Perils of leading a raid

K

kirennia

Tonight we made up a random raid that went pear shaped, many reasons, one part was kinda my fault but anyways, heres the main beef about it all.

It was assigned that Hinan was relic leader but half way through he asked me to lead because he was getting spammed senceless for cg invites. So anyways, he became the cg leader instead and left me to driving and /yelling orders. It started off ..... not very well tbh. When I say it was a rushed raid, I really do mean it was a rushed raid. I offered in the cg 11 rams. I had 7 in sausage and 4 at odins pk. Of all of these offered, only 4 were picked up, so I thought that everyone must be okay, have their own rams etc so didn't put anymore thought into it as people were saying they were fine. half way there, asked who had what rams etc. No reply. Ask again, some1 says they r carrying a ram solo. So that makes 5 rams. I then repeated a few more times and it was obvious it wasn't going to succeed with such little siege equipment but none-the-less people still seemed happy to carry on and were giggling about how it wasn't gonna work. Then the pm's start.....I had 7 different people pm'ing we in all, all saying, lets do this instead, every though most people were still dead set on at least giving it a go. People were saying 'well at least when this goes wrong i can go to sleep knowing I would have done the right thing'. Okay so what shall I do.....listen to the majority or suddenly turn around and say.....some1's just pmed me saying lets do summitelsse so lets turn around and go do this instead? Once the wheels are in motion, it is extremely difficult to stop again. From experience of previous raids where people have logged off, left, suggested summitelse, sticking to the original plan when in a big raid is the only way forward. I had many suggestions, including taking 3 different keeps instead, taking the force aaaaaaall the way to emain and bash on their power relic instead (imagine the logistics of turning round 70 people at 11 oclock at night when most are going to log soon anyways), going to kill legion (no comment) and other more plausable ideas. Anyways, I was then getting nasty pm's from people constantly about the entire thing. I was not particularly impressed : / The moral of the story here is if you have an idea in the middle of a raid, the chances are a lot of people also have ideas and it doesn't help to be spammed in the middle of trying to drive and figure a way of attack out.

Anyways, we move on, getting closer and closer and then find out that more people have rams so thats okay but it helps a lot to know before hand so you can set out who goes where. So when a raid leader asks a question, please don't presume they know already, answer. Then, we draw closer and I yell out who should use which ram for which door and then find out the ram carrying groups weren't with the zerg : /

So then I changed the ram groups again and we drew closer...I then receive word of mids roaming around the keep (/send) so try to proceed with haste.

As we draw upto the slope of the relic keep, I get some1 pm'ing me saying 'FFS, ANSWER MY DAMN QUESTION', I read up the chat, find out they wanted to take a keep instead (3 different suggestions of this) by which time, my lapse in concentration has meant I've auto walked the zerg onto the bottom of the slope and didnt have time to set-up a yell of orders or think about it. On noticing this I stupidly /yell CHARGE!!!.....

.....probably the n00biest thing you can ever yell when faced by lvl 70 mobs.....

It was a split second angry /yell which caused a wipe-out. The whole thing had gone terribly wrong, I then look around my corpse and see some mages simply standing, looking afk and/or bewildered.

Couple of pm's later of 'told you so' kinda got to me but went back to try take a keep which also failed by a mass of mids when the first door of nottmoor was half down. One second the grps health was at full, 2 seconds of computer catch up later, the entire team was in the red, few seconds later, the entire force disintegrated.

Overall felt a bit of a wally but the moral of the story is that spontaneous raids with mixed groups and mixing command doesn't work.

Over my entire DAoC career I like to think I've made next to no enemies in Albion but this combined with my saturday fiasco cause my alarm didn't bloody go off (raid leader not showing is never good) has probably made me more enemies then I want to think about ;) To those I screwed it up for, sorry did everythin in my power to try an avoid the inevitable, I intend to buy several alarms so that, okay I'll wake up and have a heart attack but at least I'll be on time for the future raids ;)

A confused, Kirennia

p.s.Sorry for long thread but if it cuts down future spam then I hope it's worth it

W

wiiwii

hehe from my leader (zergleader not keep/relic) experiance is that leading is stressfull enought without ppl sending u loads of tips/advice/orders. but next should go better :)

O

old.Elfslayer

I think if you havent lead one of these large scale raids, you should bitch about it. What many people dont realise is that you dont have time to answer everyone in, and this tends to leave them thinking your rude. A little though and respect is what is required for the person who is taking there own time to organise things so we can have run. Anyway my lil necro got splatted 3 times at that relic keep, but hey it was a laugh. Thanks for organising Kirennia

S

skile

Sounds like lack of experience/leadership from your part. You must CHECK (ask in CG how many rams grps have). "How many Rams & People does GoL have?" for example.

S

stighelmer

Shut up Skile.

It was great fun until we got to the keep. And a wittle bit embarrassing once we got there :D

You go Kirennia, I'll follow you anytime ;)

Cheers

O

old.LandShark

Well, for once I agree with Skile :p
But it was extremely hurried and we didn't have enough people anyway - outnumbered by defenders is never a good time to raid.

C

-Calvin-

Kirennia,

For a quickie raid, it had its good points.

1. No one as far as I know stopped to kill guards, we mezzed and ran.

2. Took maybe 20-30 mins to get rolling unlike normal raids.

Yeah we died at the end, but i know even leading 1 fg of guildies can be frustrating and stressful let alone 7+fg of strange albs ;)

so :clap: :clap: :clap: for leading us.

Hope you dont give up.

Calvin - 50 tank
Reaver - 50 CLERIC! FFS MYTHIC STEAL SOMEONE ELSES NAME

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Leading is a full time job.

Unless you've given it a go, its unlikely people will appreciate how hard it is. You have to be a good motivator, a clear communicator, able to react fast and unambiguously to adverse events that can occur without warning.

So well done, K. Notwithstanding the overall outcome, you've given it your best, and that's all anyone can ask of anyone.

A raid leader might want to consider appointing "generals" who could be group leaders. This "Command Tent" structure will communicate in a leadership CG. Only the "generals" will speak to the overall leader, and the grunts talk to their unit leader.

This won't solve spamming by pm's of course, but if everyone is aware of how you organise your raid, you are justified in ignoring them if they abuse the "chain of command". Establishing goals clearly at the start helps; and anyone who has different views basically accepts them, or should leave the raid, as this creates bad morale and fragmented loyalties.

Well, thats theory; well all know practice is entirely different ! But that's the fun of RVR. People just need to chill out if a raid goes badly. Its only a game, and it certainly won't be the last raid that goes tits up. Win some lose some )

W

wiiwii

a well known tactic is too let raid leader USE CAPS, and repeat everything two times :) but feck who wants that burden on there shoulders :(

G

Genesis_of_Ak

A radical solution is the use of /RP_penalty [#][player] command

Leader : OK Everyone make for DC
Grunt : WTF ? We should be going for MMG !!!!
Leader : You got 3 choices : shut up and follow, leave the raid, or carry on mouthing off like a noob and lose realm points
Grunt : STFU !
Leader : /RP_penalty 200 Grunt
Grunt : WTF ! You just deducted 200 RP's from me. I'm gonna...
Leader : /disband Grunt
Leader : /ignore Grunt

P

powahhdagod

=D

Originally posted by Genesis_of_Ak

Leader : You got 3 choices : shut up and follow, leave the raid, or carry on mouthing off like a noob and lose realm points

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

indeed sting like this will force to ppl shut up and listen ;)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Its a shame group leaders can't get a list of players' URL's. Then, armed with Mythic's Group Leader Remote Access Electric Shock Package, you could zap them IRL while they are mouthing off ;p

G

g0ldenbone

You've still got to get credit for getting things together..
Mistakes you can learn from. Actually having the desire (and patience) to lead is the important thing..

Good luck next time :)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Agree, Goldenbone.

Desire is one thing, but doesn't necessarily impart leadership abilities. I think they key word is tolerance - i.e. if someone is putting themselves up in the very visible position of a "leader", then it is so much more pleasant, and gives that person so much more confidence, if the people s/he leads are tolerant and patient.

Keep it up, K !

S

skile

A leader changing plans in the middle of a raid is not possible. We live in a democracy (even in the fiction of DAoC). People attend to the raid to take for example str-relic, not to go on a general rvsrtrip. The leaders job is to lead the people to the place that were planned, then no fights will begin and everyone gets what they want.

S

skile

Agree, Goldenbone.

Desire is one thing, but doesn't necessarily impart leadership abilities. I think they key word is tolerance - i.e. if someone is putting themselves up in the very visible position of a "leader", then it is so much more pleasant, and gives that person so much more confidence, if the people s/he leads are tolerant and patient.

Keep it up, K !

A leader does not lead for own gain, he leads for the peoples gain.

S

skile

If such a situations occur, the raid is already a failiure.

D

darbey

Skile givce us a shout when u r organising next raid

Kirennia well done for coming forward with your account of events, I think a good leader born out of one who recognises their mistakes so they can correct them. I neither have the experience or patience to be involved leading a raid so respect to u for what u did.

K

kirennia

Originally posted by skile
Sounds like lack of experience/leadership from your part. You must CHECK (ask in CG how many rams grps have). "How many Rams & People does GoL have?" for example.

