Photos, Files and Backups

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I've been scracthing my head at the possible options and was wondering what you do to keep on top of using multiple computers, laptops, phones, cameras?

For example I have a PC, Laptop, camera, android phone, and gf has one too.

The problem is getting all the files you want to keep in one logical place. I.e. photos from phones going to one location in a simple as way as possible.

I've been resisting turning on file sharing on my PC+laptop to avoid issues if one of the PC / laptop gets infected with a virus. But I've come to see it is the only way to swap files across and avoid duplication of data.

Using windows Vista is there a secure way to setup a home network connected to a wireless ADSL? (any tips would be appreciated).

I've got a USB 1TB Hard Drive where I used to backup:

My website work (I run a small website company)
My Main Job's Files (excel files, word docs e.t.c)
My Photos
My Music

However as I have multiple copies of websites on main PC and laptop making it a nightmare at present to update a website without editing an old HTML file and uploading it to see it is a year old :(.

I've uploaded a backuped copy of the websites in zipped file to my some online space in the mean time.

I've toyed with a network drive idea, but I've gone for a USB portable HD so in the case of a electical fault / power surge or something freaky happening the HD is safely away from the chaos..

My Idea Summary
1. Networked PC - All files (new 5 port usb hub on desk for easy camera e.t.c plugin access)
2. Networked Laptop - All website work files (I use this 99% of the time)

(If I do this then I can sort out xbox with media centre too?)

1 x 1TB portable Hard Drive (synced to get files from main PC)
1 x 250GB portable Hard Drive (for the laptops website work files)
1 x online storage area

So what do you guys do? :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I upload my photos to Flickr, all my contacts, calendar etc are accessed from Google. You can do the same with documents.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
iv just started to use flickr as well it's quite good easy to access from laptop or main pc so can grab my photos any time

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I use a mix of 2x 1TB USB drives (that synchs from the main PC and the missus' work machine), Flickr, and a box.net account. I do have duplication, but I prefer to think of it as redundancy. I'm just working out what to do about giving my Galaxy Tab access to the network at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom