Question Phone Unlock...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, if I dump Orange off to go with Virgin Mobile on a £12/month sim-only deal - (1200 minutes/unlimited text/1Gb data - which is way more than I use) do I need to unlock my orange-branded SGS3?

Do I have to get the unlock code off them or would installing cyanogenmod pretty much do the trick for me? Or is there a way to do it unmodded?

I hate phones me :)

ileks

Part of the furniture
I'm in almost exactly the same situation. Same networks, I just have a HTC something instead. Would love to know.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You ask them, they are entitled to charge you for the service. Shouldn't be a lot, more an admin fee.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you are over 3 months into your contract Orange will unlock it for you it costs just over £20 and I think Pay as you Go is the same.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You ask them, they are entitled to charge you for the service. Shouldn't be a lot, more an admin fee.
If you are over 3 months into your contract Orange will unlock it for you it costs just over £20 and I think Pay as you Go is the same.

I'm out of contract now and I'm loathe to pay for an unlock for a phone I now own. Is there not a way of doing it without ponying up to Orange?

Orange have proper fucked me off btw. Cost me a fortune by acting like a cunt of a company and there was nothing I could do about it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I'm out of contract now and I'm loathe to pay for an unlock for a phone I now own. Is there not a way of doing it without ponying up to Orange?

Orange have proper fucked me off btw. Cost me a fortune by acting like a cunt of a company and there was nothing I could do about it.
Unlock your Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2 and Ruby. Free. No Rooting. No Hacking.

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock
Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
(after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in
[6] Network Lock then choose
[4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't wish to hijack a thread, but I've got about 4 months to go on my iPhone 5 Vodafone contract (SIM is in a Nexus 5 though) and I want to use a different network's SIM in my iPhone 5.

Anyone got a way to unlock for free because I'm a tight Scotsman? I'm not rooting / jailbreaking.

Syri

FH is my second home
if it's a contract phone and you're at the end of the contract, I think most networks issue a free unlock. I know when I had my iphone 3gs on o2, they unlocked it when I asked them to, without charging for it. Worth giving them a call.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
iPhone unlocks are via apple thigh.. The network request the code from Apple iirc, and claim apple charge.

soze

I am a FH squatter
if it's a contract phone and you're at the end of the contract, I think most networks issue a free unlock. I know when I had my iphone 3gs on o2, they unlocked it when I asked them to, without charging for it. Worth giving them a call.
From what we have seen they nearly all still charge an admin fee. If you are on a new contract the may wave that fee but if you have migrated away you would be very lucky.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I don't wish to hijack a thread, but I've got about 4 months to go on my iPhone 5 Vodafone contract (SIM is in a Nexus 5 though) and I want to use a different network's SIM in my iPhone 5.

Anyone got a way to unlock for free because I'm a tight Scotsman? I'm not rooting / jailbreaking.
@Ch3tan is right the code come from Apple. If you are happyto jailbreak your phone you can make it sim free until it is reset. But i have nevr done that with a 5.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The code might come from Apple (dubious) but I've never been charged for unlocking an iPhone. It's worth a phone call if nothing else. The only other iPhone I unlocked was via a jailbreak.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The code might come from Apple (dubious) but I've never been charged for unlocking an iPhone. It's worth a phone call if nothing else. The only other iPhone I unlocked was via a jailbreak.
It is not a code on the iPhone (or never has been for me) the network request the unlock and Apple release a Carrier Settings update for that phone. The next time you update you will go sim free. I had to do it recently on 40ish phones and we paid £20 a pop from EE. They said they were not charging for the unlock as we had run the 12 month contract but they were entitled to charge us an admin fee. We spoke to Apple but they all but said tough shit.

leggy

Probably Scottish
It is not a code on the iPhone (or never has been for me) the network request the unlock and Apple release a Carrier Settings update for that phone. The next time you update you will go sim free. I had to do it recently on 40ish phones and we paid £20 a pop from EE. They said they were not charging for the unlock as we had run the 12 month contract but they were entitled to charge us an admin fee. We spoke to Apple but they all but said tough shit.

Thanks for clarifying :)

I did it through O2 and it was on two 3Gs ... I don't remember the process now, as it was during the bronze age, but I didn't pay back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom