Performance problems.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
A friend bought a computer one year ago, or something.. on boot, it loads slow.. but with DAoC even slower.. (Other games perform 'normally'). Especially when zoning, it takes forever to get to the 'loading' part, then it takes rather long actually loading, and when im in the next area, it almost goes linkdead because it keeps on loading and loading more stuff (no idea what, dont have this at home).

PC Spec;
intell P4 2.8Ghz
256 DDR Ram
GeForce4 Ti4200 (128MB)

What can i do to improve it's performance? - I tried with and without precaching.

(only program running on background are norton antivirus).

Gahn

Resident Freddy
^^

As a general rule of thumb while playing DAOC either disable NAV or make sure it doesn't check the whole DAOC directory.
Apart this to me seems that:
a) your HD sucks ^^.
b) you need another 256 MB ram (more likely).
c) you didn't defragmented your HD from 1 year on.
d) you don't have latest gfx cards drivers / Directx 9.0b.
e) a mix of the above ^^

Hope this helps.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
yeah.. more memory is definatly a must it seems..

also fragment is a nice option..

thnx

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
As a general rule of thumb while playing DAOC either disable NAV or make sure it doesn't check the whole DAOC directory.
Apart this to me seems that:
a) your HD sucks ^^.
b) you need another 256 MB ram (more likely).
c) you didn't defragmented your HD from 1 year on.
d) you don't have latest gfx cards drivers / Directx 9.0b.
e) a mix of the above ^^

Hope this helps.

Whats NAV? please xplain im trying to optimize my performance too

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
i used to run with 256 and it lagged a bit but these progs helped:

a nice couple of programs called hare/zoom/anticrash all are found on www.dachshund.com (when in daoc disable anticrash it try's to fix daoc and can't ) you can get the full versions by finding the right places (http://www.serialz.to/s2kupdates.html is one place) not that i condone the use of cracked software.

this is a good prog i like running as well especially if you only have 256 of ram:
http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10219611.html?tag=lst-0-2

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like you are using Windows 2000? I had the same problems when I used Windows 2000 (slow loading, linkdeaths, and fps chokes). I switched to Windows XP and now everything is smooth.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
eheh

Ensceptificamuralya said:
norton anti virus

Takes a bite out of your pc performance.

Ditto :) (quite post farming)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Hint for

.. all Windows 2000 users, check your default page file size (control panel > System > Advanced > Performance Options > Change > set 700 - 1200 at least if u have an hard disk larger than 40 gb and 40% at least free).

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Set the minimum value the same as the maximum value (so windows doesnt have to resize constantly) too.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Shafu said:
Sounds like you are using Windows 2000? I had the same problems when I used Windows 2000 (slow loading, linkdeaths, and fps chokes). I switched to Windows XP and now everything is smooth.

win xp home...

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Ensceptificamuralya said:
norton anti virus

Takes a bite out of your pc performance.

Basically all anti-virus programs will hit your performance a little. Each time you open a file, it'll take over, scan it, pronounce it ok, and hand the file back to the opening program. For large files, this isn't very noticable. For lots of small ones (eg. The texture files loading), it can be quite a big hit.

My solution was to exclude the Camelot directory from the always-on anti-virus program, and auto run the full scan at least weekly to compensate (in case I get really unlucky).

The full scan is always a good thing to do fairly frequently anyway, as new viruses may bypass the always-on anti-virus before it's pattern files get updated.

Darzil

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Get more memory. You got a nice processor and a good gfx card there, but they will both be held back with only 256Mb. An extra 128Mb would do the trick if your on a tight budget, but tbh getting another 256Mb is the best thing you could do for your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom