Phone call from Microsoft...yeah right!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just got home from work and my dad instantly peppers me with "the router is not working".

I notice google worked, but when I tried to go to several websites, most of them failed. I am fairly sure the bbc and yahoo websites are not 'down' but they failed to load.

First thoughts are a virus on the machine. I turn my pc on and notice common websites are not loading. I check the router and it seems ok. I notice these are also failing to load on my mobile phone connected to the wireless.

All of a sudden a guy phones saying he is from Microsoft with a thick indian accent...I immediately hang up.

I restart the router via the router's console and everything appears to be ok.

I am concerned that we receive the Microsoft call (normally they ask you to check event viewer and trick you into thinking you have a problem) whilst the router is acting very strange.

Anyone know of similar cases? I am a little lost on what to do other than anti virus/malware scans etc.
I logged into the router and cannot see any new connections (BT Home hub).

Nate

FH is my second home
Well, you've tried switching it off and on again. I'm all out of ideas :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its the FBI! freeze motherfucker!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Was probably a dos attack on your IP hence rebooting the router resolved the issue. Just make sure the router is not on the default password and check your port forwarding rules. Most of these scammers will not hack a router just link your IP to the phone number somehow and hope for a a non techie to pick up. My Granddad has had a similar call before but hang up because the guy kept saying desktop to which my Granddad replied "but it's a laptop"

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Thanks Soze. Gonna have a quick check on the router now for port forwarding. Password had been changed a while back :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Those indian guys ring me fairly frequently.

I look forward to their calls, they brighten up a dull day sometimes. Last time I told the guy I created the virus he said my PC had, and was intending to use it to DDos his servers. He didn't get it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom