up with the same problem :(

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:
Sadly it isn't an individual address which is listed that causes the high ping, it is every address in the list which goes to a very high number. Tried running traces to large websites but they end up with the same problem :(

If it's all of them, then its going to be a problem with your home set up or ISP i'm affriad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom