Football PES or Fifa - Which will you buy?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Both demos are now up on XBL and presumably the PS3 equivalent - has anyone else played them?

I've been playing PES since #5 and unfortunately after PES6, i've been massively letdown with each release but stuck with it out of faith and a glimmer of hope that the next one might finally address the issues within them.

Having downloaded the latest PES demo i'm somewhat underwhelmed with it. Some things have been fixed, but the gameplay still feels like a backwards step from where PES fans are looking for it to go.

I'm now downloading the Fifa demo to see what it's like, if i'm impressed i may make the switch.

Anyone else tried the demos out yet?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I've been a dedicated PES fan since numero uno and has stuck with it simply because FIFA was shite, but as you said after PES6 the games didn't get better, they got worse and FIFA got better.

As goes for the new games, I haven't tried them, but something tells me that the FIFA game will be better

Marc

FH is my second home
I have been underwhelmed by both of them tbh. I dont think I am going to play either

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Which one do you normally play Marc?

TBH i would be happy if they updated the stats and squads for PES6 each year instead of releasing a new one, the graphics mean fuck all if the gameplay sucks :mad:

Marc

FH is my second home
Which one do you normally play Marc?

TBH i would be happy if they updated the stats and squads for PES6 each year instead of releasing a new one, the graphics mean fuck all if the gameplay sucks :mad:

I stuck with the last PES over fifa 09. But they havent really addressed any of the issues. The game engine for the new PES is bizarre and horendous imo.
Animation, where to start with it, it's horrendous. There has to be frames missing from the demo, they jitter about like they've got a horrible disease.

Onto the gameplay, again absolutely terrible. The passing is 100% accurate, so you can literally play it by pinging ultra quick passes up the field in zig zags. The ball feels has the aerodynamic properties of a large potato, falling quicker than gravity would allow with a thud. But the most shocking thing of all is the player speed. Instant acceleration from a standing start to instant standing again, no momentum or physics involved with the players at all.

With a bit of practice you can do some nice things with the ball and I scored a couple of impressive looking goals, but the experience is bizarre. It's like a 1990's arcade game.

I'm completely bemused by it all.

As for FIFA, well I just didnt like it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Don't like either, there hasn't been a game of this type I have enjoyed for at least 5 years to be honest.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
I stuck with the last PES over fifa 09. But they havent really addressed any of the issues. The game engine for the new PES is bizarre and horendous imo.
Animation, where to start with it, it's horrendous. There has to be frames missing from the demo, they jitter about like they've got a horrible disease.

Onto the gameplay, again absolutely terrible. The passing is 100% accurate, so you can literally play it by pinging ultra quick passes up the field in zig zags. The ball feels has the aerodynamic properties of a large potato, falling quicker than gravity would allow with a thud. But the most shocking thing of all is the player speed. Instant acceleration from a standing start to instant standing again, no momentum or physics involved with the players at all.

With a bit of practice you can do some nice things with the ball and I scored a couple of impressive looking goals, but the experience is bizarre. It's like a 1990's arcade game.

I'm completely bemused by it all.

As for FIFA, well I just didnt like it.

I know exactly what you mean with the animations. I tried out the kick feint a few times and the players seem to skip half way through the feint animation back to normal running.

Dissappointing given the hype that was put behind this game this year :/

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
FIFA 09 was decent and son loves it so will probably go FIFA 10

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Fifa, will give both a good go when they are released, but PES has not done anything good since 6.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
norm play pes, but been swaying towards fifa this time round. As been said majorily disappointed in last couple pes's.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
havent played a football game for a long long time i'd have to say fifa however.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I still play PES 6 it's the best in the series.

I bought Fifa 09 again for £3 the other day and i like it but fuck does things get on my nerves i'll list a few.

1. Defenders vs Attackers the attacker wins a lot of the time and i have seen it time and time again where Rooney/Adebayor/any other top striker shrugs off 2 defenders or even beats them to the ball by miles and go on to score. Some of the teams are ridiculous Arsenal for example all of their players are so fast you will struggle to catch any of them in a full run.

2. Keepers are way to far off their line every online match your can bet your fat hairy arse the other guy will belt it from the half way line and try and score because a lot of the time it does work.

3. Lobs, again the keepers can't save these because they are automatically too far off their line and the moment they step forward you can lob for a free goal.

