Photography Photography on a novice level

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
So last Christmas i got a Canon EOS 1100D. But really, I have no clue how to use it properly. It feels like i am only getting 5% out of its full potential. I've tried reading up on stuff online, but it all seems very technical and not for beginners at all.

I know that it'll take years to fully master the skill, but I want to up the quality of my photos. My main concerns are the lighting, white balance, shutter speed and different settings in the camera.

So any simple advice on how to improve my photos and maybe some do's and don'ts for a beginner?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For now, ignore all the technical stuff. Put the camera on auto and concentrate on learning how to frame shots. If you don't have that skill then no amount of playing with settings will make your photographs look good. Learn about basic stuff like "rule of thirds", "depth of field", "looking space". Once you understand the basics of what makes a good photograph, then you can play around with the other stuff.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Use Flickr or 500px to see how others handle the sorts of shots you have been taking and want to improve on. Look at the composition as @Tom says, look at the EXIF to see how the camera is set up, look at any filters they are using.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I have to agree with @Tom here, screw the technical stuff, put it on auto and start with the composition.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Hey @CorNokZ! found this while browsing Imgur and thought of you and your camera. I'm not sure how much help it is, but I found it quite interesting. As with everything else (also noted in the edit) it's not for all situations but more of a guideline where to start.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EcrTuZF

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hey @CorNokZ! found this while browsing Imgur and thought of you and your camera. I'm not sure how much help it is, but I found it quite interesting. As with everything else (also noted in the edit) it's not for all situations but more of a guideline where to start.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EcrTuZF
View media item 785View media item 786View media item 787View media item 788View media item 782
Just stuff I took in October.

I need to post prod it.

Was North Wales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom