Perl or PHP?

S

(Shovel)

I'm redevloping my current website and having tampered around with Perl I'm tempted to code interactive sections this way, including posting of new pages and columns.
However, I have the "template" designed and essentially need to add code where content needs to be added. I am aware that PHP would fit the bill quite nicely.

I'll be investing in some web hosting that supports both in July, for now I have Free.Prohosting which supports Perl.

Given what little I've described, which would you recommend I use? I have programming experience in application languages already.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Well, I've only used perl but found it to be very powerful, I've coded most of my webby with it.

O

old.Kez

Go with the one you feel most familiar or comfortable with. End of discussion.

(I don't know how experienced you are with either, so there!)

O

old.Jas

Perl is a good skill to have, although maybe a bit too industrial strength for your average site

I personally favour ASP, moving towards ASP.net when I get around to porting all my code.

S

soerenfleischer

I recommend PHP.

It's fast, easy to code (especially with mysql-backend) and the help at www.php.net is just great.

S

ShockingAlberto

Depends what you want to do dunnit. Looking at the purpose of languages is good:
Perl - Created for dealing with ascii files.
Php/Asp - Created to make webpages.

If you're going to do everything with textfiles, then perl might be a good bet, but if you're using an SQL server, then it won't be.

S

(Shovel)

which is a pain cause I'm intending to do both.
I shall play with PHP and see if the ASCII work is too limiting for what I want, from reading the help docs it should be ok.
Perls general coding was impressive but it completely messes about with how I like to code websites. The PHP way of adding tags is far nicer.
Both are set up and working on my PC though so I shall compare. Nothing is going to be overly advanced so it shouldn't be a problem... hopefully.

If there are any PHP resources dedicated to text file handling I'd be interested to read them, links appreciated.

T

Tempy_Incursion

Originally posted by soerenfleischer
I recommend PHP.

It's fast, easy to code (especially with mysql-backend) and the help at www.php.net is just great.

:clap: Long live PHP and MySQL! :D

Users who are viewing this thread