I liked PES 6 because i knew that if i got my defence right nobody would get near my net even when playing as a lesser team vs the inter/man u boys.

I already hear in Fifa 10 people have found that if you shoot from a 45 degree angle near the half way line with the fineese shot you can score a lot, probably explains why i was belting in 30-40 yarders in the demo with little effort.

Thes PES 10 demo sucked arse and i will not be fooled into buying it for the 3rd time sorry they need to either completely rework the entire game or not bothering releasing it at all because at the moment it's just putting the series to shame.

Seabass it's time to go imo.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
im not a fan of PES, always been a fifa boy :p i played the demo of 10 and its pretty neat, i like the new one, passing seems faster and players seem to be a bit less stupid (less standing around watching the ball as it rolls past)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Neither seem gr8 tbh... Doesn't seem to be any good sports games out atm, I think only console games I'll be playin this autum will be moden warfare 2 and assasins creed 2 :D

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Well after spending most of the afternoon flicking between the two heres my findings;

PES

Markedly improved graphics from the last one (this is pretty much where the good points stop)

Controls and gameplay seem very sluggish by comparison to previous versions

As Marc said you can ping a pass with pinpoint accuracy, whether its 4 yards or 40 yards away.

The keepers still spill everything despite claims from Seabass that they were fixed

Players are still sent off for practically anything

The AI seems to have improved marginally from previous games, but is still prone to messing itself up.

The system for setting up a game is a real headache

Through-balls are successful very few times, L1+Triangle/Y balls are still not worth using in normal open play.

Fifa

Nice on the eye, can't comment on the improvements from previous versions

Passing seems a lot more difficult but satisfying having to choose a direction and power, similar to the manual pass in PES.

Seems more challenging to set up genuine scoring opportunities and more reliance on good possession rather than giving it to a dribbler and running around everyone.

Player control seems a bit sharper than PES, but still nothing on PES6.

The commentary is refreshing from PES, where i'm sure Lawro will ensure i play with the game muted should i buy PES.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The prob with Fifa is that the strikers are insane on the game give to them and watch them barge through your defence while you have a deathgrip on A for pressure and go onto score, that is what i don't like.

I'm really angry that they fucked up PES for the 3rd time in a row tbh and if the online is a disaster again for the 3rd time then it's the final nail in the coffin, i don't know if i should bother buying Fifa 10 at all because in my heart i'll always love PES :(

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Just won a penalty shootout in Fifa, with the final save from Cech the striker from the other team started celebrating, despite the fact that i'd won.

Hmmm :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I bought Fifa 09 and Pes 2009. Sold Pes even tho i've preferred the Pes games over the years. Ended up getting bored of Fifa so have been playing Pes (round brothers). Gonna get the new pes as it's more fun for me.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
I've always been a PES fan, last FIFA game I got was '99, but I must say, they have been going down hill since 6, I also hate the fact that a player can have 99 top speed and still be caught by a defender who has 60 speed. Played the FIFA 10 demo at my friends house, and it is rather good, although I don't like the fact that you cannot dribble anyone, it's a bit unrealistic. BUT don't have a console that can play either games, so won't be getting either =(

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Played the FIFA 10 demo at my friends house, and it is rather good, although I don't like the fact that you cannot dribble anyone, it's a bit unrealistic.

erh, you can. The dribble system in fifa 10 is probably the best part of the game :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
erh, you can. The dribble system in fifa 10 is probably the best part of the game :)

dont you have to play it like a 'beat em up' with all "move stick up, left, right, down+R2" to feint etc?

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
dont you have to play it like a 'beat up' with all "move stick up, left, right, down+R2" to feint etc?

yep, while holding down LT.

Move LS up - Left, and the play does a move with his left foot etc :) it does make sense once you've gotten used to it.

here's a goal I made in the demo, where I dribble a bit. http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9238340

Also - and this goes for both demoes - The builds we're playing are a few months old, according to the developers. I know that the goalkeepers are a bit more defensive in one of the newer fifa builds.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
zoom in and out just a little more to make it a bit more action-packed Wonk

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
zoom in and out just a little more to make it a bit more action-packed Wonk

hah, it looks like the cameraman has parkinson :D

It didn't shake before I uploaded it :( I dunno what went wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom