U

[UKLans]Khan

asp and php are both dead......

Here comes ASP.NET!!!

YAY

Khan

J

Jonty

Both PHP and ASP have the place. Both do things that the other can't, and both have their good sides and bad sides. ASP.NET is a paradigm shift in terms of ASP, and it'll be interesting to see how PHP responds.

Now no pointless discussions, okay? :p

D

danger

Could anyone explain to me what ASP .NET is? (Why do M$ have that gh3y obsession with the term .net.... it sux!)

How does it differ from plain old vanilla ASP ?

U

[UKLans]Khan

SOme of the things I have found are:

+ Cached response's until a database change = LOTS FASTER
+ No more VB Script only full Visual Basic.Net
+ Lots more structure to code i.e - Put the script at the top and use the Web Forms [New concept!]
+ Can be used in shit loads of programming lanuages
+ Microsoft has created a community of .net 'ers [WOW]

There are loads more but these are the ones i can think of,

Ta

Khan

D

danger

Visual Basic.NET FFS WHAT IS ALL THIS .NET BUSINESS EVERYTHING IS .NET WITH MICROSOFT IT'S ENOUGH .NET TO .NET PISS .NET YOU .NET THE .NET FUCK .NET OFF.............

/calm....

no no it's my problem I'll deal with it.........

.NET grrr why is everything .NET ?!?!

/calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean.........

phew that's better...... neway yeah it looks good, shame as I only know VBScript so would have to learn VB so I'd probs learn PHP instead.

U

[UKLans]Khan

I didn't know asp.net i just used to use asp and vb script BUT!!!! its easy once you know the syntax, trust me it is very very good.

Instead of writing 3 or 4 pages for add/edit/delete you can use 1 page!! Its almost Microsoft listen to people... omg!!

Khan

I

Ivan.

Originally posted by [UKLans]Khan
Instead of writing 3 or 4 pages for add/edit/delete you can use 1 page!! Its almost Microsoft listen to people... omg!!

Would that be the people who say PHP > ASP? :p

O

old.Jas

I've been implementing systems using .net for a little while now - and I have to say I'm very impressed.

The main upside of .net is the common language runtime (CLR). This allows people to 'create' programming languages to run in the .net enviroment. Your therefore not tied to vbscript, c# or any of the 20+ other languages... you can go and make your own.

In terms of asp.net, I have to say - its the daddy. Caching and precompiling of code is excellent, and the downstream caching is works a treat for distributed sites.

J

Jonty

.NET is indeed a paradigm shift in terms of the possibilities it presents to us as designers and end users. It's largest obstacles are firstly, trying to explain 'what is .NET?' to the masses, and, secondly, convincing those who somewhat irrationally hate all things Microsoft that this will change their lives. Whatever the case, with the advent of Microsoft's new OSs, such as Yukon, Longhorn and Blackcomb, we'll all be able to see .NET in action in some impressive 'real world' examples :)

O

old.Jas

Oh yeah, the new OS' will be great. If they have anything about them then MS will address some fundamental security issues before working on new features.

J

Jonty

Well Yukon is likely to be a lil' cash in, akin to a Windows XP 2003 with enhanced .NET technology intergration and improved WM technlogy. But it's Longhorn and Blackcomb that really have the potential to, as you say, get rid of many many flaws in the code. As so much is being written and rewritten (even so much as a 3D interface and an information-orientated interface) the long shipping date really many be woth the wait :)

U

[UKLans]Khan

arn't the new OS's file systems based on a SQL server?

Khan

J

Jonty

The next-generation filing systems have not been disclosed as yet and anything that has been released is pure speculation, unfortunately :( What is known is that by 2005, Longhorn's shipping date, MS hope that broadband will have increased in it's adoption and that online filing systems can begin to be used (i.e. in my Uni I have a virtual drive I can access from any PC in the world, and over a 10Mbps connection it suddenly becomes a reality to have all my Word files etc stored online rather than tied to one drive, removable or otherwise).

Users who are viewing this thread