Summo

Heh heh.

I've got ADSL. My HL pings have dropped from around 200 to less than 50. :D

Everything is right in the world.

:D

W

Will

Why didn't you get a cable modem?

Only teasing, I know why already. Welcome to the broadband forum, make yourself at home. You are one of us now.:D

S

SoWat

Tsk, another forum falls into the ever-expanding SomeGuy portfolio.

Jest kiddin' ;)

Welcome and enjoy.

Which ISP did you go with?

S

Summo

I'm with Nildram through the *cough* Jolt offer. £75 set-up and £50 per month (after VAT).

Steep but I can't cope with meh modem any more, and I was paying around that with pre-6pm Internet calls anyway.

I'm a happy bunny. :)

Now I just need a bigger hard drive to store all meh newly downloaded stuff. ;)

M

ManDevil

I'm with them too. Pings should be even better after the new year as well as they are upgrading their main pipe :clap:

S

SoWat

Nildram are, or at least were, the dog's bollocks for gaming. They'll be back up there again when they get their new fat pipe installed.

I'm with BTOpenworld, who were pretty dire, for gaming anyway, until they upgraded a number of gateways to 155 megawotsits. I get around 25-35 ping (quake3) and no packetloss. For once, BT have actually done something right!!

I guarantee that you'll never go back to dialup after a few weeks of ADSL :)

M

ManDevil

btw- if you want better pings until they get the upgrade done email adrian@nildram.net, and ask if he has any spare logins left on the Newnet pipe, you just need to give him your email, login & your main usage (ie. P2P, gaming etc). That way you've got a choice of two logins, the alternate pipe seems really good for games, on some servers pings as low as 25 :D . See the forums at ADSL Guide UK for more info.:rolleyes:

E

Embattle

Just to piss on your joy, it won't last. The simple reason a company does such an upgrade is so that it can cope with more users, at first great but it slowly seeps away.

N

Nighty-

It's amazing to think I've had a cable modem for like a year and 2 months now :(
You get used to it VERY quickly, went on a mates modem and almost slit my wrists waiting for pages to load :(

N

Nighty-

You have no reason not to be on IRC now someguy :D

S

SoWat

The upgrades performed by BTO, and soon Nildram, are due to the fact that the gateways seemed to be clogging up well before their capacity was reached. Attempts to throttle P2P users just made it worse. I understand that the cpu overhead of throttling was too much for the routers.

As far as BTO goes, BTNet (it's sooo confusing) have twiddled with their routers and virtually eliminated the packetloss (we no longer route back into BTNet after exiting). Whether this has been done in response to the torrent of complaints they received, or in preparation for some future on-demand services is anyone's guess.

Every service I've tried from 9600 modems to ADSL has deteriorated over time, as more users climb onboard. One just hopes that the ADSL companies involved will try and stay one step ahead of the game now they know the score.

For purely game-playing, cable would be best, but it's not available everywhere, and it is not the always nirvana it's purported to be.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Nighty

You get used to it VERY quickly, went on a mates modem and almost slit my wrists waiting for pages to load :(

Had to use my dads modem once to update his laptop, bollocks to that. Got a Intel Anypoint device and added it to the one my sister and I use. Now everyone has 512K access :)

J

Jasio

heh, your all in England and talk about England bases ISP's, so you dunno much about my ISP. Anywayz, im in North America (Canada, not America) and I have cable. Its totally awesome. Free installation, $40 (canadian dollars a month which is like $20 American a month) for the service. 1.5MB of bandwidth, and average download speed of 200-450kb/sec its gone to over 550kb/sec (have a MB woohoo). Anyway... ill be going now.

:clap: for my ISP :clap:

W

Will

Aye, my friends in the states get far better deals of their broadband connection, except for the poor bastards who were with excite@home. 4meg downstream cut to 1.5meg overnight, and that was the lucky ones who didn't get any down-time.

/me waits for his bigger connection (24 days and counting):D

And I'm Scottish:p

J

Jasio

Nice. Same thing here, overnight connections x2 faster.

And woohoo for Scotland. ;)

S

SoWat

Yeah, but the downside is you have to live in Canada, or even worse the USA...

:uhoh:

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy
No one's sharing my bandwidth. :eek:

Doesn't bother me as all see does is use MSN chat and all he does is look at the odd web page :)

I've read a lot about US/Can based ISPs.....they may be faster but it seems they have a higher ratio of problems.

J

Jasio

Hey! Canada's cool. We got 2nd best ski slopes in the World so hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahah.

On the other hand you have better music :(

But again we got better internet connection. :D

Hehe,

S

Summo

I hear America smell of p00 and wee. Is that true?

T

Testin da Cable

no, but the people either look like poo or plastic [depends if you're in southern california [sp?] or not]

J

Jasio

heh... good thing Im in Canada, thank goodness we got a border :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom