PHP/MYSQL websites

P

pg_exoshear

I've been playing around with phpBB for a while now. Modding it, changing stuff around etc.

Recently, I've come to a point were I'm fairly confident I can do pretty much anything with it (I've even built websites off of a phpBB, lol).

So, I've been looking into other types of php/mysql stuff, but have hit a barrier - there doesn’t seem to be much good stuff out there from what I can see.

Nuke and Post Nuke (things like that) don't really interest me - I find the design and navigation a little clumsy (The odd times a little buggy in areas).
So, I'm wondering what other types of website engines I can get? Someone I know has a WikiWikiWeb, but I can't seem to find a download for this anywhere, I'd like to give it ago (Playing around with it and such).

So, all in all, I want suggestions on what I can do to help develop my php and mysql skills, and different types of php software that is out there.

Thanks in advance!

F

FatBusinessman

If you really want to develop your PHP/MySQL skills, write your own engine from scratch to do exactly what you want it to.

Problems with this being that it would be very time-consuming, and rather difficult if your skills aren't up to it (but from what you've said, they may well be).

But feel free to give it a go, and if/when you hit problems you can always call upon the fount of all knowledge that is Jonty :)

E

evilmonkeh

tbh, a really great way to get into php and mysql is to build your own forum system. not only will you have to consider speed, but need to see how a database system works.

its quite a good excersize

F

FatBusinessman

At the risk of sounding cowardly, that sounds like a rather hefty project...

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by Scurvy.monkeh
tbh, a really great way to get into php and mysql is to build your own forum system. not only will you have to consider speed, but need to see how a database system works.

its quite a good excersize
Says the man who runs invisionboard.

Speaking of which, I run my MYstIC G site using Invisionboard as the backend, which may be more suited to you than a full blown CMS pg_exoshear. Also if you get to the point that I've reached at the moment (trying to change the news exporting script to pull a random post from a set forum) you'll get to play around with the mySQL & php.

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
At the risk of sounding cowardly, that sounds like a rather hefty project...
actually a simple forum is rather easy
first you make yourself a table called threads or something.
then in your page which shows the threads you have
"select * from threads"
make sure you give each thread an id.
then when you output the threads, make the url something like this:
viewthread.php?id=ID
have a messages table as well, with each message having a parent id.
then in your view thread.php, have sql as:
"Select * from messages where parentid='".$id."'"

not too hard and you should come accross most of the database concepts you will need to do something big.

btw, i use invision because i prefer to use something other than the bog standard phpbb which everyone seems to be using these days ;)

F

FatBusinessman

Granted, that bit is fairly simple. But then you consider adding in a member database (with separate forum permissions, member categories), forum searching, user authentication, perhaps some kind of private messaging system, and you've landed yourself a hefty project.

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
Granted, that bit is fairly simple. But then you consider adding in a member database (with separate forum permissions, member categories), forum searching, user authentication, perhaps some kind of private messaging system, and you've landed yourself a hefty project.
yes, but you neednt do that straight away.
start simple
build a guestbook/forum with the option to post messages and threads.
start with just letting users enter a username when they post a message so you dont have to worry about user accounts etc.
make a simple admin page to add catagorys etc.
add user registration, and logins
tart things up
you can choose to do how much you want to it, it can be simple or advanced, but you can learn alot from it.

D

Deadmanwalking

I think what mystic_g meant was the fact that if it is so easy why haven't you done it :p

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
I think what mystic_g meant was the fact that if it is so easy why haven't you done it :p
why i have ;)
but id rather use something a bit more reliable than sometyhing ive cobbled together:)
anyway if your going to go all out and make a forum to challenge the best, then you have alot of work to do, but a simple one with minimal features aint too hard:)

J

Jonty

Hi pg_exoshear

As people have said, setting yourself a little project is often a good idea when learning PHP and/or MySQL. Often the best way to learn is from your mistakes, and although fustrating at first, I'm sure you'll be able to progress quickly as you get more familiar with what's involved.

WebMonkey has some nice tutorials for starting off with PHP and MySQL, as does SitePoint. Naturally, searching with your favourite engine (Google, Yahoo! etc) will produce more reliable tutorial sites. And then, of course, there is the PHP Manual, which although very daunting at first, will become an invaluable resource to you when needing to look up the specifics of a function. The examples provided can also be extremely useful.

There are, of course, books you can buy/rent on these topics, should you prefer that way of learning.

Kind Regards

P

pg_exoshear

Hehe, cheers guys. ^^;

I might have a go at designing my own engine (God save us all!) when I have a little more spare time -- Not possible to right now, ah well.

Thanks again!

~Exoshear

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by pg_exoshear
Hehe, cheers guys. ^^;

I might have a go at designing my own engine (God save us all!) when I have a little more spare time -- Not possible to right now, ah well.

Thanks again!

~Exoshear
engine for what eh? ;)
a car? :p

Users who are viewing this thread