As I said, unfortunately it was a rushed raid. There was only 1fg of all the same guild there so was difficult in itself relaying who had what. Instead of GoL for example, you would have to remember names. Tried writin it down but it was all far too rushed. I asked 5 times how many rams had or maybe more, then right at the last minute more people popped up their heads with rams.

For things such as assigning cg leader, driver, leader, stealther leader, grp leaders, deputy etc, it's always happened but something which started within 30 minutes after the idea was suggested, we weren't that many people and musta had about 5 stealthers at the most...not all of which would have wanted to go roaming solo I guess so a stealther leader wasn't an option. It also wasn't until half way through the raid that I was asked to lead so couldn't plan anythingelse other then cg leader which was simply the guy who was in control at the time. He asked me to take over cause he was getting far too many pm's and prob to do with the fact I'm his son so we could relay info quickly.

Not an ideal raid, never will I have enough experience, or typing skills to cope with the number of pm's I was getting. At one stage the text box was extended half way up the screen and constantly being filled so keeping up, even with 50 word/min typing, I wasn't fast enough.

Rushed raid, quite funny thinking back on it, was posted as a learnin thing more then anything, what I've learnt and hopefully what other people can learn from my mistakes.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Originally posted by skile
A leader does not lead for own gain, he leads for the peoples gain.

Skile - you miss the point completely that is being made by people in this post. Where does it say that leaders lead for their own gain ? It's plain you have no experience of leading; go get some like Kirennia did then we'll listen !

Du kanske vill tänka pa vad du sager innan du skickar meddelanden som avslöjar din ringa ålder och omogenhet !!!

:sleeping:

O

old.Ramas

There's maybe as many as 6 people in Albion who have ever gone through the hassle of putting the relic raid togther which even got as far as starting the attempt. So grats/thanks for making the effort.

My only suggestion from Kirennia's raids is that...

1) Try to SPEAK LIKE THIS and repeat everything you say 3 times (using shift + up).

2) Make macros. People will ask the questions like 'which door do I ram?' endlessly, no matter how often you tell them.

3) Get everyone to confirm when they are actually carrying a ram.

4) Let people pm and make /c suggestions as much as they like, but don't feel you have to respond to them at all, take on the suggestions you think are good, ignore the ones you think are a waste of time. Don't delay decisions replying to people or waiting for people to shut up, just weigh in with the ALL CAPS and macros whenever *you* are ready to do so. The vast majority will follow your lead, and the "ffs this is stupid" crowd aren't generally worth bringing along anyway.

--------------

Everyone else needs to remember that taking relics is a non-trivial excercise and so failure is always a possibility; also, certain people need to remember that there is nothing whatsoever stopping them organising their own damn raid if they didn't like the way this one was run. :)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Originally posted by old.Ramas

4) Let people pm and make /c suggestions as much as they like, but don't feel you have to respond to them at all, take on the suggestions you think are good, ignore the ones you think are a waste of time. Don't delay decisions replying to people or waiting for people to shut up, just weigh in with the ALL CAPS and macros whenever *you* are ready to do so. The vast majority will follow your lead, and the "ffs this is stupid" crowd aren't generally worth bringing along anyway.

--------------

there is nothing whatsoever stopping them organising their own damn raid if they didn't like the way this one was run. :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: well said !

S

skile

Skile - you miss the point completely that is being made by people in this post. Where does it say that leaders lead for their own gain ? It's plain you have no experience of leading; go get some like Kirennia did then we'll listen !

Du kanske vill tänka pa vad du sager innan du skickar meddelanden som avslöjar din ringa ålder och omogenhet !!!

:sleeping:

It was badly put by you, that simple. So sorry for missunderstanding. However, try again and explain what you mean.

If that swedish message was aimed towards me (can't see why it would). Only messages I've sent is to Simius (spellcrafter) for orders, other than that I haven't sent anything.

If you mean forumpost (then say so). If I'm immature, please explain to me why that is. Now go ahead, explain!.

T

Tiarta

i for one know how hard it can be to lead ppl in a raid and its not fun to have such a burden on your shoulder so give the leaders some help instead of flaming.

the raid was a failure even before we got started and not even the BEST general could have made that raid a success.

so relax with the Flaming.

before you continue your flaming then you should try lead a raid yourself before you go flame others.

noone could have saved that raid from a disaster, you cant be successful everytime.

best regards

C

chuckas

Glad to see an explanation here. i was on the raid and along with one a few days earlier it was a fiasco as you say. Both the RR and the nottmoor attack. However I do realise how hard it is to organise....so gratz for taking it on.

However as yet i have not been on a successful relic raid, i guess 1 in 5 succeed....so I may still have to wait a while :)

Hoping for a good relic raid ....

Gillian - lvl 48 inf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom