Science Perseid meteor shower this weekend

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Lots of space stuff going on at the minute, and the talk is that the Perseid meteor shower is not going to disappoint this year. The peak of the shower will be Sunday night into Monday morning, but there have been a lot of reports of viewings the past night or two, so there is a good chance of seeing things early tonight. The best part is that the weather forecast is for clear skies for most of the country, so for all you London whiners, GET OUT OF THE CITY.

http://www.meteorwatch.org/meteor-info/the-perseid-meteor-shower/

http://www.wjla.com/blogs/weather/2012/08/2012-perseid-meteor-shower-display-this-weekend-16381.html

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I've always wondered if there's a possibility that the perseids could actually cause damage to "civilization". You know, smushed up rocks etc. Bet you spaceguys would know ;)

Talking possibility here, as in freak chance etc.

old.user4556

No, because it's particles of dust.

rynnor

Rockhound
Saw 7 perseids tonight - 6 tiny ones and one brighter.

Saw a number of sattelites including one very bright one - ISS?

old.user4556

Most probably, both passes were very bright, first pass was quite low and went far into the east where as the second pass was quite high and disappeared overhead.

old.user4556

Because they are meteors, and there are lots of them. Hence, meteor shower.

old.user4556

Yes, therefore dust and tiny objects create meteors as streaks in the sky as they burn up.

Meteorites on the other hand actually reach the earth.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah no, i just always thought a meteor had a size thing. It's not exactly something that you need defined or look up :LOL: Learn something every day.

Any idea if there's a livestream of the sound they make this year?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Heard a meteorite hit ground a couple miles from where i live (well atleast the fizz of it coming through the atmosphere like it was within a couple of miles), while having a ciggy last night.

Wish i could find what landed it would be worth a mint

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I went out on to the heather waaaay outside the city with a bunch of mates (even girls!). We brought some wine, chow and cameras. Sadly, the idiot in charge of the cameras "forgot" to check if they had T or B functions and also didn't bring a remote release gizmo so we have no pictures. Cracking night: we saw a whole bunch of *really* awesome Perseids and one of the girls told a bunch of awfully dirty jokes lol. The light pollution was shocking though, even way out on the heather. I'd say it went about 30-40% up to the zenith :-/

You get any pics in, G?

old.user4556

I saw fuck all. It was cloudy. Not happy.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I saw Jupiter last night. Next to the moon. Bloody bright.

old.user4556

Yeah Jupiter is back in the sky now.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Popped my head out about 1.30AM last night and saw a glorious sight of a newly risen waning half moon, Jupiter shining brightly, the Pleiades just above and to the right of Jupiter and a clear sky showing many many stars. The only thing that could have put a cherry on the top would have been a meteor streaking through while I watched.

Looking forward to the Orionids in a months time.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Will try to sneak out later for a spot of star-gazing.

Tomorrow's supposed to be warm & sunny but more cloud. Rain & cooler autumnal weather on its way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom